a hug from a marshmallow (a Cotton + Steel Bespoke quilt)

doublegauze6

I say it a lot, but this one is definitely my new favorite quilt. I love a soft quilt, and with all this double gauze, this one is extremely soft! I’ve spent some time with it wrapped around me, so I can say for sure that it feels like you’re being hugged by a marshmallow (er, at least what I imagine being hugged by a marshmallow would feel like…)

doublegauze

I used Quilters Dream wool batting this time around, which was a first for me. I typically like a nice flat quilt, so usually opt for their Select or Request battings which are cotton. Long ago though, Rhea of Alewives had recommended the wool to me and I had been wanting to try it ever since. I thought it would be a perfect choice with the double gauze, so decided to give it a go.

doublegauze10

Despite my fear of overly puffy quilts, I was surprised how much I love the wool. It does give it a little extra puff, especially when combined with the two layers of double gauze (front and back), but it also makes for a super soft, lightweight, cozy quilt. Big fluffy piles of marshmallows (just look how happy Anna and Hazel look wrapped up in this one!).

doublegauze3

Another first for me – hand tying a quilt. I had to laugh because everything I read talked about hand tying being a quick and easy way to finish a quilt. Ha! Having never done so, I sat and stared at the quilt, wondering what to tie it with, what color to use, how close together they should be, etc and I think a few weeks went by with no progress at all! (When I did finally start it was rather quick though).

doublegauze8

Those of you who knit might cringe when I tell you that rather than going out to get yarn/embroidery floss/what have you, I dug through my Plucky Knitter yarn stash, and of course the only color I felt would work happened to be cashmere (making this quilt even more expensive!). I used a reddish pink for the corners of each block, and then a pale purple/pink for the centers of each block.

doublegauze7

I pieced the backing with lots more double gauze – a large piece of the red print, along with all the leftovers from the front

doublegauze4

including tiny hsts from the triangles I was left with from making the blocks on the front.

doublegauze9

I couldn’t convince Morgan to wrap this quilt around his body and stand outside in downtown Burlington for quilt photos, but luckily Anna was in town at the time and didn’t seem to have any qualms about wandering around on the docks draped in a quilt! Thanks, Anna!

doublegauze5

Previous post about this quilt

A quick tutorial on constructing these blocks

Double gauze fabrics are from the Cotton + Steel Bespoke line, available at many shops, including the following:

Fabric Junkie

Hawthorne Threads

Westwood Acres

Sew Modern

Jones & Vandermeer

Fabricworm

FabricBubb

Pink Castle Fabrics

Intrepid Thread
and locally at
Nido.

This entry was posted in [search] HST Quilts, [search] Liberated Quilts, Fabric, Finished Quilts, Posts about Quilts, Quilts and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

13 Responses to a hug from a marshmallow (a Cotton + Steel Bespoke quilt)

Liza Miller says:

I have only ever tied one quilt (a t-shirt quilt for my husband) and it seemed to take forever! Still faster than hand-quilting, though.

I love the look of yours. Maybe I’ll try it for my next quilt…one all for ME! A gauzy marshmallow sounds delightful!

Lizzy says:

Hi Ashley, Can you tell me where you found the bright white double gauge? I have found everything else to make this quilt, but can’t seem to locate the white! Thank you!!

Sarah Helene says:

BRAVO! Lovely designed quilt , so colorful with mostly triangles arranged in squares. Love the bright RED on the reverse side! You must be so proud of your result — heirloom to gift to your daughter. Sarah in Minneapolis

kristin says:

ohhhhh man i love it so much!!! i’d love to wrap myself in this quilt too. it’s perfection.

hey anna!! *waves*

Colleen says:

I love tied quilts and C&S so I may have to add another quilt to my endless list. My Grandma made me two tied charm square quilts. I have made two tied quilts(though I made more with fleece backing in the 1990s). An AB charm square quilt and a large square/star quilt with AMH pretty potent. I always lay them out and loosely pin baste to the floor and tie them that way. I also like to add some machine quilting to make it a little more secure. I use wool yarn usually or whatever I have. These are my fav cuddle quilts!

So beautiful! Your photos really capture the texture of the quilt–a perfect combination of materials and technique. I’m inspired to try a quilt with double gauze!

Alli says:

That looks like the most gorgeous cozy marshmallow ever! 🙂

Camilla says:

Beautiful! I had to look twice at whose post this was since I thought that looked like Anna! It’s a stunning quilt. I have a denim quilt in the works at the moment with random HST and triangle chunks like this, it’s not going to be a colourful as this though! So effective!

Katie says:

I say it all the time too, but this is hands down my favorite quilt of yours.

10. Pingback: FITF: double gauze plus – a quilt top | Film in the Fridge

Lizzie says:

I love this! And I bet the cashmere yarn washed into nice fuzz balls on the quilt. Cozy!

Kathleen Stept says:

Gorgeous! I love getting your blog in my email. I tried hand-tying and liked the result. But I wish I had used wool yarn because the embroidery floss had this Houdini-like ability to come untied in spite of my best square knots!