thoughts of pink and purple houses…

A repeat of another favorite!

ffa-front

I love Heather Ross’s Far Far Away fabrics, and I think they make a splendid quilt, due in part to the wonderful colors and prints, and also because the double gauze is so soft! For this one I cut 6″ squares of the prints (I think I managed to include all the prints from this line except one that I was missing).

ffa-front2

I decided to make it extra girly, so the back is two pinks from Amy Butler’s solids, with a strip of some of the prints from the front… and another princess, just for good measure!

ffa-back

A little story for you – back in the day, (long enough ago, and when I was young enough that the story isn’t that embarrassing!) my life’s dream was to be a ballerina. I was kind of clumsy though, and not really ballerina material, so I had to come up with a new dream. My cousin and I decided that we should become house painters (I’m quite glad that never came to fruition!). We decided we would set ourselves apart by only painting houses pink and purple. (Did I mention this was my male cousin? Yes Zach, I’m talking about you!) Anyway, the pink and purple backing of this quilt immediately made me think of this dream.

But back to the quilt… It’s bound in a solid purple. I quilted this one with straight lines again, trying to keep the quilting to a minimum so it would stay as soft as possible. The lines run diagonally through the squares in one direction, and in the other direction I used two diagonal lines for a little variety and some extra interest. It makes a lovely pattern on the back. This one measures about 42″ x 52″.

ffa-back2

It’s all washed, dried and crinkly and soft… and now for sale in the shop! Sold!

This entry was posted in 2009 Finished Quilts, Finished Quilts, Household Sewing - bags, napkins, pillows, Posts about Quilts, Quilts, [search] Charm Quilts and tagged , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

20 Responses to thoughts of pink and purple houses…

Liz says:

Once again, gorgeous and proof that you don’t need a fancy pattern to make a gorgeous quilt.

I’ve got a big fat quarter stack of all the Far Far Away fabrics, and plan on making a big-girl bed quilt for my daughter. I think we’ve got another year before she switches out of the crib (or so I hope), how much do you want to bet it takes most of that year to settle on a design and dare to make the first cut? ;-)

Julie says:

As usual, it’s beautiful! I love the girly colors. I haven’t had the pleasure of owning any of this line of fabric, but I love it.

Faith says:

Oh my gosh, I LOVE what you did with the back! I just ordered some FFA today (the blues/greens). I can’t wait to use it!

Jill says:

I love how you quilted it… wonderful!

Katie B says:

It looks great. I love the way you quilted it.

Lise says:

I love your house-painting story. We painted our house purple, and everyone we told of our plans tried to talk us out of it. Now it’s complimented all the time! Glad you decided to do quilts instead, though!

Kate says:

A stunning quilt Ashley and thank heavens you did not become a painter…we wouldn’t have all this fantastic quilts to look at!

I love the quilting. So simple but wonderful.

I love the house painting story. Have a great day.

Jennifer says:

I think this is my favorite of all the quilts you’ve made lately.

Lovely quilt! The back is scrumptious too!
    Thats a funny story about you and your cousin… the things we do as kids ;-)

Audrie says:

Beautiful quilt!!! I just love this line of fabrics and you’ve done such wonderful things with it :)

Kristy says:

That’s an adorable story. Ah, young aspirations.
    And an adorable quilt! You make me want to break out my FFA stash =)

Jenny says:

Oh this is gorgeous! I love the feel of the double gauze, it’s like a favorite, already worn t-shirt but you know it won’t come apart! The quilting adds such interest too!!

Sarah says:

You are so productive. Please tell me you are currently unemployed or somthing that makes this possible. Or — more specifically — if you’ve found a brilliant way to bypass the tedium of handstitching the binding on the back. Handstitching is by far the prettiest way to do it, but that alone takes me several evenings and more strain on my hands that I can actually defend.

Kim says:

Aw, this quilt just screams ZACH! So funny about the house painting!

Kyla says:

hahaha zack. i love the quilt. the unicorn squares are soooo cute!!! haha for some reason i just dont see zack with this quilt. im glad to see that you two didnt follow through with the house painting career.

Marty says:

I Like the simple straight lines you chose to quilt it in. I just recently started the machine quilting on my smaller quilts and I like it. Lovely quilt.

Nicole B. says:

Ashley it’s beautiful!!! I LOVE the back of the quilt! So fun! The design is wonderful. I had dreams too of being a ballerina…but I had the grace of Lucille Ball and my mom wouldn’t let me. She thought it would ruin my toes! LOL

pamela says:

I love the machine quilting. Oh, so wonderful.