a giant plus quilt for the bed

giantplus

It’s so fun to have a new quilt on the bed! I decided to go all Denyse Schmidt on this one, and pulled fabrics from many of her past lines. I figured this one would be mostly used during the winter, so I went with a darker, wintery feel for the colors, eliminating the brighter prints, and those on a lighter background.

giantplus2

It’s a king sized quilt, made up in a nice and simple plus design – this time in oversized plusses so it all comes together quite quickly! I used 8″ squares here – the five squares can be cut from the width of fabric so I only needed 1/4 yard of each print.

giantplus3

While I have quilted a few larger quilts here, I opted to send this one out. I sent it to Lindsay at Eileen Quilts (she had previously quilted this quilt, which now resides under this one – cold Vermont winters require multiple quilts!). I opted for the fun bubble pattern, and I was so thrilled to see it in person – Lindsay did a beautiful job, as usual!

giantplusbacking

The backing is a pinky purple solid along with a few pieces of the larger printed scraps and I bound it all in the great Denyse Schmidt seedpod fabric. I’ve found many uses for that print recently.

[I just realized that the four quilts on our two beds are all made up of either all, or many, Denyse Schmidt prints – a fan, for sure! (this giant plus, FMF lattice, FMF on point & Drunk Love)]

This entry was posted in Fabric, Posts about Quilts, Quilts and tagged , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

36 Responses to a giant plus quilt for the bed

Jen Collier says:

Your quilt is beautiful! Baby on the bed….priceless!

Jen

Pam Chamberlin says:

Love the giantness of the blocks and the saturatedness of the prints

Carly says:

Beautiful quilt, even more beautiful and rapidly growing up baby! Nice job all around!

Pam Pollock says:

Fabulous! Love the quilt and the baby!

Cristin says:

Flippin’ gorgeous quilt! The quilt on our bed is a tad too small – love this one that hangs down a foot on each side! haha
    Gorgeous quilting too!

(And little Hazel is such a good girl to sit there for you ;-)

Audrie says:

Lovely! I’m planning an entire DS quilt for myself sometime soon, hopefully. Love all the saturated colours!!

Penny G says:

I love the quilt – and hazel is adorable on it!

DianeY says:

Wow! This is beautiful. I have a hoard of Denyse fabrics. Maybe it’s time to use them up!
    Assume you don’t mind if one is inspired (read copy) by this! Could never copy that cute little girl though

Kathy says:

I love it!! Where can I get the pattern? Hazel is adorable by the way :)

Laura Baker says:

Hazel is such a doll! Love the oversized pluses! You are my inspiration to try this pattern.

Fran says:

Great quilt, love it, and fabulous quilting!

Blimey, those are some BIG pluses! Perfectly put in scale by the cute baby. We have had to take our one wool batting lined quilt off the bed as it was too warm – we are having a really mild wet winter over here in the south west of the UK.

It’s fabulous – such a great way of showcasing the fabulous DS prints. Cute baby too ;) x

Awesome idea to jumbo size the squares – I love it!!! And you simply cannot go wrong with DS fabrics for your own bed. :)

Carla says:

Beautiful colour palette in this one and baby is the cherry on top ; )

Jesica says:

Gorgeous! I love plus quilts!

Janet M. says:

This is gorgeous! I’m a big fan of Denyse Schmidt as well and have a whole stack of her fabrics waiting to go into a quilt. Enjoy!!!

Tiffany says:

It’s gorgeous! (Although I think the baby is cuter.) I’m getting ready to quilt a big quilt myself – do you know what kind of batting your quilter used?

Tisa says:

I love it! Any idea how many fat quarters this size took?

Julie says:

Wow – that is a large quilt. It looks absolutely fabulous – so bright and cheerful. Another one to add to my “try one day” list.

The quilt is beautiful, but I’m thinking the best thing you made in this picture is that baby!

any quilt is beautiful with little bit sitting on it.

Big Fan of your style.. I cant wait to share my scrappy strip quilt you inspired me to make. But I have a question. I am going to need a Quilter, What kind of Questions do you ask them ?

Donna R. says:

What quilt? All I see is a beautiful baby …

Netta says:

love the plus design, one of my faves. did you quilt this on your own machine or send it out? I’m just starting to quilt a king size one and it’s a lot of fabric to haul through! But I’m sure it will be worth it.

Julie says:

I LOVE this quilt. You mention that you used quarter yards if each colour but how many quarter yards did you need for this size qut and what are the measurements if the finished quilt?

Did you need to join the wadding?

Julie

emily says:

stunning! and hazel looks like she agrees!

Carla says:

Love how all the colors work together.
    Cute model in the middle. ;o)

I just realized you live in Vermont. We are planning a fall trip to Vermont this year and would love some hints. I always enjoy seeing the quilts you make and I use many as inspiration for my creations. I’m a DS fan too!

sandy says:

Is there a pattern? Is the middle section cut in a large rectangle? Love this quilt. thk

34. Pingback: The Plus Quilt | Vintage Needleworks

amwawillever says:

I commented before on this quilt about how much I love it…can you tell how many fat quarters or 1/4 yard pieces you used and how big it ended up being?