flying mustangs

flyingmustangs

I haven’t been able to get this quilt idea out of my head since seeing this vintage quilt on Pinterest. I started one with Liberty and solids a while back, but I wasn’t feeling the exact translation of the design, and it’s been sitting on the design wall ever since. When I was thinking about a design using my new Cotton + Steel fabrics, I returned to this design, thinking that it might be a good one to show off those fun mustang fabrics.

flyingmustangs2

This time though I decided to adjust the design a bit – I decided to feature four of the Cotton + Steel prints (the mustang from Melody’s Mustang line, butterflies from Rashida’s Moonlit, and the turquoise and gold print from the Basics collection) and then I used a number of coordinating prints (many shown here, along with a generous addition of C+S basics thanks to Melody). I cut all the triangles for the flying geese by hand so they’d be a bit wonky, and added in some solids in places so it wasn’t so predictable.

flyingmustangs4

One would think that with my stash of solids I’d be able to find coordinating solids for this quilt, but no. Nothing was quite right, except for these double gauze solids (blue gray, indigo, light gray and light mustard). I didn’t have enough of any one of them, so I decided to use them all. I love double gauze fabrics in a quilt, but didn’t quite think through how many tiny pieces would be involved here, and consequently how much shifting and trickiness I’d encounter (I definitely put my new Flatter to use on this quilt top!). I think (er, hope!) it will be worth it in the end, but next time I’d probably stick with quilting cottons in this type of design.

flyingmustangs3

I laid this one out on the floor to take photos this morning, and as expected, Hazel just couldn’t resist — back and forth across the quilt. A brief stop in the center, then back again. Cute, for sure, but it does make for a challenge in photographing quilts!

flyingmustangs5

This entry was posted in Fabric, Posts about Quilts and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

32 Responses to flying mustangs

Julierose says:

Oh this is a beautiful use of fabric, I think. I love how the flying geese outline the squares….just lovely work. Hugs, Julierose

Caitlin T. says:

I love the color palette so much! And it’s so fun to see your interpretation of the vintage design.

Tanis says:

Those colours are fantastic! I love everything I see done in C&S fabrics, but this has just jumped to the top of the list. Definitely worth the extra work.

Fonda says:

Luv it. I can hardly wait for this fabric to be available. That mustard with the mustangs is drawing me in.

Paige says:

This is fantastic. I love seeing the Cotton + Steel out “in the wild”!

Beth says:

I love the background color layout. So interesting!

I like it! It’s such a fun interpretation of the original quilt you shared. I especially like the different color-blocked background sections. Plus the photos with Hazel are so cute!

Linda says:

I would say this quilt was baby-tested, mother-approved!!

xo Linda

terri henderson says:

very very nice.

this ones a winner for sure. I love your interpretation of the vintage quilt with these fabrics

Jen Schultz says:

Seriously, your blog is like a happy drug. I love everything you post. Drool. I want to be that good when I grow up. (I’m probably older than you though, haha)

Turned out beautifully Ashley, but then again, I had no doubt it would!

emily says:

amazing! i really love how it turned out!!!

Tamie says:

I really like this one. Just a bit of unpredictability and wonkiness.

Ella says:

That quilt is a stunner!

Becky says:

Ooohh…I really like this quilt top. You always come up with something cool. And there’s my smile for the day in that last photo with Hazel’s little toes curled under.

kitty says:

Great top!! Love you fabric choice and palette! Brilliant idea to divide the quilt top in color sections!! For me that adds a lot of interest to the allover block pattern.

Kari says:

I love everything about this quilt. The colors and design are amazing. One of my favorites!

I can’t wait to get my paws on some of that lovely Cotton & Steel fabric. And this design is inspired! I’ve pinned it for future inspiration!

Kelly Cline says:

Beautiful! My granddaughter is about her age and also loves fabrics and quilts. Let’s hope they grow up loving both!!

Love the color choices you made in this quilt! And those mustangs are great!

Sandra Woods says:

This is beautiful. It was a stroke of genius putting the horses on point….Smashing.

oh my goodness! I am completely smitten with this quilt!!!! Everything about it is so great!

Shirley Elliott says:

That is an awesome quilt! Please show it once it is quilted.

27. Pingback: FITF: all signs point… | Film in the Fridge

Elizabeth B says:

I was trying to just email you, but couldn’t find the address on the blog. Hope this works as well….

I am putting together a presentation for the Charlotte modern quilt guild on making traditional blocks modern. Your flying mustangs quilt represents a concept I’d like to discuss. Do you mind if I share the picture posted with the group in a presentation? It will only be the picture of the quilt top, none with the baby.

The picture may also end up on the guild blog, we will make sure to link back to you. Please email me with your permission to use the image.

Elizabeth B
    Vice-president, CLTMQG

Beth says:

I think this is my favorite c+s quilt yet! gorgeous!!

Phyliss Jaffe says:

What weight thread did you use for the quilting.

jody deschenes says:

this is your best yet, for me! but i have always been a horse lover. and a weird yellow/mustard lover. anyway, perfect!