scattered hearts

scatteredhearts3

Happy early Valentine’s Day! Strangely enough, I’m not really a ‘quilt for certain holidays’ kind of girl, but this is now the third year that I’ve made a Valentine’s Day quilt (also here and here), so who knows.

scatteredhearts

The last two were very red and pink, so this time I went for all the colors, even a bit of neon! I wasn’t going to make this V Day thing a habit, but once Allison posted her tutorial for her heart quilt, I just couldn’t resist. And then after I thought about it a bit, I just couldn’t resist the though of hearts made out of hearts, so Umbrella Prints it was (I love this heart print!).

scatteredprintedhearts
(bleak, right? that’s the frozen lake in the background. I can’t wait for summer days!)

I’ve collected their beautiful fabrics over many years, and have bought my fair share of their large remnant packs, and it was really fun to pull them all out and use them all together in this quilt.

scatteredhearts2

I made up two sizes of hearts (the smaller ones are the size in her tutorial – oh ha! just went to link and see that she now has provided measurements for multiple sizes! The smaller blocks here are 4 1/2″ squares and the larger are 6 1/2″ squares), and then scattered them throughout the quilt top. I used a Cloud 9 Cirrus solid (ash, I believe) for the background. I sewed most of these blocks last weekend while sewing with a friend and managed to cut and sew all the borders incorrectly. It was comical, really. You can see in this photo how many extra (unnecessary!) seams there are. (I shouldn’t have pointed that out, right?!)

Allison’s tutorial though? Perfect! Just the quick, fun and satisfying sew I needed!

This entry was posted in Fabric, Posts about Quilts, Quilts and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

17 Responses to scattered hearts

DreiPunkteWerk says:

You are sooo great!
    Liebe Grüße,
    Kathrin

Cyndi says:

I like the mixture of different sizes and also some empty space.

See?! I LOVE how you took her tutorial and made it totally your own – upside down and lots of gray – really cool. And those extra seams? They were just adding visual interest 🙂 Fun to craft with you hope to do it again soon!!

Kathleen says:

luv the quilt, backdrop is great too.

Tanis says:

This is the sweetest quilt I’ve ever seen!

Emily says:

Love the quilt!
    I would never have noticed the extra seams, but I understand how that happens – I always make mistakes when I sew with other people. I just cannot cut/sew and talk at the same time.

This is ridiculously good. It amy be my favorite FITF quilt ever. The hearts, the NEON!, the spacing… Every single bit is perfection. Even the extra seams are fine. No one will know once it’s quilted.

susan says:

I love the extra seams! It makes the quilt more interesting- even if it was ay more work…
    Susan

How very pretty! The colors are really fun.

Super cute quilt. Maybe you’re just a “quilt for certain holidays” kind of person, and Valentine’s Day happens to be that holiday for you!

Alli says:

That’s so awesome! I love it! 🙂

AshleyM says:

What a fun quilt!! I absolutely love it!

Kaesey says:

Oh, I love this! The Umbrella heart prints are perfect. =)

Sarah says:

I love that you used different colors from traditional Valentine’s Day/heart quilts!

Gisele says:

Saw this on Umbrella Prints Instagram and I just had to pop over to tell you that I am in LOVE!!! It is perfectly beaitiful! Sigh. I’ve been wanted to try a quilt for quite some time…this one might the one to get me going. So…question: what kind of batting do you use to give it weight but stay nice and thin like this one?

Vicky says:

It’s lovely! I really like the background colour in contrast to the hearts. Thank you for the link to the tutorial as well.

17. Pingback: FITF: scattered hearts | Film in the Fridge