strawberry patch quilt top

strawberrypatch5

This new line, Briar Rose, by Heather Ross for Windham Fabrics is one I’m super excited about, so it was wonderful to receive a surprise charm pack of these prints. I think it only sat overnight before I had dropped everything else to tear into the charm pack.

strawberrypatch2

Heather’s fabrics are absolutely gorgeous! Just look at these prints – those strawberries… I’m in love! Briar Rose is inspired by summer, and indeed it feels so cheerful and bright and transports me right back to my childhood -  sunny days in the berry patch, fields of wildflowers, and picking clover (though all the clover was picked and admired while I was supposed to be playing soccer…)

strawberrypatch3

Did I mention those strawberries? I’m quite certain that I’ll be needing to make a crib sheet out of one of the strawberry prints for the new baby!

strawberrypatchcharms

I pulled out a bunch of coordinating Michael Miller Cotton Couture solids and started pairing the charms with corresponding solids. My usual goal when I have just one charm pack to work with is to see how large a quilt top I can make, while still featuring the charm squares. Initially I thought I’d add in a bunch of white and use the bright solids as accents, but after seeing the charms along with the solids I decided I liked the idea of the quilt being made up of all these juicy solids.

strawberrypatch4

Then I had to decide how to use the charms – I started thinking about a couple older quilts I had made, coincidentally also out of Heather Ross’s fabrics, and decided to surround each charm with a brightly colored solid. I cut all the blocks down to 8″ square, and was going to sew them all together as is, but ultimately felt it needed a little something more.

strawberrypatch

So who says that the blocks all have to line up nicely? I added in strips of the solids randomly in between the horizontal rows of blocks and then sewed the rows together. I suppose if you like everything square and straight and all lined up (like my brother! oh wow, I’m linking back to all the old quilts in this post!), this wouldn’t be the quilt for you, but I think it’s pretty fun and I’m excited to use it as a colorful play mat for the new baby.

strawberrypatch7

This entry was posted in baby, Fabric, Posts about Quilts, Quilt Blocks and tagged , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

21 Responses to strawberry patch quilt top

Pat says:

Oh, boy is that ever cute, and delicious. Makes me want to have a picnic RIGHT NOW. Even though it is in the 30′s this morning.

Laura C says:

What a smart–and cute–way to maximize a charm pack. I couldn’t resist preordering yardage of those strawberries–not for crib sheets (which will be terribly cute), I’m thinking a Geranium Dress or a summer bubble suit for my 2yrold girl!

Ruth says:

What an adorable quilt! Now I have to make one, too.

Pam says:

Resh colors! Love them, your quilt highlights them so well.

randi says:

Loving this! I can’t wait for this line to arrive! Cute lines that can be used for kids (and adults!) are few and far between!

Julie says:

so lovely and COLORFUL! Love it!

Kate Erbach says:

Fresh, sweet, charming and love all the color!

terri henderson says:

my favorite block is the red print surrounded by the brown solid. love that one

liz f says:

The quilt is fabulous!!

DivaMomCarol says:

I live wonky! Wish the people I make stuff for did, too! Grrrrrrrrr

Sally says:

What a lovely quilt – we are enjoying a warm spell in Autumn and your quilt is the essence of summer x

CJ says:

The strawberries are lovely, but my favourite are the bees and honeycomb prints – absolutely gorgeous! You are having lots of fun with pink now I think.

Amber H says:

So pretty and colorful! Reminds me of early summer fun and picnics.

karen says:

I love all this “mismatched” fabulous freshness!! Can’t wait to see it all quilted up!!

Ann says:

Wonderful idea!! My guild is making nap mats/quilts for a local daycare and I have been looking for a quick and easy idea to showcase toddler and preschool type fabrics. May I use this idea??

Petra says:

This is so pretty! I am so excited about Briar Rose, and you turned it into something really beautiful! LOVE IT! I will have to make a quilt just like this. :)

Lynn says:

What a pretty, happy quilt! I love all the colors, off-angles and offset blocks. And love those fabrics; I hope to see some at my LQS. This will be a beautiful quilt for a baby (or for us big girls, too!).

kristi says:

I Love this quilt. I made one that looks so much like this for my daughter. Her fabric is Heather Ross Far Far Away though. I was so excited to see it because I just adore what you do and to have one already made like yours, very cool!

What a cute quilt top! I LOVE strawberry quilts and this is a super fun one. I’ll have to look for this line of prints. Quilts always say summer to me and what is more summer then strawberries? Love it! And love your work, this is a great blog to follow – always inspires me!

21. Pingback: FITF: briar rose strawberry patch quilt | Film in the Fridge