2014 Umbrella Prints Trimmings Competition

fruitsalad3

I was really excited to participate in the Umbrella Prints Trimmings Competition this year. I love their fabrics, and have bought many a trimmings pack over the past several years. This year they added a quilt category, so of course I couldn’t resist making something to enter! I showed you a photo of the packet I received, along with the solids I thought I’d pair with them.

fruitsalad4

I thought about a design for a while – my goal was to keep those trimmings pieces as large as possible and as usual, I wanted to create as large a quilt as possible, all while still keeping those trimmings pieces as the focus.

fruit-salad

This design was the perfect answer! You may recall my original quilt in this design made for Valentine’s Day a year or two back (inspired by wainscoting seen on an old episode of the Real World… sad, yes, but I suppose you never know where you’ll find your inspiration!). I always wanted to make another, and think it was a perfect answer for my trimmings.

fruitsalad6

I used the trimmings as the center of several of my blocks, paired with a coordinating solid. Rather than trimming any of the pieces, I kept them exactly as I received them, so this design really does use almost the entire trimmings packet (I only trimmed just a bit off of each of the two pieces used in the binding!). I kept these blocks grouped together – off centered a bit – and then surrounded them by blocks made up of all solids.

fruitsalad7

The quilting is a fun concentric circle design, centered over the Umbrella Prints section (hopefully to draw your eye to those great prints!), then filled in around the edges with partial concentric circles.

fruitsaladback

I didn’t have enough of any one solid for the backing, so again decided to just use up what I had, piecing together all those larger pieces I had left over. I added in the one purple block that I didn’t feel fit in on the front, and then pieced the remaining two brown/black prints into the binding.

This quilt measures about 55″ square.

fruitsalad8

The competition ends on the 30th, and then you’ll have a chance to repin your favorites from June 1 – 5th (Australian time).

This entry was posted in Finished Quilts, Posts about Quilts, Quilts, [search] Square-in-Square Quilts and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

22 Responses to 2014 Umbrella Prints Trimmings Competition

Stephanie says:

Ashley,
    This is gorgeous- very nice effect of the solids, color choices, white sashing and the focus on the trimmings. I haven’t yet made a quilt with a pieced backing and I am inspired to use the placement of pieces on the back of your quilt here as a guide.

Alice R. says:

Fantastic! Such a clever idea to use these fabrics!

Marika says:

I also bought a trimmings pack and m just about to start my project. I feel very much less confident now that I’ve seen your quilt. It is absolutely gorgeous !! Good job :)

Carla says:

OOOh it’s fantastic. Very creative and I love how punchy the colours are. Lovely

Amanda says:

This is fantastic!!! I love everything about it, great job!

Erin M. says:

I think you did a great job. I love the quilt. Thanks for sharing.

Linda says:

Beautiful, simply beautiful! I hope you win.

xo Linda

Angie says:

All your quilts are awesome, but this one is definitely “over the top”. Beautiful colors!

Míša says:

Wow! It is really amazing! I like it a lot

Vicky says:

Gorgeous quilt! Good luck with the competition.

Phiona says:

Way to use all those pieces!

Lovely. The wonky feel of the quilt and the white sashing borders draw focus to the trimmings. love the solid colour choices. A winner all round

jody deschenes says:

this is truly perfect and wonderful and i’ll say right now i think you should win (even tho i’m entering!) this is TRULY the PERFECT way to showcase those scraps, period. great job!

Lisa says:

That’s lovely- the colors are so fresh and fun.

Carole says:

You always make such great quilts, so inspirational

Colleen says:

Awesome! I love both this and your Valentine’s Day version. I usually can’t handle wonky quilts, but I feel like this pattern is great–just slightly wonky to make it interesting, but not getting into the “all kinds of crazy” territory! Any chance for a bigger tutorial? Your info on the Valentine’s quilt was very helpful, but I always prefer when other people do the math for me. :)

Julie Beard says:

Hello there,

This is my first time that I have visited your blog and I was delighted to see your lovely quilt. It’s fresh and warm and I hope you do wonderfully well in the competition. All the best Julie. Adelaide SA. julie714@adam.com.au

This is my first time that i have visited your blog and. I was delighted to see a lovely quilt.Its lovely and beautiful and the colors are so fresh and fun its just awesome and i just love this quilt.

Béatrice says:

I love your quilt so much, I ordered & received today the same trimings :).
    Can you say me please, what solid colour’s name you used for your quilt ? I order my fabrics online in US and can’t choose matched fabrics from computer. That will help me.Thank you so much.

Pia Merete Hansen says:

Lovely quilt… What is the name of the solids you have used? Is it Kona or?