bespoke.

bespoke1

One of the lines I was most excited about at the last fall quilt market was the new double gauze line, Bespoke, from Cotton + Steel. I’ve collected Nani Iro for years, have made a couple quilts out of Heather Ross’s double gauze, used a bunch of solid double gauze in this quilt, yet I’ve always loved the thought of a nice big (simple!) double gauze quilt all for myself.

bespoke5

As I was putting together my scattered hearts quilt, the construction reminded me of this design, which is something I saw on wrapping paper this past holiday season. It has a bit of a Libs Elliot feel, though a simplified version.

bespoke3

I wanted something that would use larger pieces of the double gauze, and not have too many seams. I love that this one is quite simple to put together and fulfills my other criteria. I used some of each of the prints from the Bespoke line, paired with a couple Japanese solid double gauze colors.

bespoke6
(not the greatest photo, but it shows the airy quality of the double gauze)

Double gauze can be slightly more tricky to work with, as it does stretch (those two layers and that looser weave will do that!), but I think it’s certainly worth the extra trouble. I use a bit more spray starch (Flatter is my favorite) when ironing, but otherwise I go at it as I would anything else.

bespoke4

I plan on backing this one with more double gauze and using a wool batting from Quilters Dream. I haven’t tied a quilt before, but I think this one is calling for it. I can’t wait to spend the rest of the winter snuggled under this one!

bespoke2

_ _ _

P.S. I had the opportunity to chat with Stephanie at Modern Sewciety a couple weeks ago, and you can now hear our conversation on her podcast. I started listening to more podcasts after Serial, and I love listening to Stephanie’s. I like her easy going conversations and I always think it’s fun to hear how people sound (that being said, it’s kinda strange to hear your own voice!)

This entry was posted in Fabric, Posts about Quilts and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to bespoke.

Preeti says:

I love this type of quilts – pattern free, fearless, random and just so liberating. I can see the Libs Elliott in it too. How are you going to quilt it? Looking forward to the finished product.

erin says:

love this! and loved listening to you and stephanie chat. so fun!

erin says:

also…i think this is the perfect candidate for tying. can’t wait to see it!

Stephanie says:

Beautiful quilt! (Also I love posts like this that are specifically about fabric.)

diane says:

Great quilt, I love the simplicity.

Cathy says:

How did you piece the blocks? Did you improvise and just sew fabric together, or did you paper piece? I love the design.

Sarah says:

LOVE THIS! How big are the blocks (and the finished quilt top)? so beautiful…

mailergoat says:

Gorgeous! I’m inclined to dive into trying to ‘copy’ this, knowing that whatever I tried would come out differently with different color and placement choices…but I love your color sense and the movement here, it’s just wonderful!

Love everything about this quilt and post! Beautuful

Jamie says:

LOVE. Just LOVE.

Danica says:

The backdrops for all your quilt photos are just as beautiful as your quilts! Thank you so much for sharing your hard work and awesome talent.

Kathleen says:

Love your double gauze quilt. Wondering how you basted the quilt before hand tying? I have a voile top, flannel backing, wool batting quilt to baste but am afraid basting pins are too thick for the voile. Loose hand basting perhaps?
    Thanks – have loved your work for years!