Did you know Lotta Jansdotter has a new line coming out with Windham Fabrics? I didn’t, so it was a really fun surprise when I received this lovely bundle. I have always loved Lotta’s prints, and I love how this new one is instantly recognizable as her work. I’m quite fond of the pink and that periwinkle blue included in this collection (and the yellow, and the grays…oh, and the orange…).


I had recently finished a similar quilt out of Cotton + Steel, and thought it might be fun to see those pointy triangles made up with other fabrics. I grouped the prints again, but this time I added in a few more solids and instead of using lots of white, I used a few different grays.


I love the mix of colors and I’m particularly fond of how these prints play so well with so many different solids. And of course I still really love those triangles!


Follie is due to start shipping in November.



Posted in Fabric, Posts about Quilts | Tagged , , , , | 22 Comments

Friday giveaway from DuckaDilly!


Happy Friday to you! I have another great giveaway for you today, this time from DuckaDilly fabrics, a wonderful shop out of Ann Arbor, Michigan that specializes in Liberty of London fabrics. I think I mentioned it before, but I love that their shop name, DuckaDilly, was the the nickname that Winston Churchill gave to one of his daughters, Marigold, which is also their logo.


The owner, Lesley, offers a fabulous selection of Liberty, as well as a number of different ways to purchase it – perhaps you need a jelly roll? You can buy a lovely soft rainbow roll, or this great one in shades of pinks, purples and greens. (A jelly roll is perfect to use if you want to make Elizabeth’s Fancy Fox quilt…just saying!)


Or maybe you’d like to go nice and simple and make a patchwork quilt? You can buy precut 5″ charm packs, or you could opt for a great Liberty stash pack! They also offer a fun I love Liberty club, where you can receive a monthly Liberty fix! You select a Fat Quarter, Fat 8th, or Fat16th bundle and it arrives in your mailbox each month! (there are still a couple of spots left!)


Of course you can also buy Liberty by the yard (minimum cut is 1/4 yard). And if you’re looking for a fun way to add a bit of Liberty to your wardrobe, these city gym shorts only require about 1/2 a yard of fabric. They’ve also just received Liberty chambray and cotton fleece, just in time for some Autumn sewing!


Today DuckaDilly is offering a very generous prize (oh, how I wish I could win!). The lucky winner will win a $100 gift certificate to the shop!! Just think of all the lovely Liberty you could add to your stash!

– – –
To enter, please leave a comment here (one per person, please! If your comment doesn’t show immediately, never fear! It may just need to be approved on my end, and I’ll go through and do that periodically). The giveaway is open through Sunday evening and at that time I’ll select a winner and update this post.

Screen Shot 2014-08-17 at 7.56.37 PM

Update: A winner! has selected #286 as our winner, Kandyce, who said “oh, gosh. i would love to make a liberty quilt.”. A big congrats to you! I think you’ll certainly be able to order enough Liberty for a beautiful quilt!

_ _ _

While it’s not a requirement, I do hope that you’ll take some time when you have a chance to hop over and take a look through the DuckaDilly shop – I know Lesley would appreciate having you take a peek! And in case you’re tempted by anything, Lesley is offering 10% off through August 17th (excluding gift certificates or subscriptions) with coupon code FITF10.

You can follow DuckaDilly on Instagram or on Facebook for updates!

Posted in Fabric, Giveaway! | Tagged , , , | 673 Comments



This mustang print from Melody miller’s Mustang line is a definite favorite, and I immediately wanted to see it in a quilt. I’ve had this antique quilt pinned for a while and thought it might be a fun way to show off those mustangs.


Not being much of a planner, I found I didn’t have the right solids on hand, except for a couple double gauze solids. I decided to go with that medium blue, but quickly found that not only did I not have enough, I couldn’t even find it available online at that time. No problem – I figured I’d add in the gold as well, but of course I didn’t have enough of that one either. In the end I had to pull out four different solid double gauze solids to come up with enough background fabric. It did change my design, but I think it was for the best!

I probably would have just randomly placed the squares, but once my background become color blocked, I thought it would be fun to group my four main prints. I kept a few of the squares ‘blank’ (used the background fabric rather than a print), and cut all the triangles for my flying geese by hand for more of an improv look.


When it came time to quilt it I first considered some wavy horizontal quilting. I quilted a few lines and then spent time ripping them all out when I found it wasn’t quite what I had in mind. Instead I went with some narrow straight line quilting on the diagonal. As luck would have it, I found a beautiful variegated thread by Sulky that changed from gold to grey to yellowy-brown and works so perfectly with the four background solids.


(a little crosshatch quilting in a couple spots for fun!)


And the backing – mustangs, of course, along with the perfectly corresponding RJR aqua solid (toy boat) for the binding!

Previous post about this quilt can be found here.

Cotton + Steel is available at many shops now, and I've really been having so much fun making quilts with all their great designs. If you're looking to add some to your stash, I hope you'll consider visiting my sponsor's shops (links to sponsors are located on my blog on the right hand side!)

Posted in Fabric, Finished Quilts, Posts about Quilts, Quilts, [search] Liberated Quilts | Tagged , , , , , , , , | 38 Comments