solids on a line

solidblocks

This is my latest work in progress – a little something out of solids! These are all solids from the Hawthorne Hues line, and I wanted to use as many colors as I could in this one quilt.

solidblocks2

I’ve been building simple little blocks with the solids – having fun pairing colors and trying to get a good mix of all these great hues.

solidsashing

I’m a little stumped on the layout and sashing though. I wanted a background fabric that wouldn’t compete with the colorful blocks, so decided to stay away from another colored solid. I looked to my Robert Kaufman Essex stash – these are the colors I had on hand – Indigo, Natural?, Steel, and Black. I’m leaning towards the Steel or Black yarn dyed, but I’m still not sure. Perhaps I should order some of the other colors? Opinions welcome!

m&h11

And I thought I’d leave you with this funny outtake from our 11 month photo shoot (it was a tough one!). I ended up with many like this – apparently asking Max to smile doesn’t work!

This entry was posted in Fabric, Quilt Blocks and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

24 Responses to solids on a line

Chris says:

You have adorable children and I love your quilting style!

dispack says:

MMMMMM on the colors and so funny on the kids – they are adorable!

Linda says:

Oh, I love the outtake! It’s so real…lol. My daughter-in-law just sent me a phone pic of my 4-yr-old grandson holding his 3-month-old sister, and it’s the exact same “smile”.

I like the blocks, and I would suggest the Black for the sashing. I was going to say Steel, but on my monitor it looks the same as one of the blocks on top of it. Can’t wait to see the final quilt.

xo Linda

Marion says:

I couldn’t help but laughing out loud ! I know, this happens when you ask kids to “smile”….*ggg
    Regarding the blocks – they are great and I would combine them with steel.

Gayle says:

Cute blocks but the kids steal the show. They are adorable. I have two close in age boys too. Mine are 23 and 21 now. Not quite the show stoppers like you have any more.

Penny G says:

Max’s look is typical child, but Hazel’s jaw set is a little stronger than the average child. I bet she is more than a little strong willed.

I vote for one of the yarn dyed – indigo or black to give the background more texture and not compete with the solids. Gotta love Max’s version of a smile! My grandkids all went through that stage!

Liz says:

I love your little colorful blocks and look forward to seeing what you create with them.
    But, as we’ve all seen, your BEST creations are your beautiful kiddos! Charming and adorable!

Linda W. says:

Love your quilting style and these solids! The Essex all looks dark to me. Since there is just a peek of white/cream in there, how about a white/cream tiny border, then set on the darker Essex background? Or maybe the other way around: a small border of the black or steel, then set on a white background…Hmmmm…so fun to play. And for the record, when my son would “smile” as a little guy, we would get the same look. Cutie pie kids.

Pat S says:

Love the blocks. Love the kids. I like the steel.

Heather says:

The blocks remind me of boat flags or pennants. Oh the faces and mussed up hairdos! Love

Tamie says:

Such beautiful children.

Afton says:

You might not have got Max to smile, but you make me smile seeing the cute pic of the kiddos.

kitty says:

Your children are so adorable! Thank you for the regular updates!! Love your blocks! Since the colors of the Hawthorne Hues seem to be a little subdued (on my Mac screen), I would suggest to choose the darkest of your Essex stash.

Pam Chamberlin says:

I’d go lighter–a light natural or buff cotton or linen, not the yarn-dyed for this.

Coastal gray says:

Something about your blocks make me think of flags…..

Becky says:

Okay, forget your quilts. Is there ever a photo of your children that *isn’t* absolutely adorable?? They always bring a smile to my face.

Vicky says:

Looking forward to the quilt and I just love the photo of the kids!

Oooh… what lovely solids! They remind me of nautical flags… maybe you’re spelling out a message and you don’t even realize it! As for whether or not you should order more fabric, is there ever a negative answer to that? :) I think a lighter background/sashing would make those colours stand out a little more than the options you showed. Though seeing the blocks laid out on the various options might help to decide!

Susan says:

Love seeing pictures of your children! They are so beautiful!

Kathleen says:

love the blocks but love the pic of the kids more. They are just so darned cute.

I’m always drawn to solids in quilts. They always feel so crisp and clean to me. Your blocks look wonderful!

Nancy says:

There has been some talk lately on some of the blogs about using wider (1/2″) seams when using linen and the Essex blend. Unfortunately, I didn’t learn this until after making my Sparkle Punch quilt top(copycating Elizabeth Hartman’s lovely quilt). Mine is Essex flax for the background and all shade of pink with tan and brown. Too late now. I will work on reinforcing seams during the quilting process. It is for my new granddaughter Jo born in January. Your little ones are too cute. Smiling on cue is hard to do. I guess all you can do is catch them being cute and call it good.

Carol A.J. says:

I would suggest looking at Pepper Cory’s “Peppered shot cottons” They are much stronger than the Oakshott and have lots of nice colors. I like your plan for the quilt. I need to use up solids.

Your kids are darling. When they are teenagers, you will have your hands full.

Carol in VA BCH