split angles quilt

splitangles4

Oh my! Look at this – a finished quilt! The start of Kindergarten for Max and preschool for Hazel has provided me with two mornings a week with just Henry. It’s a strange thing being at home with just one, especially one who naps all morning. I found myself wandering around the house doing nothing, then snapped to and decided finishing an older quilt would be top priority.

splitangles5

It helps that I had already purchased backing for this quilt while at Nido recently. I love this Cotton + Steel print from Alexia’s latest, Print Shop. It’s a great shade of yellow, and printed on unbleached cotton, which seems to lend it a softness that I really like.

splitangles

The top is a mix of all the Cotton + Steel prints I had on hand at the time. I love me a triangle quilt, and think this one with the split prints in the triangles is kind of fun. Plus, I’m a big fan of that polka dot which makes up the remaining triangles. It was also a good way to use up some smaller pieces of these prints – also a win.

splitangles3

I quilted straight lines on either sides of the seams. Sometimes I feel like it would be nice to be more creative and do something more intricate with the quilting, but when I really think about it, the quilts I like best are quilted pretty simply. And since I don’t have tons of quilting time these days, simpler is better. (That being said, I’m quite looking forward to taking a look at Jacquie Gering’s upcoming book, Walk, as I’d love a few ideas to step up my quilting!)

splitangles2

Hazel spent some time laying under this quilt while I was hand sewing the binding and she’s decided it should be hers. Interestingly enough, I finished it because I was kind of jealous of hers (which is quite similar, and can be seen here). It’s slightly weird to be jealous of a quilt that I made myself, but there you have it. So far I’m hanging on to this one, but we’ll see how long that lasts!

Previous post about this quilt can be found here

This entry was posted in [search] Other Quilts, Fabric, Finished Quilts, Posts about Quilts, Quilts and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

16 Responses to split angles quilt

I love this quilt. I too am a triangle and straight line lover. I like how these triangles are not all the same format. Gives it great interest and character.

Lynne Tilley says:

I love love love this quilt. Gorgeous. IT’S A KEEPER!! Don’t get rid of this one. Follow your instincts.

Susan Jonsson says:

Just in love with another of your quilts. I am a huge Cotton and Steel fan….I can’t tell you how many of your quilts and fabric choices have influenced and inspired me to make quilts too. Fabulous pics of your children ….So much fun to see them grow! Hats off to you….and you say only a baby in the hs…..I am a grandmother, recently. I get absolutely nothing at all done while watching her. My eyes and heart are glued to her
    ….Grand parenting is different, but I can’t fathom how you get so much done….and so beautifully!

Debbie G says:

I really like this quilt. I love the split triangles. I too like straight line quilting. I think too much quilting is distracting. I like a quilts piecing to be the star.

Randi says:

Very nice! Congrats on the finish. Always feels good to put that final stitch in one!

Kate says:

This is excellent. I love that the children of quilters become quilt connoisseurs at a young age. My youngest knows the way to my heart is to compliment my ”pwilts” (I started three years ago when she was born so she’s spent her life avoiding arrangements of fabric laid on the floor and now credits it with why she’s a “really good jumper.”). Glad you’re getting a bit of time to yourself again.

Paige says:

Oh my, how much they have grown! I’d keep this one too!

Denise says:

Hi, is there a written pattern to purchase? Love the triangles.

Erin says:

This is adorable! I hope you can keep little hands from stealing it, but I wouldn’t bet on that. πŸ˜‰

Pat S says:

Yes, I like this one a lot. Excellent use of scraps, too. Maybe you can arrange a quilt swap with Hazel. πŸ˜€

Helen in the UK says:

Great quilt, excellent way to use up scraps. The WALK book sounds interesting too, thanks for bringing to my attention πŸ™‚

Kaholly says:

It certainly IS a keeper! I do like those triangles!

Karen Grissen says:

I LOVE everything about this quilt, vibrant color, triangles, straight line quilting. Can I ask, is this a pattern you just dreamed up on your own, cuz you are really good like that, or is it something I might be able to find somewhere? I tend to overthink patterns and while I think it looks fairly straight forward I’m sure there would be a way easier way of achieving this look that the one in my mind. HA!

Tamie says:

I love this quilt and Hazel’s too. I think a triangle quilt is on my to do list.

janequiltsslowly says:

Love this! I am a triangle fan too and adore this idea of random scrappy with one background!

jodi says:

You must miss Nido! Has another shop opened in its place?