double gauze plus – a quilt top

doublegauzeplus5

As you can imagine, life’s been busy around here lately. Luckily Henry seems to be a pretty calm baby so far – spending most of his days asleep (and then most of his nights awake…I’m very tired!).

doublegauzeplus

I spend quite a lot of time sitting up in bed feeding the baby and on occasion I find myself in somewhat of a daze, just staring atΒ  the quilt covering our bed (this king sized plus quilt out of favorite Denyse Schmidt prints). One sleepless night I decided a plus quilt might be a good way to ease back into quilting.

doublegauzeplus4

I had purchased many of these lovely Nani Iro prints a while back at my local fabric shop, and paired them with a few others from my double gauze stash, thinking these soft colors would make a nice quilt. The stack happened to still be hanging out on my sewing table, so it was easy enough to decide to use that stack for the plus quilt.

doublegauzeplus2

You’ll notice that a few of the prints were swapped out – after arranging them on the design wall I felt the darker ones stood out too much in this type of design, so they were replaced with a few other lighter prints. I’m really pleased with the final arrangement and of course I can’t wait to wrap up in double gauze goodness!

doublegauzeplus3

(Henry seems to be a fan as well and snoozed here on the floor for quite a while the other afternoon. His bed? Not so much…)

Another double gauze quilt, in case you're interested...

This entry was posted in baby, Fabric, Posts about Quilts and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

15 Responses to double gauze plus – a quilt top

Rike says:

He’s so cute! And the quilt looks amazing. Hope to get such pictures in October, too. πŸ˜‰
    Greetings, Rike

Jen says:

Love the soft colors of the quilt, and can only imagine how cuddly it must be. He looks so peaceful on the quilt top.

Diane W. says:

Did you hand or machine quilt it? I want to make one, because they’re so incredibly soft!

Bethany says:

So sweet. I want to thank you for your post on the Heather Jones class, I was able to attend. I wouldn’t have known about had you not posted that announcement.

Afton says:

What a cutie with a lot of hair! I totally get you on the sleep thing.

Rosemary Bolton says:

The quilt is beautiful. Perfect for this fabric.
    Your little one is so sweet. My granddaughter never sleeps… kind of like how my girls were 25 years ago
    Try to stay ahead haha, well, how about “you are not alone”
    I used to think that when I was up all night and you look outside and they entire area, every house, BLACK DARK. Everyone nestling in their beds…. except me and baby. I know that feeling

Coastal gray says:

Such lovely colors/prints….. With of course a beautiful baby on top….
    Could you tell us the size of the squares?

Sara says:

So Sweet! The baby and quilt seem to go together, in their sweetness—

Barbara says:

The quilt is lovely, and the snugly little baby is beautiful.

rbjaneite says:

How utterly gorgeous! Is it tricky to piece the double gauze without it fraying too much? What size seam allowances do you use?

Jo says:

Omg! Those photos of Henry have made me so clucky! I miss those early newborn days

Kate says:

When I was up at night feeding my third baby it was your blog I shone into my eyes to keep myself awake! I’d only just discovered quilting and it gave me something to think about beyond how utterly exhausted I was. I think I read your entire blog backwards, as well as Blue is Bleu and Blue Elephant Stitches. I hold you three women responsible for preventing me from slipping into sleep deprivation-induced post natal depression! I hope the night feeds aren’t too frequent and you get some respite soon and I hope sewing and planning quilts gives you the same happiness at a relentlessly tiring time that it did for me. Little Henry is gorgeous!

Samantha says:

Oh, so cute. Your wee Henry reminds me of my own- 12 now!- who had a thick head of dark hair and a tendency not to sleep when I needed him to… A plus quilt is such a simple but satisfying project- and yours is simply lovely.

Oh, you had another baby! Sorry, I am so out of it. So glad for you! I know you’re tired, but do enjoy that sweet baby. He looks perfect.