a catnap rainbow quilt top

catnaprainbow

It was certainly a chilly, gray day for quilt photos, but I think this bright quilt warms it all up. In photos anyway. In real life it was mighty cold! I have been pretty excited about Lizzy House’s new line, Catnap, and when it arrived arranged so nicely in rainbow order from Westwood Acres, I couldn’t resist running with that rainbow idea. I added in a bunch of other rainbow basics for a total of 72 unique prints.

catnaprainbow2

I knew from the outset that I wanted to set the squares on point and to sash it in hot pink. I pulled out a couple pink solids, and when I asked Morgan for his opinion, he thought I should use both. I decided to go with it, using fuchsia for the majority of the quilt, with a corner of raspberry.

catnaprainbow5

And interestingly enough, I only had enough of the fuchsia for this portion of the quilt, so even if it hadn’t been a choice from the beginning, I probably would have decided to substitute another pink to finish the quilt top!

catnaprainbow3

Lizzy’s Catnap is such a fun line, and even though I’m sorta indifferent about cats (I probably shouldn’t say that here, huh? I don’t dislike cats – in fact, I quite like them when I see them, but I just don’t necessarily want to have one. Though that probably has more to do with the fact that I don’t want to be responsible for feeding anyone else!), I’m quite in love with this entire line.

catnaprainbow6

So much so that I couldn’t stop at just one quilt! Next week I’ll show you the second rainbow quilt I made out of these fabrics.

catnaprainbow4

(my quilt photo helper, obviously not bothered by the cold!)

_ _

Oh, one more thing! Over the last couple days I’ve been destashing some harder to find fabrics – it really is time to pare down to just those fabrics I can actually see myself sewing with – and you can find some still available here in my shop. (If you want advance notice for these destash sales, I usually post it on Instagram.)

This entry was posted in Fabric, Posts about Quilts and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

11 Responses to a catnap rainbow quilt top

KB says:

What a delicious quilt!

Fran says:

Absolutely beautiful! Love that dramatic use of pink (and love cats!)

Tina says:

Wow, what a fantastic quilt! And great photos! I love the contrast in the pictures between the hot fuchsia and the pale background!

Anne says:

Absolutely beautiful! I really love the catnap line!

Linda says:

Not only does Morgan add his good genes to those beautiful babies, but he also has good taste in colors!! What a great quilt for such a cold, dreary day. I love it.

xo Linda

KatieQ says:

The quilt is so wonderfully vibrant, I’m surprised it didn’t melt the snow. The little guy is as beautiful as the quilt.

Oh I so love this quilt! And hot pink is this years pantone colour too!

9. Pingback: FITF: double rainbow | Film in the Fridge

Marion says:

Such a beautiful quilt! I like the squares to be on point, it gives the quilt a total different look. My daughter would love it too. Right now she’s into rainbow everything :))

Ashley, I am sending your a congratulations on the interview in the Book QUILTING WITH A MODERN SLANT. I picked the book up this weekend and I am reading every page, and your name comes up but I only know you as Ashley, then it says FITF.. Wow !! I love this book and it has really inspired me and released me from my anxiety to slash my fabric and in one day I have designed a Quilt.. its gonna be gorgeous. But, again, congratulations for an excellent essay in the book, its fabulous.. I love your quilting.