flea market fancy – on point and on the bed (finally!)

fmfonpoint

I think this might be the first quilt I can check off my ‘to finish’ list, though as it happens, I didn’t finish it, Angela did!

But let me back up for a minute… some of you might remember way back when when I made this quilt top. It was long before the Flea Market Fancy reprint, so after spending a lot of time collecting these prints, I decided to bite the bullet and cut into a whole bunch of them to make this queen sized quilt top. You can read more about it here if you care to.

fmfonpoint4

Anyway, like so many other quilt tops, it sat for a very long time. Basting quilts is not my favorite part, so every time I thought about basting a queen sized quilt, I just pushed it further down the list. As luck would have it, I was spared having to baste this one, as I had a chance to send it to Angela Walters, machine quilter extraordinaire. I’ve loved Angela’s work for such a long time, and it was always a dream of mine to be able to have her quilt one of my quilts. (And now, seeing her work in person makes me want to practice, practice, practice!)

fmfonpoint3

I got it back recently and wow, I can’t believe how her quilting totally made this quilt into something really special. She’s used several different straight line quilting designs in the blocks and a variety of additional quilting designs through the sashing, even continuing the sashing into the border in places.

fmfonpoint7

a variety of perfect little cornerstones!

fmfonpoint5

This little bit – those couple of crossed lines – falls near the center of the quilt, and it makes me smile every time I see it.

Do you follow Angela on Instagram? If not, you should! She’s been posting a few videos of her quilting, and wow, it’s mesmerizing! I wish they were longer than 15 seconds, because I could watch it for hours. (This one shows a bit of her ruler work, which I think is how she quilted the straight lines in these blocks)

fmfonpoint6

I opted for a really low loft batting because I wanted this one to be a summer weight quilt. Of course, now that it’s on the bed I can’t imagine taking it off, so it’ll probably be a year round quilt! The backing is mostly a Kona gray (ash?), and nicely shows off the gorgeous quilting. If I were willing to take it off the bed, I might have been able to get a photo of it, but since I’m not, this little peek will have to suffice!

fmfonpoint2

Angela, thanks so much for adding so much to my quilt (and for helping to cross an unfinished quilt off my list!)

This entry was posted in Posts about Quilts, Quilts and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

26 Responses to flea market fancy – on point and on the bed (finally!)

Kar says:

Another beautiful quilt Ashley! The quilting really makes everything zing. :)

Mary says:

Beautiful quilt. It really lets the Flea Market Fancy shine.

And I totally agree with you about Angela’s videos. I usually end up watching them over and over. They never get old.

Pam Pollock says:

Congratulations on your first 2014 finish! Love your quilt!

Linda says:

Beautiful! Both the piecing and the quilting. I hope you are all keeping warm and dry. Kiss those babies for me. 8-)

xo Linda

Stephanie says:

Yes, Denyse created a fabulous fabric line, you pieced it well with sashings to showcase it and Angela topped it off with popping quilting. Congratulations and Enjoy!

CJ says:

It’s wonderful, and so beautifully quilted.

Kaesey says:

Beautiful! Flea Market Fancy is one of my favorite fabric lines and love how all the prints are displayed here.

Janet M. says:

This is so beautiful! I love how this turned out. The piecing is simplistic, but it just pops! You’re quilting looks amazing!

Kay says:

Congrats on your finish!! I love Lea Market fancy, it will always be one of my favourite ranges of fabric, and this looks gorgeous.

Kerry says:

Love the Marimekko Unikko fabric above the bed! I’ve never seen that colorway in that scale. Any chance you remember where you got it? Thanks!

Lana says:

This is so lovely…of course I am a HUGE Flea Market fan…and a ever BIGGER fan of Angela’s….
    The two you are AWESOME!

Andrea W says:

It is absolutely wonderful!

stephanie says:

i love it. it really has some great colors in it. Great job and awesome job by Angela as well.

jam says:

Beautiful. Always loved Flea Market Fancy and now I love it even more.

Teresa says:

This simple quilt layout is so perfect for those vibrant colors…. I love it!

Michele says:

It really is stunning. Yeah for you.

Erin says:

Congrats on the finish! I always really liked this one of yours.

Leslie Mark says:

this is one of the most beautiful and fun quilts I’ve seen. So nice to see it at home on the bed. Congratulations!

Jacqueline VH says:

Hi, what a beauty!!!!
    Do you have a tutorial for this quilt, or is it a purchased pattern?
    If it is yours, what size are the squares, side squares, corner squares and sashing? I am in love with American Jane Potluck and have been hoarding it for such a quilt as this!!!!
    Please let me know!!!
    Jacqueline in Pitt Meadows

Kay Hoeppner says:

This quilt is fabulous, love Flea Market Fancy. I also am wondering what size your squares are and if you have a tutorial. I have some of Denyse’s other lines that I would love to do this way
    Max and Hazel are just precious,give them a hug:)

Jen says:

This is gorgeous! I haven’t been able to cut into my FMF yet. I pull it out every so often to pet it, and have even gotten as far as holding the rotary cutter in my hand before chickening out. LOL! Maybe soon.

25. Pingback: FITF: a giant plus quilt for the bed | Film in the Fridge

Jennifer says:

Wow! Beautiful. May I ask, did you only use fabrics from FMF or were there others included? Thanks!