a sprinkling of far far away half hexagons

Can you guess what our weather was like over the holiday weekend?! Let me just say that it left plenty of time for sewing and quilting. Morgan and I even took Monday off from work to make it an extra long weekend, and still more rain. We did manage to sneak in a bit of beach time, a little lunch on the lake and a spectacular fireworks display though. And due to all the rain, I have another completed quilt for you!

ffa-hexes1

I hope you’re not disappointed in this one. I think my sneak peek may have led everyone to believe that it would be an entire half hexagon quilt, when in reality, there’s just a sprinkling of hexagons. I think an entire hexagon quilt out of the far far away fabrics would be wonderful (and I still might make one!)… I just thought that I’d try it out first before committing to cutting so many half hexagons!

I actually like this one quite a bit. I like the way the hexagons stand out and I think it’s a great way to showcase a favorite fabric, without having to use too much of it!

ffa-hexes2

I had bought a couple yards of the pink frog prince fabric when it first came out. I think I had it in mind to make a dress or a shirt out of it, but I never got around to it, and so I gave it up to use as the backing of this quilt. I love having a big piece of the far far away fabric on the back of a quilt because it’s so soft! Of course, if I had been thinking, I would have made sure to keep the top small enough so I wouldn’t have to piece the back…

ffahexesback

I stippled this one (on the new machine!) using a nice variegated thread. It worked well to tie in all the different colors on this quilt. And once again I used the lime green solid from Joelle Hoverson’s Net of Jewels. It matches the greens in the Far Far Away perfectly, and it has a similar soft feel. This quilt measures about 40″ x 50″.

ffa-quilting

I’m continually told that I have too many quilts, and while I disagree that you can actually have too many, I guess I have to agree with Morgan that we’re running out of room. I’ve started separating them into piles of “must keep” or “might possibly be able to part with”. I think this one might go to the second pile, since I already have two quilts made of the far far away fabric… It should also be noted that I did just sell two quilts from that pile… that’s progress people! (thanks to Sarah and Ginger!)

And this one’s now for sale here! Sold! Thanks Lana!!

This entry was posted in 2009 Finished Quilts, Finished Quilts, Household Sewing - bags, napkins, pillows, Posts about Quilts, Quilts, [search] Wonky/Improv Quilts and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

72 Responses to a sprinkling of far far away half hexagons

I freaking LOVE it! Can I ask what size your hexes are? Did you applique them on? I’m totally not familiar with the half hexagon way, I only know english paper piecing but I’m totally jazzed about this :):) Rad quilt!!!

Ann-Marie says:

this is fabulous! love the berry color!

jennifer says:

The sprinkling of hexes was a great idea! Have to keep this in mind when I get brave enough to try them.

Now, I call that tradition with a twist! I love, love, love this.

Alissa says:

I LOVE it! I was just cutting out some of those half hexs last night hemming and hawing about what to do with them so that they don’t look too traditional…You’ve hit the nail on the head in that sense! Beautiful!

Ingrid says:

As a longtime lurker coming out to post..I wanted to say that i absolutely love this quilt. I think it showcases the hexagons and the far far away fabrics more when you use just a smattering. You give me so much inspiration!

Cherri House says:

I love this quilt!!! Beautiful!

Liz says:

It is awesome! I love it–it reminds me of some science diagram.

Ellen says:

I love this quilt (as will all of yours) you should open an Etsy shop and sell your non-keepers. I am sure there would be a huge response!

Sara says:

I love this quilt! Love the color!! What a great idea for a quilt! Thanks for sharing!!

barbara says:

Ashley, I love it. I think that it really not only showcases the fabric but the strength of the hexagons as well. So different than any other that I’ve seen.

Beth says:

I am also a lurker, have never commented, but must today! I love this quilt! I think just a “sprinkling” really makes you appreciate the fabrics more. I love the background and the lime green too and need to know how you pieced it. Is is applique?

jenny says:

love all your quilts…it would be hard to part w/them!

Katie B says:

This is gorgeous! I was wondering what you do with all of your quilts. Selling them is a great idea, but I’m sure it’s hard to part with them!

anjelle says:

Disappointed? I don’t think that’s possible. I think I like this ‘sprinkling’ more than I would a whole quilt of hexes. More dynamic, less busy. Gorgeous colors, as always. How could anyone be disappointed?

Cristin says:

Sheesh! I LOVE this! Just a dusting of hexagons – how divine!

Marissa says:

WOW, I really really love this quilt you did, I would love it. You did a great job on it. Thanks so much for sharing. I think I might try that hexagon pattern some time after seeing this quilt.

nettie says:

i love this one. everytime you make a quilt i think to myself, i’ve got to make one like that soon.

KV says:

I usually just lurk on quilting blogs, but I have to comment this time. I love, love, love this quilt. Gorgeous! More modern quilts are my favorite, and this one might be at the very top of that heap for me.

Nichole says:

i really like the sprinkling of the hexagons. it adds a lot of interest to the solid. i love that shade of purple too!

Michaela says:

This is so amazing! I have a whole bag of cut hexes…I’m getting ideas now!

Siew says:

This is fabulous. I love the hot pink. It really makes the hexs pop. And yes, do open an Etsy store. I’d buy that quilt!

angie says:

I love that it’s not all hex. Very nice.

tracy says:

I have to laugh b/c I said to myself before I finished reading: what is she going to do with all those quilts?!
    This one is fantastic and I am sure you will get some offers to provide it a new home.

Suzanne says:

I LOVE this quilt! The colors and patterns are gorgeous. Nice work:)

Deirdre says:

I’m also curious how you made the hexagons? Such a gorgeous quilt!!!

anina says:

It’s lovely! It makes me want to change the design of my hex quilt a little.

Janet says:

Fantastic quilt! I love the smattering – so eye catching. Thanks again for all of your inspiration!

Heather says:

Wow that is so pretty, I love the fuschia fabric you used, with the green binding. It looks so nice, the thread you quilted it with ties it all together. I have a hard time keeping quilts around my house, I tend to give them away, so this year I am keeping most of the quilts I make :)

I agree that you should open an Etsy shop!
    I am *very* new to quilting, and I have got to tell you that your awesome quilts inspire me so much and push me to keep plugging along to get this quilting thing figured out so I can someday make quilts like yours!

Slack says:

I love the sprinkling of hexagons. This is just so lovely!

Lyn says:

this is soooo gorgeous :)

andi says:

Absolutely wonderful!!!
    Andi :-)

Liz says:

It’s stunning. Absolutely stunning. Took my breath away.

Alexa says:

I know you hear this all the time, but your quilts are so amazing and INSPIRING! I need a quilt like this now!

Too many quilt! Sounds to me like a good problem to have :).

Jill says:

this quilt is just beautiful, as well as all your other ones! I would be happy to take it off your hands :) and add to my collection :) just beautiful!

Cass Ward says:

I love it not just the actual quilt but the pattern. The hexagons really stand out. I’ve never tried hexagons but you may have convinced me to as I think this quilt is stunning

Terri says:

I really love how you scattered the hexagons among that fabulous solid instead of doing an entire hexagon quilt. And the lime green binding looks great framing the purple. I’m not sure if I could give up this one!

Sophia says:

SO pretty!!! I love it Ashley! That is really creative how you spread the hexagons out..wonderful!

kerri says:

i just love the hexies and how they are scattered!! amazing indeed!!

isa says:

I love this.
    Really beautiful, and inspirationel.

oh my god! this quilt is extremely gorgeous. I love pink and the hexagon. You have such a good eyes. The color compliment and bring the hexagon up beautifully.

mjb says:

Wow – this quilt is so cool! The piecing and the colors are great.

Sara says:

This one is my favorite yet. Perfect in every way.

jacquie says:

totally cute! love the fuscia background too!!

jen says:

I absolutely love this quilt! I’m so glad it was NOT all hex’s. The solid color is so beautiful and it does make the hex’s stand out so much more. If it were me, I wouldn’t be able to part with this one.

Sally says:

I love this quilt. The hexagons is such a cool idea. How much would a quilt like this sell for

Sarah says:

This is just gorgeous. Such a great way to show off a favorite fabric and try out something new. There’s almost a chem book vibe to it, which I love. And as always, your eye for color is right on.

Amy says:

I LOVE this! I think it is perfect. I have thought about trying the half hexagons, now I want to even more, I guess I will add it to the growing to do list:)

Jennifer says:

I love this quilt. Sell it to us! I have a 3 year old that would adore this! :)
    Great job on it.

Laura says:

I absolutely LOVE this quilt. My parents are both scientists, and I could see them really liking this because it reminds me of chemistry and science and DNA.

karen says:

I think it’s fabulous!! I love the sprinkling…looks like a delicious confection.

nanann says:

Like a previous commenter, LOVE the berry color! My fave part is the piecing in the top right corner.

heather says:

This just might be my new FAVORITE QUILT!!!!!! LOVE, LOVE, LOVE it!!!!!!!

Kyla says:

this quilt is AMAZING!!!! i love everything about it!!!!…well almost everything….i think the back would look better was a solid color…totalllllly AMAZING <3 <3 <3

jaybird says:

nice!!! i like that you didn’t go 100% hexies… makes it different!

Surfbaby says:

Do you mind sharing what the main pink/fuchsia & lime green border fabric is & where I can find it? Absolutely amazing!

61. Pingback: Sew,Mama,Sew! Blog » » Board Member Introduction ~ Ashley

Lana says:

Ok Ladies,
    I took the plunge and bought it…and I should say…it’s so pretty in real life!!!!
    I love love love it….
    Oh, and when it arrived, Ashley had it all tied in a bow, with the prettiest little colored papers…I told her it felt like it was my birthday or Christmas already!!!

63. Pingback: Goals of all sorts (warning: serious linkage) «

64. Pingback: Half Hexagon Tutorial Part Three...the sewing of the strips | Magik Quilter

65. Pingback: 2009 was a good year – Film in the Fridge

Donna says:

I too have the same question as someone above – are these appliqued in or pieced in? I’m going to try this style on a larger quilt using my new Hope Valley Stash (sort of love the idea of showcasing favourite fabrics without using up too much of it . .!) and just wondering how this is constructed. Sorry if you answered this question already, I scrolled down and couldn’t see a response!

- Donna

67. Pingback: bucket list! « the adventures of mr & mrs jamar.

68. Pingback: I’ve been bit… at seventeen & em'

69. Pingback: FITF: a greenfield hill quilt top | Film in the Fridge