a bold, fun echino boy quilt

This probably looks familiar (perhaps a lot like this first one I made a few months ago), but I can’t help posting another one because I’m truly smitten with these Etsuko Furuya Echino patchwork quilts (girl versions here and here). I keep collecting the prints, and I love to combine them with some great solids for a fun, bold quilt.

I’m particularly fond of using the red, mustard and black prints for a great little boy quilt. I don’t make too many boyish quilts since I don’t typically like the fabrics designed for boys, but this one I love, and I think you can count on seeing another similar one in the future!

I rarely use red – either prints or solids – but I did find a couple red solids in my stash and decided to add one to this quilt. And then I liked it so much that I decided to use that same red for the binding.

And strangely enough (for me and my non red-loving self) I really love it!

But as usual, as much as I love the front, I’ve fallen kind of hard for the back. Isn’t that so often the way?!

Now listed in the shop! Sold! Thank you Julie!

This entry was posted in [search] Charm Quilts, 2010 Finished Quilts, Finished Quilts, Posts about Quilts, Quilts and tagged , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

34 Responses to a bold, fun echino boy quilt

Sara says:

GORGEOUS! Love the color combination and especially the red binding.

Hazel says:

The little stripe of cars on the back is genius-I really love it! My 6 yr old son has always wanted me to make a quilt for him but I am always afraid he will grow out of it before it is finished. The prints you used for this quilt are fun but still sophisticated enough to last for years.

Susan says:

Non red-loving??? How can that be??? It’s absolutely beautiful!

Liz says:

Love it! That’s not my usual go-to color palate, but it really really works. Perfect boy quilt without beating you over the head with it. And I love that little half-strip of cars on the back, excellent!

whatupduck says:

Your color combinations are always so interesting and I get great inspiration from them all. I LOVE the back. I’m trying to think more out of the box when it comes to quilting and it sure makes a difference. Forget all rules and you get some really cool stuff!!

Michele says:

Love, love, love that color combo! You made me get my Pantone swatch book out! Your quilt is so cute!

britt says:

The colors all work so well together, and I love the back!! Polka dots are so fun.

Heather says:

OOOhhh man Ashley… you almost got me on this one!! i went to buy, but then saw the size :( i was soooo hoping it was a tad larger for my older boys… it’s REALLY great!! :)

Whitney says:

Love this combination – even though it’s not your standard, you totally made it work.

(Nice pics, too!)

Wendy says:

Love it! This would be a great couch throw too.
    I just ordered some of those cars!

Julie says:

I love the color combination and the jaunty line of cars on the back :) So clever!

Mary says:

What an awesome boy quilt! I just love simple patchwork, and I always love your straight line quilting too!

wendy says:

I love the back more than the front! The cars really stand out, don’t they?

I have loved both of the enchino quilts you have made in the past….but this takes the cake for me! I love the vibrant color contrast that is created with the red, orange/yellow and black bouncing off of each other. The cars on the back are great too!

Audrie says:

Love the colours together, and the back is stunning too!

Wendy says:

This is awesome! Great for a little boy, and I like that it is not just blue blue blue.

stella says:

love it ! great stuff fabrics….

Kristin says:

This is so great…I think I might have to track down some of those fabrics to make my little boy one!

Kama says:

Could you tell me where you got the Mustang fabric? My husband has one and it would rock to have that print in a quilt I will make for him in the future…

Heather says:

This is fabulous! I love your quilt :) I need to try quilting like you did, it looks great. The back is awesome too. Thanks for the inspiration 😀

Kate says:

Fabulous quilt. Love the back. Where do you find all these great photography spots?

Karen says:

Fantastic quilt!!! I LOVE it!! I only wish I had a little boy to buy it for!

Margarida says:

I wish I hada one of these :-))) It’s gorgeous!

Terri says:

I think sewing projects for boys can be tough, but you did a great job with this one. Perfect colors, and some of those fabrics look like they have the perfect boy motifs.

Randi says:

I just love your quilts. You always make the back just as interesting as the front. I’ve been afraid to try a pattern of any kind on the back in case it ends up “squint”! Any tips?

Debbie says:

I agree – the front is great, but the back, with that simple line of cars is awesome!

Sally says:

I just love this quilt. It is so amazing and cute and perfect. I would not of guessed something like this could of been done with her fabric.

31. Pingback: Big secret project | Carrickature

Patsy says:

Love it, love the fabric, love the colour combinations. Fantastic.

33. Pingback: heatherhalesdesigns.com » Blog Archive » Quilting for the Boys