a feather bed quilt in indigo

featherbed4

I had a lot of fun making this quilt, which is kind of strange, since I’m generally not a fan of making quilts from patterns. I have loved Anna Maria’s Feather Bed quilt since she first posted about it, and though it’s often been on my mind, I’ve never had the right stack of fabric.

featherbed2

As soon as I put together this one, full of lots of navy (a color I feel I’ve overlooked), some aquas and greeny-blues, a little sour lemon, a bit of orangey-red, and that beautiful Liberty of London floral print (Manuela, for those who asked). Making the feathers themselves was a pretty quick process – each half is cut from a few strip pieced sections and so you can very quickly amass lots of feather halves. I second guessed my background choice for a bit – the Robert Kaufman Essex yarn dyed linen in indigo – but I’m happy that I stuck with my original selection.

featherbed

I planned on making a twin size, which uses 38 feathers, but somehow I failed to count correctly and thought I was all set after making 30. At that point, thinking I was already done, I didn’t feel like making 8 more feathers, so a large throw it is. We don’t have a twin sized bed anyway, so I suppose it all works out!

featherbed3

Previous post about this quilt can be found here.

This entry was posted in Fabric, Posts about Quilts and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

25 Responses to a feather bed quilt in indigo

Judy says:

Well, it just look wonderful. I started my bedquilt last winter, but it became an UFO because of all my x-mas sewing presents….. I did at least 2 tablerunner with this motiv, that was fun. I think it will be time to take my feather-UFO back again to daylight, because it is just a great pattern!

anna says:

it’s stunning!!! Can’t wait to see it quilted, too! I adore the background choice, just perfect. And I totally hear ya on the blocks, might as well be done if you feel like it!

emily says:

simply beautiful! i love how it literally and figuratively soars into the background!

Carla says:

Isn’t that background awesome! Such a stunning quilt

Becky (central oregon) says:

Love the gray background.
    I usually second guess color choices about 2/3’s of the way thru a project…I have found if I get that far before the doubt kicks in that its going to be all right.
    It might be because of color saturation at that point.

Erica says:

Those feathers look like they would be really fun to make! I love this!

Sandra Woods says:

I love what you did with this. I especially like how you made some of the feathers half solid. It makes a nice shift. Thanks for sharing.

Megan says:

I really like the quilt and the grey ground it is on. Oh and look SNOW!!!!

Oh it turned out so nice, Ashley!! I love the background. I’m working on a third (not actively, but its been started) with a very similar color palette for the feathers. I can’t wait to see how you quilt this one. So far, the ones I’ve made have just been quilted around the feathers and down the stems.

Annalia says:

Those turned out great!

Teresa says:

This color combination looks great. And the view in the background, gorgeous!

Helen says:

Just Love Everything about your quilt! I may just need this!!!!

Amanda says:

It’s gorgeous and so is the background!! Great photos!

Hilary says:

Gorgeous! I love the colors you used.

kim says:

Oh, this is so so pretty! Great job! If you have a chance, can you please tell me: I’ve seen that fabric you’ve used for the background a few places now, and I am having a hard time figuring out the texture. . . does it feel like a flannel? Or linen? Or just a regular cotton quilting fabric that is made to look like a heavier fabric? Sorry if this is a silly question. It’s really cool and I was deciding if I should add it to my stash! Thanks!! :)

Kate Leepart says:

That is so beautiful. I love the fabric choices you made!!

Kathryn Knox says:

Wonderful!!! Good color choices, too.

laura hall says:

very nice! I love that pattern and your fabric choices really make it pop!

Laurelle C says:

It looks beautiful. I have also admired this pattern and want to give it a go some time. I love your colour choices and the photos are awesome :)

Marilyn Ruvolo says:

Do you have a pattern published for your In-Flight quilt? It’s gorgeous done in those Mormor Fabrics.
    Would love to purchase one, but have looked all over and can’t locate it. Sorry but I didn’t see an
    e-mail address to send this question. Thanks

Sarah Helene says:

AMAZING Feather pieced quilt . . . I agree with many comments stating: BEAUTIFUL, pretty, gorgeous, awesome, stunning and colorful! The lighter grey linen background fabric is PERFECT to the bright the colors of all the feathers. Please post a couple photos after this is quilted as we’d all LOVE to see the finished QUILT. Thanks for sharing. Sarah Helene in Minneapolis

Lu says:

WOW! Love, love. love your creation! Just the right color combo.

25. Pingback: FITF: seagull feathers | Film in the Fridge