all solids!

I’ve been a bit obsessed with the making of this quilt lately! It started with my desire to use up some of the scraps that I seem to have bag upon bag of, plus a little inspiration from an old quilting book (I’ll post a photo next time I blog about this one), plus my love of string blocks and foundation piecing. I know it’s not everyone’s favorite, but for me, I find the process of sewing strings to the paper and creating these blocks to be relaxing and mindless.

So mindless, perhaps that I went about blithely sewing these blocks, all the while kind of noticing that the strips weren’t covering the paper in exactly the same way each time, but not caring enough to do anything about it. After making 168 blocks (which should put this in the twin size range, I hope!), I started sewing them together and then realized what I should have realized earlier… being off that tiny bit was causing a big problem in getting the strips to line up when sewn in this manner.

It took some pulling and, ahem, shall we say persuading? to get things to kinda line up (at least lined up enough for my liking!). Consequently the entire top is a bit wonky and distorted, but I’m really hoping that it all works out in the end. Fingers crossed, cause I’m quite in love with this one, and really wouldn’t want to have to take it apart at this point!

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

13 Responses to all solids!

Robby H. says:

It’s a glorious display of color (especially against that great wall color). I understand the wonky concerns, but there’s a lot of movement in those blocks so I think only the most critical person would think to comment on that. My motto is that if you want to criticize it, you clearly aren’t quilt-worthy.

Nope! It’s perfect and lovely. You did a great job. What are your thoughts about quilting it?

Joyce Mullis says:

Oh how the color pops! Such a stunning and happy quilt

JEAN says:

Ashley,
    Kudos on a gorgeous quilt! I love it, though I believe all that’s important is that you love it! If you do, then it has a home!
    – Jean ❤

Elisabeth says:

Beautufil like it is !

Pat S says:

I love string quilts and this one is no exception. Honestly, I think what you call wonky is giving it a modern movement that wouldn’t be there if everything lined up perfectly. It’s gorgeous as is.

Barbara says:

It’s a beautiful quilt and I can see all the love put into it.

Colleen says:

lol, I love the “you clearly aren’t quilt-worthy” comment – true ! You have me thinking about a string WIP of my own that is languishing under something somewhere nearby.
    Everything about your quilt is beautiful and I think the strips not lining up has me more mesmerized – keeps me looking.

Cindy says:

My two favorite things…strings & solids!!!! Love it!!!

Rosemary Bolton says:

I love it. Amazing and totally beautiful

Patti A. says:

Please don’t think twice about it not lining up. It is great the way it is. Once it is quilted and loved to pieces no one will ever notice and if they do they are looking to hard.

Patricia says:

Oh my!your quilt is gorgeous and so cheerfull! You’ve done a fabulous job of using up scraps and creating a fun quilt