Umbrella Prints Trimmings Challenge 2015

umbrellaprintschallenge

I always love this time of year when Umbrella Prints announces their annual Trimmings Challenge. I had the opportunity to be a judge one year, and last year I submitted this quilt. I thought I might just watch from the sidelines this year, but purchased two trimmings packs just in case.

I haven’t felt super inspired lately, but after opening my trimmings packs and finding this one filled with soft peaches, pinks, light blues and beiges, I thought I might see if I could put something together.

uptrimmings2

As soon as I saw the one larger square on the cream background with the little blowing seeds (ha! I’m sure it has a much more appropriate name than that!), I thought I could use it as the center focal point with the other trimmings pieces surrounding it. As it turned out, my packet had several pieces of a few prints, so I was able to use those pieces to radiate out from the four sides of the center square, keeping it nearly symmetrical (substituting in a couple other similarly-colored pieces where needed!). The tiny extra pieces were put to use in each of the four corners along with some coordinating solids in partial log cabin blocks.

uptrimmings

I felt it really needed some circular quilting to draw focus to the center square, so I did a somewhat tight spiral from the center. I started out with white thread for the center, then switched to blue for the rings over the blue Umbrella Prints fabrics, then orangey-peach, and then a pale pink and then back to white. It’s kind of subtle, but I love the extra little touch it adds.

It was so fun to make up this quilt and to be inspired by these little trimmings. I always love when the fabric itself inspires a quilt, so I really appreciate this challenge. Be sure to follow the Umbrella Prints pinterest board to see all the submissions. (There’s even an audience prize this year, given to someone who comments and repins!)

This entry was posted in [search] Other Quilts, Fabric, Finished Quilts, Posts about Quilts, Quilts and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

14 Responses to Umbrella Prints Trimmings Challenge 2015

Linda W. says:

Love ANY Umbrella prints! And love your thread choices for quilting–perfect.

Anne Chevalier says:

Love love love how you can make such a stunning quilt from trimmings! Umbrella print is inspirational!

Alli says:

That’s a wonderful quilt! đŸ™‚

I love your quilt Ashley, and the quilting really completes it beautifully. Very clever idea to use different thread colours too.

Margret says:

I’m still so in love with that circular quilting you do.

kitty says:

This is a very, very beautiful quilt! The design, the palette, the quilting(variety of thread colors!), all come together to make for a wonderful quilt!

That’s beautiful Ashley but how on earth did you quilt it like that?! Did you keep turning the quilt round & round with the edges rolled up or FMQ it? (Trust me to look at a quilt and start thinking about the technicalities!)

Leah says:

This is so beautiful! you can definitely feel the movement! Will there be a pattern for this?

Pat S says:

This is wonderful. I always get excited when your blog pops up in my feed because I know I’m going to see something fun and inspiring. Today is no exception. Great job on the quilting, too. I’ve done a couple of spirals and always swear off after each one … but oh, it just makes some quilts.

Susan says:

Adore this quilt. It is very pretty and minimal and yet says so much. I love the spiral quilting and the changes in colors. WTG.

Ruth says:

Really like the circular quilting with the squares, great idea to frame the centre square.

12. Pingback: FITF: painted paddles | Film in the Fridge

13. Pingback: Holy Cow, We Won?! | Entropy Always Wins

Tanya Seabrooke says:

Love the quilting and just wondering is it continous circles, except where the thread color changes? Alot of work having to bury all the threads? Thanks