2014 Umbrella Prints Trimmings Competition

I was really excited to participate in the Umbrella Prints Trimmings Competition this year. I love their fabrics, and have bought many a trimmings pack over the past several years. This year they added a quilt category, so of course I couldn’t resist making something to enter! I showed you a photo of the packet I received, along with the solids I thought I’d pair with them.

I thought about a design for a while – my goal was to keep those trimmings pieces as large as possible and as usual, I wanted to create as large a quilt as possible, all while still keeping those trimmings pieces as the focus.

This design was the perfect answer! You may recall my original quilt in this design made for Valentine’s Day a year or two back (inspired by wainscoting seen on an old episode of the Real World… sad, yes, but I suppose you never know where you’ll find your inspiration!). I always wanted to make another, and think it was a perfect answer for my trimmings.

I used the trimmings as the center of several of my blocks, paired with a coordinating solid. Rather than trimming any of the pieces, I kept them exactly as I received them, so this design really does use almost the entire trimmings packet (I only trimmed just a bit off of each of the two pieces used in the binding!). I kept these blocks grouped together – off centered a bit – and then surrounded them by blocks made up of all solids.

The quilting is a fun concentric circle design, centered over the Umbrella Prints section (hopefully to draw your eye to those great prints!), then filled in around the edges with partial concentric circles.

I didn’t have enough of any one solid for the backing, so again decided to just use up what I had, piecing together all those larger pieces I had left over. I added in the one purple block that I didn’t feel fit in on the front, and then pieced the remaining two brown/black prints into the binding.

This quilt measures about 55″ square.

The competition ends on the 30th, and then you’ll have a chance to repin your favorites from June 1 – 5th (Australian time).

This entry was posted in [search] Square-in-Square Quilts, Finished Quilts, Posts about Quilts, Quilts and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

23 Responses to 2014 Umbrella Prints Trimmings Competition

Stephanie says:

This is gorgeous- very nice effect of the solids, color choices, white sashing and the focus on the trimmings. I haven’t yet made a quilt with a pieced backing and I am inspired to use the placement of pieces on the back of your quilt here as a guide.

Alice R. says:

Fantastic! Such a clever idea to use these fabrics!

Marika says:

I also bought a trimmings pack and m just about to start my project. I feel very much less confident now that I’ve seen your quilt. It is absolutely gorgeous !! Good job :)

Carla says:

OOOh it’s fantastic. Very creative and I love how punchy the colours are. Lovely

Amanda says:

This is fantastic!!! I love everything about it, great job!

Erin M. says:

I think you did a great job. I love the quilt. Thanks for sharing.

Linda says:

Beautiful, simply beautiful! I hope you win.

xo Linda

Angie says:

All your quilts are awesome, but this one is definitely “over the top”. Beautiful colors!

Míša says:

Wow! It is really amazing! I like it a lot

Vicky says:

Gorgeous quilt! Good luck with the competition.

Phiona says:

Way to use all those pieces!

Lovely. The wonky feel of the quilt and the white sashing borders draw focus to the trimmings. love the solid colour choices. A winner all round

jody deschenes says:

this is truly perfect and wonderful and i’ll say right now i think you should win (even tho i’m entering!) this is TRULY the PERFECT way to showcase those scraps, period. great job!

Lisa says:

That’s lovely- the colors are so fresh and fun.

Carole says:

You always make such great quilts, so inspirational

Colleen says:

Awesome! I love both this and your Valentine’s Day version. I usually can’t handle wonky quilts, but I feel like this pattern is great–just slightly wonky to make it interesting, but not getting into the “all kinds of crazy” territory! Any chance for a bigger tutorial? Your info on the Valentine’s quilt was very helpful, but I always prefer when other people do the math for me. :)

Julie Beard says:

Hello there,

This is my first time that I have visited your blog and I was delighted to see your lovely quilt. It’s fresh and warm and I hope you do wonderfully well in the competition. All the best Julie. Adelaide SA. julie714@adam.com.au

This is my first time that i have visited your blog and. I was delighted to see a lovely quilt.Its lovely and beautiful and the colors are so fresh and fun its just awesome and i just love this quilt.

Béatrice says:

I love your quilt so much, I ordered & received today the same trimings :).
    Can you say me please, what solid colour’s name you used for your quilt ? I order my fabrics online in US and can’t choose matched fabrics from computer. That will help me.Thank you so much.

Pia Merete Hansen says:

Lovely quilt… What is the name of the solids you have used? Is it Kona or?

23. Pingback: FITF: Umbrella Prints Trimmings Challenge 2015 | Film in the Fridge