red and pink love

valentines6

I got this one finished – with a few days to spare, even!

valentines2

Deciding how to quilt it was a bit of a challenge. I stared at the top for a long time, debating on various ideas. I thought I had it settled with a bit of a meandering design, including a few meandered hearts. In the back of my mind though, I kept thinking about straight lines. I ignored that little voice, going forward with the meandering thinking it would be faster (I really wanted this one to be finished and photographed by Valentine’s Day!). As it turns out, that wasn’t a good idea. I got a corner of the quilt quilted and realized the rounded quilting really didn’t complement this design. So then I spent a couple hours of picking out the quilting – I know that any of you who have had to spend time removing quilting stitches can sympathize!

valentines5

So then I spent some more time staring at the top. Ultimately I did go with the straight lines, but switched it up a bit by having the lines run a few different directions. And then I varied the spacing of the quilting lines in the various sections. I’m glad I changed my mind, because I do think this quilting suits this quilt better.

valentines3

Remember my dilemma on backing fabric? Well, I owe a huge thank you (THANK YOU!!) to Holli, who was among the first to comment on that post and was so generous to offer to go to her local Ikea that same day to buy that black and white fabric for me. I so appreciate her generosity and her willingness to go out of her way to make my backing dreams come true! Thanks Holli! (and thank you also to a few other generous blog readers who also offered – you all are so awesome!).

valentines4

I really love it as the backing for this quilt! Since it wasn’t quite wide enough I pieced together a strip using scraps from the front, and even dug through my sewing trash for a couple of those half blocks to incorporate.

valentines7

For the binding I went with a dark charcoal. It’s perfect with the backing and provides a nice dark frame for the front. And I’m happy to be snuggling under this quilt this week, though I have a feeling this one will spend more than just February out on the couch!

valentines

Happy Valentine’s Day (a day early!)

P.S. I had it in mind that pink and red balloons would make for a great addition to my quilt photo shoot. What I failed to take into account was trying to wrestle said balloons while outside after a snowstorm without extra help! So what’s not pictured here is Max stuck in knee deep snow (and not happy about it!), me chasing down errant balloons, and Morgan trying to toss balloons in the air while wrestling with the quilt (and trying to keep it level, of course!). Ah, the things you sometimes do for a quilt photo!

Previous posts about this quilt may be found here and here.

This entry was posted in Fabric, Posts about Quilts and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

46 Responses to red and pink love

Alison says:

Fabulous. I often get odd stares from passers by when I am trying to photograph my quilts in public. I can’t imagine adding balloons into the mix too!

Pat says:

Wonderful! So glad you got your backing. It is perfect. Next time at Ikea I’m going to be looking because I didn’t see it last time I was there. In fact, the only fabrics I saw were home decor weight and then some yardage in the kids section along with the kid duvets. I’m in the enviable position of being pretty close to TWO Ikeas so next time I’m going to go to the other one. :D But I digress … I love your quilt … it makes me happy just to look at it.

pam says:

Perfect! Now all you need are some Lake Champlain Chocolates…I miss Burlington.

karen says:

It’s a really sweet quilt! Happy Valentine’s Day to you and your family!!

Judith says:

This is wonderful quilt in every way, colour, form and quilting and well done for having gotten it done before V day.

Holli says:

Its just beautiful! So glad to see it all done up and well in time for a Happy Valentine’s Day!

Ana says:

Love the front but even though I am an Ikea devotee, the back just isn’t doing it for me.

Paty Z says:

Beautiful!!! Congratulations.

Jenny says:

Love this quilt (as ussual), and the photos are fantastic.

Marla says:

So pretty with the stark backdrop.

Linda says:

Wow! I’ve gone from “meh” at the first pic, to “marvelous” and “magnificent ” now! The backing is just right, and the binding pulls it all together. I can just see the three of you snuggled up under it on the couch (with those great pillows, of course). Happy Valentines Day to you all!

xo Linda

Elise says:

This quilt turned out lovely! I have recently been seeing more ikea fabrics in quilts and I have to say i love it, especially with the colors you used!

Carla says:

You do such amazing work! I love coming to your blog and seeing what’s new. I bet Max liked the balloons after. Great photo shoot by the way. We appreciate all your effort ; )

Rebecca says:

This is my favorite quilt of yours yet!

Ann says:

I am in awe of how much you accomplish! So inspiring!

Dree says:

I absolutely love this quilt. The simpleness of it, the slight wonkiness, and the COLOR. Awesome.

Sandra says:

That is THE perfect back for that quilt. Lovely. The quilting complements the blocks so well. With lots of time to spare!! Nice photo shoot. Tip for balloons outside. Tie them to a piece of lumber (as long as you don’t have so many balloons that it takes the 2×4 with them…) extra long string. :)
    Cute quilt, another one to put on the list.

Hazle says:

I’m guilty of not commenting often to your posts, but I had to for this quilt. I’m not a fan of pink (red, j’adore!) but in truth, this is the first quilt I’ve seen that could change my mind! ♥ Chapeau!
    Hazle

Anna Haller says:

This is beautiful!!! I really love the way you quilted this one!

What a gorgeous quilt. And the photos are phenomenal! As soon as I saw the first one, I knew I had to leave a comment. I loved your little “behind-the-scenes” note at the end. It is so wonderful to have family who are supportive of our hobbies! It was worth the effort. The quilt– and the photos– are gorgeous.

laura hall says:

delightful! nice treat! better than chocolate!

What a beautiful quilt! The pictures are amazing and the balloons add something special…well worth the effort to wrestle them into the pictures :o)

Kirsty says:

This is such a beautiful quilt, both front and back!! The quilting looks amazing!!

Maggie says:

It looks great! And you were spot on with the backing fabric, perfect!!

monique says:

Beautiful! Thank you to you and your wonderful family for putting in so much effort. The eye candy is just what I needed after a hard day:)

Carly says:

Incredible! I love it! Wouldn’t make me sad if this ended up in your shop. ;) it’s amazing!

Tamie says:

A perfect Valentine quilt. Very cool.

kitty says:

LOVE your Red and Pink!! Great quilt, perfect backing!!

Laura says:

Beautiful quilt! And the photos are lovely!

Connie says:

Beautiful quilt! Great colors!

Kaaren Babb says:

I’m SO happy to see this finished, and the quilting really makes it. Don’t you just want to beat yourself up when you start quilting one way, and then have to “unsew?

I have done two quilts with these kinds of line, and I love how they turn out. Would you share how you marked them? For one, I did a blue washout pen and then the little adjustable bar that can go through the presser foot. For the other, I used masking tape.

Would love to hear how you did it. PS: you inspire me every time I receive a post.

Kaaren in CA, who lives way out in the middle of nowhere and has not one person to talk to about modern quilts!

So Gorgeous, I love it. Now I am an IKEA fan, but my experience with the fabric its not soft and strong, more like upholstery fabric.. Prove me wrong. I love the back. I will go to Ikea right now and get some. I love TEXT fabric. I love the way you kept going and what a delightful photo. Please put it on My Mondays linky party, I want everyone to see this..

Franziska says:

wonderful! Although I’m not really into pink and similar I like this one a lot.

Jane says:

It has been great to follow your progress on this gorgeous quilt! The back is lovely too! I agree with other posts – the photos of this one are stunning.

tusen says:

I’d never thought I would like the combination of pink and red, but your quilt looks just perfect in it. I love the quilting too, especially the fact that you’ve varied the spacing between the lines.
    And the struggles with the balloons were definitely worth it, the photos look great.

I think this on is my favorite so far! It’s so original and the quilting is a perfect complement!

Sarah says:

I love the quilt! And it’s so not my usual style. I love the colours and your quilting is perfect. Great photos! The snowy trudge was worth it.

Ellen says:

Beautiful quilt! Would you be able to write a post with your best tips on how to layer and baste to obtain such straight and non-puckered, non-pulling quilting lines? I sometime have trouble with puckers, but more often it does not pucker, but ends up pulling the fabric as it sews and it does not look as nice. Thanks! I admire your quilting!

Suzanne says:

I really appreciate the thought you put into your quilting. The straight lines enhance the design perfectly.
    As for the balloons, they sure pack a punch with the quilt and contrast the background beautifully.

43. Pingback: FITF: Sponsor sales and news | Film in the Fridge

44. Pingback: FITF: 2014 Umbrella Prints Trimmings Competition | Film in the Fridge