This End Up quilt

This year my family each selected just one person to buy gifts for. I ended up with my brother, and before you think that I just forced my love of quilts on a 29 year old guy, let me preface this by saying that he had previously mentioned that he’d like a quilt (though maybe he was just being nice!)

I started thinking about his quilt right after Thanksgiving, and went through my fabric stash to pick out all the ‘guy’ fabrics. I selected fabrics in shades of green, orange and blues (nothing with flowers!). Then those fabrics sat in a pile for a couple weeks while I tried to think of a pattern to use.

I finally decided on this for the front – I love how the white brightens up these fabrics -

I used the orange Amy Butler striped fabric for the majority of the binding, and also pieced in a few other prints from the quilt top because I really do love a pieced binding.

(Once I finished quilting it I just couldn’t resist taking it outside in the snow)

Now I must tell you a little bit about my brother. We tease Ryan for his OCD tendencies – he really likes everything to be straight and to line up correctly, and he does love everything to be clean (let’s not tell him I had his quilt out in the snow!). We discovered that he has a real issue with blankets or quilts when he can’t tell which end is the top. In his opinion, you should always have your feet at the same end of the blanket so you’re never putting your face next to the side where your feet may have been. (Personally, I don’t care, and maybe that just means I’m the one with the problem!)

Maybe you have to know him to find this as funny as I do, but I really got a kick out of making the back of this quilt -

And it looks like he’s pretty happy with it as well…

Merry Christmas Ryan! May your head never be where your feet have been…

This entry was posted in 2008 Finished Quilts, Finished Quilts, Household Sewing - bags, napkins, pillows, Posts about Quilts, Quilts, [search] Other Quilts and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

43 Responses to This End Up quilt

Okay, first, I love that quilt. Second, that arrow is too funny. Totally makes it. Such a fantastic idea! Nice work.

jacquie says:

that’s the best quilt back i’ve ever seen…and so thoughtful of you too!

Tricia says:

What a great idea! I DO think he has a point there and I just wish now that you hadn’t brought it up!!!
    Tricia

Meghan says:

What a sweet and funny gift! I think it’s perfect.

Rachel says:

That is the cutest Christmas story I have read all week!! What a great sister you are. :) :) May I ask what pattern you used for this or can you put a tutorial up for it? I have been wanting to make this quilt for a while now.

Thanks!
    Rachel

Cami says:

What a great quilt. Very manly. I love the backing. Such a cute idea. He looks like he really likes it.

MichelleB says:

It is a wonderful quilt! And too funny. I love the back – it was a great idea and came out great.

Colleen says:

Love the quilt! It is a great pattern. And I love the arrow too – looks like he really liked it : )

Kate says:

Your story is HILARIOUS, Ash! I’m still waiting for you to call me back so we can catch-up! :)

betsy says:

Funny, I need to make 2 men quilts and that one would be perfect!
    Your brother seems to love it!
    can you share the pattern name and source please?

christine says:

oh, that’s beautiful. what a great quilt! and personalized to just fit your brother’s needs. i think the arrow is a fabulous idea ^^.
    wish you a happy new year, and keep posting those pretty photos, please. i just found you a few days ago and really enjoy reading and looking :)

turtlewon says:

Hey Ash, I just knew you’d find a way in pics and text to share that great story. And it’s especially nice that you created that design just for him … and the title, the “this end up” quilt is so perfect! Good job! (Let’s hope he doesn’t see the snow shot!)

Alissa says:

Oh it’s great!! I find it’s so rare that quilts are made for men, so I love to them one that is. It’s wonderful! And the back is GREAT.

nettie says:

that’s hilarious, and so creative of you to think of the arrow. i love it.

Jen Eskridge says:

That is SUPER funny. Great quilt.

Shelly says:

The arrow is hilarious! LOL I love it! Looks like your brother loved the quilt.

Michelle says:

Your brother sounds a lot like one of my friends – great job on the up arrow, my friend would appreciate that! :) I’m sort of surprised the offset rectangles don’t bother him on some level… But the quilt itself is wonderful, great work!

Casey says:

I love it! the arrow is too funny!

Libby says:

What a hysterical idea with the arrow… I’m sure he appreciates the personal touch :)

Carrie says:

Great story and really fun personalized quilt!

Amber says:

This is so great – I love the arrow. And his reasoning does make sense!

Kathy says:

That is hilarious. I hope he really likes it! I love, love the arrow.

terriaw says:

I love the expression on your brother’s face! I’d say he likes his new quilt. Great job with this one made for a guy.

Sonia says:

how funny! I love the arrow. I’d say he definately has OCD.

Katherine says:

That is way too funny!! He look as though he loved it…hahahah!!

Betty says:

Okay- too flippin funny. I looooove the arrow- how wildly clever. And I love your little blessing “May your head never be…” too much! I need to get making my younger brother a quilt too. Luckily he is very into Japanese arts and stuff so I envision his being black and white with some traditional Japanese prints. Maybe I can score some yard sale goodies to cut up :)

anina says:

I love it! Very very clever!

amandajean says:

i. love. this. quilt. the front is oh-so-perfect. and the back is hilarious. such a great personal touch.

lol – love the arrow :) The top is beautiful – in a manly way!

Kirsten says:

I just love this quilt! I came across it on flicker and love the white combined with the colors. I am the same way with my feet and a blanket, love the arrow. Happy New Year!

31. Pingback: » A very floral quilt top » fabric and photos

Lisa says:

Ahahaha! The arrow is priceless! I love a quilt with a sense of humor.

Kristin L says:

Awesome! The back is even better than the front!

34. Pingback: » the colors of spring » fabric and photos

35. Pingback: Fuchsia Seas baby quilt - Film In The Fridge

36. Pingback: Is buying fabric a craft? « The Craft of Being Crafty

Faye says:

very nice! i love it!

and i guess im weird too. I always use the same end for top and bottom. never thought to put an arrow! he looked happy with it too

handsome guy i might add.

just found your blog and wow, only a year??? so talented

Crystal says:

I must be a little OCD like your brother because I feel the same way about blankets. I’m so glad to know that I am not the only one. My husband thinks I’m just crazy :)

Mama to 7 says:

I always mark the top of the quilt with a wider strip of fabric (wider border) at the top….i don’t want my head where my feet were either!!!!

40. Pingback: Whit finally gets a quilt! – Film in the Fridge

Robyn says:

This is so funny. That sounds like an issue my husband would have. Like he has to have separate clippers for fingernails and toenails, and he thinks I’m disgusting because I don’t. I’m like, can’t you just wash your hands after? But, no. No you can’t. Also, my shoes aren’t allowed in our closet because I don’t decontaminate them with every use with shoe spray. So, he’d probably love this quilt idea!

Gerry says:

That is as bad as when I first started quilting, my husban wanted his own (Cozy) If he layed it down on the sofa after taking a nap, and I used it for a lap quilt, he told me to make one for myself, because after I used his, he said it just didn’t feel right for him and he had to have it just right. So, I made myself one. Gerry

Nancy says:

Such a great inside joke! 100 years from now someone is going to wonder “What the heck?” Too funny. N