(flea market) fancy lattice quilt

Do you remember when I made this quilt top? I didn’t, but luckily a look back in the blog archives tells me it was June 7th, 2010. I don’t usually wait quite this long to finish a quilt, but this one ended up pretty large, so it was sent to live a lonely life in the closet of unfinished quilts.

This year I vowed I’d finish up some of those quilts, and to that end I decided to send this one out to be quilted. It was the first quilt I’ve sent out, and I must say that once I got over my little bit of guilt for not doing it myself, I realized how nice it was to pack it all up and have it arrive back just needing a binding!

I sent it to the lovely Lindsay of Eileen Quilts, and she very quickly quilted this one up in a fabulous loopy design. (How’d I pick Lindsay? Both Amanda of Hey Porkchop and Karyn of Make Something have shown gorgeous quilts quilted by Lindsay. In fact, Karyn had this design quilted on her quilt and I loved it so much that I went with the same.) Anyway, she was wonderful to work with and super fast! I was so pleased to receive this big quilt back in the mail, all beautifully quilted.

But back to the quilt! This isn’t the first Flea Market Fancy quilt I’ve made, and I’m sure it won’t be the last (I’m currently in the midst of finishing my FMF Swoon quilt top…), especially now that some of the prints are being reprinted. When I decided to make this quilt, I wanted a quick quilt, and something that would show off the Flea Market Fancy without using up too much of it. I think this lattice design was just perfect on both counts.

When I made this quilt top, I kind of failed to accurately calculate the size I’d need, so this quilt ended up being king sized, even though we don’t have a king sized bed. But even though it’s large, I love it on our bed (and who doesn’t need some extra covers, especially when you sleep next to a middle-of-the-night cover-snatcher?!)

This entry was posted in Posts about Quilts, Quilts, [search] String Quilts. Bookmark the permalink.

24 Responses to (flea market) fancy lattice quilt

Katy says:

Oooh, that looks fab, and a definite cover-snatch buster!

Faith says:

So pretty! I was wondering if yours was the one she was quilting in her sneak peek photo on Flickr. I love the design you guys chose. Maybe you should just get a king bed? :)

Kara says:

WOW, it’s beautiful! Good job!!! I love the wall color too…do you remember what it is?

PS- Starting a 31 day photography challenge on my blog today if you’d like to play along! :) http://www.myothercarisacrane.blogspot.com/2012/02/ooops-i-did-it-again.html

Flaun says:

I love how beautiful some very simple quilts are. This one is absolutely no exception. Nice to have it on your bed, now, I’m sure!

Jennie T. says:

Ah, the middle of the night cover-snatcher – I have one of those myself. Way to foil him with a larger than life quilt.
    It’s beautiful – all the white makes me happy.

I REALLY love this, and I kinda like it big, it looks great! That backing color is nice too, you should pull it back so you can see it!

Linda says:

Lovely, as usual! You can make mine just like it…8-) And I love that loopy quilting. Oh, just tell Morgan that you’re sending it to me……….lol

Another gorgeous quilt Ashley! It looks great on your bed! I love the quilting pattern that Lindsay used on it.

EG says:

Wow, Eileen Quilts is out of Roanoke, VA! We’re practically neighbors! I’m so excited about that!

Lindsay F says:

I absolutely love it! I was wondering when we would see this top again.

ktmade says:

I love that one. I’m really enjoying quilts with so much white background, and this is a design I haven’t seen before.

Hmmm – so lovely and gratifying – I need a handmade quilt on my bed pronto. My eyes aren’t what they used to be – so to speak – the guilt is passing – in other words why wait? there’s plenty of other quits to DIY I say to myself. I soenjoy your writeups – Thanks for continued inspiration and motivation!

Pippa Knight says:

Definitely need a larger than bed sized quilt. I dont share my bed with anyone (so no cover snatching) but I do have a tendancy to pile it up behind me as I sleep so oversized is the way to go :D

Peter says:

Beautiful quilt, so glad you decided to pull it out and finish it. It may be big, but it looks great on that bed. Completely hides all the mattress and box spring unlike some regular sized quilts.

Jude says:

How did you get the strips to meet at mitered points? Do you have a tutorial for this written up? It’s really great! thanks for sharing!

karyn says:

it’s so lovely!! amazing design and i just love the quilting pattern so much. so happy you enjoyed working with lindsay! it’s pretty great to have a quilt done for you every now and then!!

lynn says:

this is so beautiful! i may have to move this quilt pattern to the top of my list (w/DS). thanks!

Rosa says:

This is so lovely.
    Love the simplicity:-)

Lynnet says:

Love the loopy quilting! Beautiful simplicity and colors. I’m curious about your mitered points as well.

Claire Jain says:

I like my quilts a little on the larger side myself. Better to have generous drops and pillow tucks than to have the sheets showing, a weird pet peeve of mine ;-) This is a beautiful quilt. I dig the color of the binding, and the quilting that they did looks great :-)

Sophia says:

This is beautiful Ashley! I love the design too! What color fabric to you have on the binding? So wonderful!!

Cindy Estrada says:

I would like to make this quilt. Could I have or purchase the pattern. Many of these type quilt patterns show it by making a triangles to piece together. DId you do that with the white or use a different technique?
    Thanks,