double rainbow

catnapquilts3

While cutting squares for the on point catnap rainbow quilt (clearly lacking a catchy name!) I decided to cut an extra smaller square or two for a second quilt. Cut once, quilt twice, or something like that (cut once, make two quilts? ah, who knows!).

catnapquilts2

I thought it might be fun to see how the two quilts might vary, even though they used the same fabrics. While the first quilt uses larger squares on point, just one square of each print and only the pink solid in the sashing, the simple charm square quilt uses 5″ squares, mostly 2 squares of each print, and a range of complementary solids.

rainbowcatnap

I’ve made many simple patchwork quilts like this one, but I don’t think I’ve ever grouped colors like this – most often I’m trying to evenly disperse both the colors and prints, so it felt a little strange to lay it out like this. But happily, I quite like the end result!

rainbowcatnap2

I know this is a simple quilt, but sometimes, especially now that my quilting time is limited (hello, non-napping baby!), I enjoy just having a chance to sew fabrics together.

catnapquilts

(Again, fabrics include the full range of Lizzy House’s newest line, Catnap, along with a rainbow of other basics and solids from a variety of designers. My previous post includes links for shops selling Catnap.)

This entry was posted in Fabric, Posts about Quilts and tagged , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

11 Responses to double rainbow

NIck says:

These are gorgeous! I really love the pink sashing.

Jan says:

Very nice, Ashley. Each has it’s won charm. I partial to the straight patchwork, but both are charming.

tisha says:

Both look great. Good advice on cutting once, quilt twice. Makes it much easier when you actually have time to sew. Looking forward to how you quilt these and the backings.

Tanis says:

I don’t think I’ve ever met a gradient rainbow that I didn’t love! Your quilts are both fabulous, but I REALLY love today’s feature. So simple, but such high impact!

kristin says:

I loooooove the gradient rainbow square one so much! And the catnap rainbow is just the right tones. Want to make one for my rainbow-loving daughter’s bed.

Wow! I loved the first one, but I might even love the second one more! The color placement is so perfect, that it makes even the simple patchwork very charming. I can’t wait to see how you quilt these!

Sarah Helene Seufert says:

COLORFUL squares in so many different printed fabrics. . . effective in placement. I love the narrow pinks trimming each square like stained glass effect.
    To see that you used the same printed fabrics — amazing! You are creative in your quilting endeavors! BRAVO! Sarah Helene in Minneapolis, MN

Cheryl says:

I really like both quilts. It is great to see how the same fabrics can create two totally different quilts.

Karee says:

You certainly know how to put non-napping baby time to good use! Love them both and I like the asymmetrical clustered rainbow-esque charm quilt. Well done you non-napping mom!

Ashley, these are beautiful. I just love your eye for color.

Jiefner says:

I especially like the non-sashed charm patchwork. There’s just something so visually pleasing about the alternate colored rainbow/color wash layout.