briar rose strawberry patch quilt

briarrosestrawberrypatch

Well, I must say, Heather Ross definitely has a winner with this upcoming line, Briar Rose (available this July)! It’s been a long time since we’ve had the chance to get Heather Ross fabrics on quilting cotton, and this certainly does not disappoint!

briarrosestrawberrypatch4

It’s produced by Windham Fabrics, and from what I can tell from these 5″ charms, it’s printed on a really nice basecloth which will be wonderful for both quilting and clothing.

briarrosestrawberrypatch2

I was so pleased to receive a charm pack from Windham Fabrics, and wasted no time getting it sewn up into a little quilt. As I mentioned previously, my goal was to try to use the charm squares to make a decent sized quilt, so to that end, I added in a bunch of Michael Miller Cotton Couture solids in coordinating colors.

briarrosestrawberrypatch3

A desperate plea provided me with an extra piece of that great strawberry print, which I used for the majority of the backing, adding in a patchwork strip of leftover solids on either side. I even snuck in a little bit of the selvage which has a cute little strawberry on it (no photo, unfortunately!)

honeycombquilting

As I was thinking about how to quilt it, I remembered a pillow I had seen recently which was printed with an elongated hexagon/honeycomb design. I kept thinking how it would be fun to try to quilt a similar design, and what better quilt than this one with its honeycomb bee print? The photo above shows the quilt before washing, where you can sort of see that I drew out a grid and several various marking lines with washable marker to help keep everything in line.

honeycombquilting2

It’s a straight line design, which requires a bit of starting, stopping and pivoting, so maybe not the fastest quilting, but certainly fun, and I’m really pleased with the final look. I could put together a little diagram if you’d like to see how it was quilted. Elongated hexagon tutorial can be found here.

I’m really excited to see the new baby laying on this fun quilt, but before then, you might be able to catch a little glimpse of it at Quilt Market if you’re going!

Michael Miller Cotton Couture solids used in this quilt: Meadow, Lipstick, Petal, Cinnamon, Coral, Geranium, Venus, Lavender, Kryptonite, Blossom, plus two of their newest colors, Gold & Lemon.

Cotton Couture solids are available (and currently on sale!) at the Fat Quarter Shop. Also available at Pink Chalk Fabrics and Hawthorne Threads.

This entry was posted in baby, Fabric, Quilts, [search] Charm Quilts, [search] Wonky/Improv Quilts and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

31 Responses to briar rose strawberry patch quilt

Pat says:

What a sweet quilt and I love the honeycomb quilting.

Carla says:

The fabrics are just darling and if you have the time, I’d love to know how you got your quilting so straight ; )

Paige says:

I rarely get all aflutter about new lines but I am waiting for this one with baited breath! The quilt is lovely!

WendyLou says:

SUCH a lovely quilt! The bright colors would be so fun for a little girl. Your quilting, as always, is amazing. I love the honeycomb design – must have taken for.ev.er.

Amber says:

What a gorgeous quilt. I just love the quilting pattern & would love to see how you did it. Thanks for the inspiration!

cindi says:

love the quilting on this. soo cute. i am wondering what kind of washable marker you use to mark your quilts. i have had trouble with some of the “washable” markers since i spray baste. i don’t know if the marker and spray baste don’t play well together or what.

Cndy says:

I love this quilt- so bright and happy!!:) I love the honeycomb design and would love a how-to diagram! Thanks for sharing!:)

Dawnmarie says:

I love the quilting! Please share how you did it! It looks so perfect on this quilt!

mickey white says:

OH my beautiful quilt !!! I love the colors ; the pattern ; the quilting ; the binding . It’s so cheery and bright and HAPPY !!! LOVE IT !

Beth Elen says:

This is so bright and pretty, and I love the quilting-tutorial please, if you have time!

anna says:

it’s so gorgeous! Going to be perfect for your little baby girl when she comes!

Coastal gray says:

I think your idea for Briar Rose is great, especially love the quilting. If your up for it a diagram would be great…

jeanne e. says:

beautiful! i think i am going to have to save up for some Briar Rose… :)

I’ve been admiring the red on white strawberry print in this collection and can’t wait for it to come out. And I LOVE your quiting: chicken-wire quilting! Perfect for a summery quilt. I can imagine how you did it, but would love to see your diagram.

Christine says:

Please put together a little tutorial on the quilting. I love it!

Petra says:

LOVE love love it! The quilt is beautiful, and the quilting even more so! What a treasure.

lindsay says:

what a darling quilt! Can’t wait to get a charm pack myself;)

Diana says:

Bright and colorful and beautiful!

Jude Jones says:

Please share how you did that beautiful quilting. The straight lines are incredible….another stunner for sure!

Linda says:

Hi Ashley, you’ve outdone yourself this time. I just keep coming back to look at it. I can hardly wait until Briar Rose comes out. About how much of each of the solids do you think you used? I, also, would like that quilting diagram. When is that little girl going to be joining the family? I can’t wait to see her. Max is such a doll, I can’t wait to see a girly girl like him. 8-)

xo Linda

Lynne Tilley says:

Beautiful quilt!!! I do love Heather Ross. And I love the honeycomb quilting, fabulous!

robin says:

just lovely! I have been saving several single charm packs that I would love to turn into a bigger size quilt and your idea of the additional solids is spot on! Quilting is beautiful and I would so appreciate that diagram!

Jo says:

This quilt makes me smile…

CJ says:

Lovely fabric, really striking, and a fantastic quilt. The strawberry backing is delicious!

Franziska says:

a diagram would be nice, I’m always curious how quilting is made.

linda says:

Hi love this quilt – so sweet- and the quilting just finishes it off beautifully.
    I am using your blocks & stripes receipe for a new quilt, fingers crossed it turns out as good as yours!! Linda
    kokaquilts@gmail.com

28. Pingback: FITF: Elongated Hexagon/Honeycomb quilting – a tutorial | Film in the Fridge

Annie Harrier says:

Loved this sweet quilt! Also loved the tutorial on the quilting design! Want to try it soon! I am not good at free motion quilting, so anything that I can do with a walking foot is awesome!
    I have a daughter (almost 21) and a son (almost 18) enjoy them both immensely! My daughter still loves the quilt I made her as a baby! I hope your little one will too!
    Annie

Lizzie says:

Missed this the first time around, but I absolutely Love this use of Briar Rose!!!! just so simple and interesting, and the prints really shine all their own. Especially with those solids you chose as well.