all signs point…

allsigns3

It was inevitable. With extra Cotton + Steel prints sitting on my sewing table, I could only resist so long before cutting them up for a second quilt. This time I paired many of Alexia’s Hatbox prints along with many of the C+S basics and a print or two from Melody’s Mustang and Rashida’s Moonlit lines (I love how all these collections mix and match!)

allsigns4

I decided to go for something a little faster this time (faster than my previous Cotton+Steel quilt, that is) – I love triangles (though I don’t really love sewing them together!), and thought it would be fun to play around with something other than an equilateral triangle. I wanted a pointier triangle, so drew up this isosceles triangle.

allsigns2

My inspiration for this one was from products from Ferm Living. I’d seen many of their fun products that feature triangles, and in my mind, I remembered them as being pointy triangles with a lot of white space that allowed the colors to really shine. I made this quilt without looking back at their products – thinking it was better to go with what I remembered I liked of their design rather than being influenced by having just seen their products. When I looked back at them just now to link, I like that my memory of their design wasn’t quite exact – I think it gives the feel of their design without being a replica.

allsigns5

I’m really pleased with how this one came out (for a while I was worried that my hand drawn triangles would come together in a crazy mess that would never line up correctly!) I love these colors together, especially since navy isn’t a color I typically use in quilts.

allsigns

I’ve really had fun playing around with these great new prints – July will certainly be a fun fabric month! Tiger cats? Who can resist?!

This entry was posted in Fabric, Posts about Quilts, Quilts and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

25 Responses to all signs point…

This is so gorgeous, Ashley! I’m a huge van of Ferm Living too. Such a pity that it’s so expensive. Good thing that we can sew our own versions ;-)

beth lehman says:

what a great quilt!! i really do think it shows off the variety of prints in these collections. i love the shape/scale of these triangles, too. curious… do you think this type of triangle is easier than an equilateral? and you just make your own template?

I love the pair of diamonds in it!

Jen says:

Such a great quilt! I love the colors with the little bit of navy.

Debbie says:

Beautiful! I really like the triangle shape and these fabrics do play so nice together!

Carla says:

Another stunning finish! I ave a fat quarter bundle on order and can’t wait to get started : )

When you pieced this, did you choose the colors in the rows randomly, letting them land where they would? Or did you layout the top before you started piecing rows? Also, what as different about piecing a ‘pointier’ triangle than a true 60 deg isosceles triangle?

I’d love to hear more about the design process of this quilt.

Becky says:

Wow! I really like this one–the design, the colors and fabric choices. Particularly striking.

Yes, I’d like to hear more about your process with this one too. (In all your free time, I’m sure!)

kristin says:

i LOVE this quilt. do you ever fantasize about your “if i were a single gal and had an apartment in the city” decorating style? i sometimes do. and this would be my perfect bed quilt. BUT since i’m a happily married gal with a few kids, this would be my perfect “snuggle up on the couch and watch a movie” quilt. haha. gotta get me some of that C+S!!

Sara Hill says:

Ashley–I’ve got to say that in my opinion your quilt, though maybe influenced by Ferm Living, has so much more personality than those designs. But that’s just my opinion. I do love the white with the color too. I think you have such a good eye and am always checking to see what you’re up to. How you do it with kids is beyond me!

Valerie says:

Another masterpiece!….inspiration on the hunt and hitting the target.

Love the shape of your triangles. It’s fun that it’s a bit different from the norm!

I really liked the above mentioned inevitable stuff a lot. I think Steel prints sitting on the sewing table is very stylish and the various colors added in the same is very significant and desirable as well.

Karee says:

I love the pointer triangles’ look and the fact that you will always know which side is straight of grain! That would be huge for me.. Thank you for sharing this diamond!

Great quilt! I noticed right away that the triangles seemed pointy than those I’ve used in my triangle quilts. Did you starch your fabrics to keep those narrower points in line?

Michelle says:

I love this SO MUCH! The isosceles triangles are fabulous. I love how some match up to form diamonds. I can’t get enough of those tigers either!!! Please feel free to send this to me. ; )

Ashton Bynum says:

This is beautiful! I love the small groupings of fabrics rather than it being completely random placing. Great job!

I lurrv this quilt..very appealing!

This is fantastic! I can see what you mean about the white space being so effective here. Thanks for pointing that out!

Helen Yu says:

I have watched you for years and think your quilts are the most amazing, original, gorgeous work in blog world. Just wanted to say……

I love it. Fantastic – I like it where the diamonds sneak it the design.