squares of Maze & Vale

maze+vale3

Apologies in advance for the back to back Maze & Vale posts, but man, I love Leslie’s prints! I collected her fabric panels and sample packs for quite a long time (years, maybe?) and while I often took them out and admired the lovely prints, I hadn’t used them in any quilts.

maze+vale

One day I took them all out and decided it was time to use them all in one epic Maze & Vale quilt! I really loved how they all looked together, so I added in a few matching solids and a background color (Cotton Couture Soft White) that matched quite well with the M&V basecloth.

maze+valeblocks2

I started making these blocks many months ago – very early this year, I think? – and as I type this now, I was trying to remember what the inspiration was, but I’m not sure I really had any when I started. I think my main thought was how well the Cotton Couture soft white matched with the background of many of the Maze & Vale prints, so I decided to just alternate the prints with the soft white. As I added rings, I realized it might be fun to add in little pieces of the solids where they matched the prints.

maze+vale4

I kept making blocks and sticking them up on the design wall. I still don’t think there was too much of a plan in my mind, but as the randomly sized blocks accumulated on the wall, I decided I really liked how they all looked together so I kept making blocks. At some point I realized that I was going to have a little trouble piecing in the background fabric while keeping the layout I had going, but I decided not to let that bother me.

maze+vale5

I think it was a good thing I was really excited about this project, because consequently the tedious job of piecing in all those little background pieces didn’t bother me – I was in such a hurry to see it all completed!

maze+vale6

Since the layout is random, and includes lots of differently sized blocks, there was a lot of measuring required, lots of inset seams, and a bunch of standing back, staring at the design wall and trying to figure out what to sew together next. Luckily I find that kind of sewing to be a fun challenge, and I felt pretty proud of myself when it was finally all sewn together!

maze+vale7

And, best of all, I absolutely love it! Leslie’s hand printed fabrics are so beautiful, and I’m so thrilled to have a quilt top that showcases so many of her fabulous designs. I have the perfect backing in mind, and now I need to figure out the right quilting. Ideas are welcome!

maze+vale7

You can purchase Maze & Vale panels here. Also, be sure to sign up for Leslie's newsletter to be alerted to new products and specials. If you're local, you can see the Maze & Vale panels in person at Nido.
This entry was posted in Posts about Quilts, Quilt Blocks and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

21 Responses to squares of Maze & Vale

Dominique says:

Lovely! This quilt has a very soft modern vibe. How will you quilt it?

Penny Gold says:

This quilt is so very lovely! I also have some pieces of Maze & Vale fabric that I can’t bear to cut up, some on tan base cloth, some on white. Seeing your quilt, maybe someday I’ll have the courage to use my pieces, though I will need to get some more first :-)

Carla says:

I find this one very calming. Soft like a cloud. Perhaps the quilting should be wispy?
    It’s perfect

Alli says:

Your quilt top looks amazing! It was totally worth all the effort you put into it! :)

Jen says:

This is just drop dead gorgeous. I love Maze & Vale too, it’s so inspiring to see what you’re doing with the fabrics.

This quilt top is just lovely! The little pops of solid color are a brilliant touch. I’m excited to see how you quilt this!

Sarah Helene says:

LOVE LOVE LOVE the Eclectic mix of prints, stripes, solids, polka dots large & small — MAZE & VALE fabrics! TRULY UNIQUE & ARTY, REVEALING YOUR SENSE OF CREATIVE DESIGN. I like the smaller & larger squares as well as the somewhat muted colors, except the bold black & reds here & there. Thanks for sharing. Sarah in Minneapolis

Terri Wangstrom says:

You inspired me to order many of the panels. I am now thinking about what to do with them. But, I might order another set to have just to look at and enjoy before I cut up the ones I have. Your quilt is absolutely fabulous!! Thanks for sharing.

• 11
      QuiltJulie says:

Terri – are you in Anchorage? We saw some beautiful quilts in the Quilt Zone which the sales associate said was done by someone with your name. Where can we see more of your creations?

Margaret says:

what a delightful quilt, so many lovely fabrics here

Cindy Pilkington says:

What a magnificent creation! The fabrics are really amazing too. I’ve not heard of this fabric source (newbie at quilting) and would love to have some too! Thanks for sharing your masterpiece using her fabrics!

Cathy says:

I love this quilt! I have a similar quilt top in dusty blues/blue greens and creams (with some burgundy and yellow highlights) I have no idea how to quilt it – and my longarm lady is stumped, too. Thought about just quilting some of the rounds of squares, and leaving others unquilted… maybe quilt each square with a design that radiates from the centre out to the edges? Maybe, quilt it top to bottom in a linear wide-wale-corduroy-like design (two lines 1/4″ apart, then about 1 1/2″, then another two lines 1/4″ apart… (mine could be quilted on the diagonal like this.) Would love to hear any ideas… it took a long time for me to make my quilt, would like to do something interesting but appropriate for the quilting. (Oh yes, mine is large queen sized.)

jody deschenes says:

SO pretty (fabric and quilt)! love the little mushrooms the best! just last week finally saw & touched some Cotton Coutoure – yowza, so soft, love!!!

Terri Godfrey says:

This is one of my favorites of all your quilts. Beautiful and very creative.

Terri

Afton says:

The solid insets are fantastic, as well as the random placement and differently-sized blocks. I would have difficulty cutting into those screen prints too; at $57 a yard they would be a major hoarding hazard. I have no suggestions for quilting. I look forward to seeing what you decide.

Ralitza says:

Beautiful top! Love the low volume look and the crispness of all these seams. Curious how it will look quilted.

18. Pingback: FITF: squared (a finished quilt, and a giveaway!) | Film in the Fridge

Cathy says:

When I first saw this quilt, I was inspired to make it – I emailed it to a friend and suggested she make one, too! I called it “the ghost quilt” because the fabrics were just ghostly images within the white… I have also decided on a variation on it that might be really exciting, so if I win some of these fabrics, watch out!