munki in the middle, version 2 (a & b)

munki-quilts

So this is a tale of two quilts… twin quilts, actually. But to be perfectly honest, it’s not so much a tale as it is me just showing you a bunch of photos of my newest love. And yes, I totally love this quilt. So much so that I had to make it a twin. The first one was intended for the shop, but then I fell in love, and so the second one was then destined for the shop, but now they seem so happy together… and yikes, this is why we have no room in our house!

munki1front

But seriously, they’re just too cute. I guess you could call this a combination of my munki martian quilt and the munki in the middle, version 1. I continued with the fussy cut munki munki fabrics for the centers, with a thin white solid border to set off the print. Then for these quilts, I used 12 different fun solids – 1 solid for each block. I added another white solid strip around each block and sashed it in this great light gray solid.

munki2front

The backing on each is simple, just a solid – two shades of aqua on one

munki1back

and two shades of pink for the other, set off with a couple strips of the solid white.

munki2back

For the quilting, I decided to go with several straight lines – three in one direction, and two in the other. The grid pattern is offset a bit to make sure that I didn’t quilt right through the munki centers.

munki2front2

The binding is Kona Coal (of course!), and they measure approximately 34″ x 44″.

If only we had twins!

munki-quilts2

This entry was posted in 2009 Finished Quilts, Finished Quilts, Posts about Quilts, Quilts, [search] Square-in-Square Quilts and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

72 Responses to munki in the middle, version 2 (a & b)

Love the quilts. I really like your idea of quilting with the offset grid. I am not much of a free-motion quilter (at least not yet), so I am always looking for ideas like this one. The quilting suits the quilt perfectly.

Liz says:

Hey, I’ve got 2-year-old boy/girl twins, you could send ‘em to me! :-)

Seriously, they’re beautiful. I love all of the different solids, I love how the thin white borders give it such a clean frame, and I love the gray. GORGEOUS, as always!

Tonya says:

These are awesome. Almost as awesome is your photo shoot location. It is almost as if it was painted to go with your quilts. Back to the quilts, they must go to a set of brother/sister twins. It is the only possibility.

Sherri says:

I love these Ashley – seriously beautiful! I love the solids around the squares, and the white just makes them pop even more. LOVE it!

LP says:

I love the quilting on these. You’ve encouraged me to try this sort of straight triple line quilting on my Birthday Boy Quilt.

Mary says:

Both are beautiful. I’m sure you find plenty of room for both of them. If not, you can send them my way. ;)

Angela says:

Very cute! Those fun solids tie all the random Munki colors together perfectly.

Oh…my gosh….I’ve seen the white outlines in some other quilts, but it’s never been as good as this. It’s completely amazing. I want to go start something with white outlines right now….oh, right, I have to go to work. Hmph.

It’s hard to pick a favorite from your creations but this may just be it.

Rene' says:

I can see why you want to keep them…and keep them both together. Beautiful. I love the quilting on these.

Jane Swanson says:

Stunningly beautiful……………………and the photo location is PERFECT.
    Such talent, Ashley!!

Deedrie says:

oh my, they are both so absolutely lovely. I would end up keeping both too!

Mary on Lake Pulaski says:

Just absolutely perfect – Munki – border – solids – quilting! You hit it out of the park…again Ashley!!

Crystal says:

Those are very pretty! You are so good at it. Would you mind showing us in a tutorial on makng those blocks?? :D I love how simple it looks.

Tex Montana says:

AW! Those are really sweet!

Cristin says:

Awesome twin quilts!!! Great use of the Munki fabrics, to boot!

Erin says:

Ashley, your work always leaves me breathless. Love the fuzzy cutting, and I love the little border of white around each block…it really makes each one pop. You always seem to know what kind of quilting will finish off your quilt perfectly, and your beautiful twin munki munkis are no exception :) Thank you for sharing with us!

Whitney says:

perfection! (even the photo shoot local is perfect)
    does this mean i no longer get to buy one, now that they’re a pair?

Marianne says:

These are great quilts, I would have a really hard time parting with them too!

MeganAnne says:

those are great! love the fussy cutting.

all I got to say though is be careful what you wish for.

Hillary says:

The quilting does set off the quilt perfectly! Love the fabric and the color choices! Hehe, I’d be a little more careful what you ask for though! Definitely be happy with the twin blankets and go no further on the idea of twins! Enjoy your new twins!

Meredith says:

Oh my! I love these too! I’m in the midst of planning (and collecting) for a munki quilt of my own. Such an inspiration yours are!

Karen says:

I get high just from looking at the photos! Those are wonderful quilts. Makes me wish I had twins just so I could justify buying them… um, if they were for sale. :)

Kirsten says:

We have twins . . . and they love munki munki . . . awesome quilts Ashley!

Leah says:

I have not commented yet but wanted to let you know I read your blog religiously! Your quilts are brilliant and my source of inspiration. Your use of color and white has really expanded my horizon. Thank you for your hard work and enlightenment. Your biggest fan!

Jessica says:

I can see why you’re having difficulty letting go of these!

Elizabeth says:

I love that quilt! You are so creative. I would have kept one too. One of these days I am going to make a quilt. I have to keep coming back here so I can be inspired and motivated.

Suzanne says:

These are so wonderful! Makes me wish I had twins…what am I thinking!!

wendy says:

OMG, these are so perfect! Perfect!!! The white binding makes them.

Michelle W. says:

I have been reading your blog for awhile and loving all the quilts that you have made, but this one – excuse me, these two – have to be my favorites. very lovely.

Be careful what you wish for…
    Fun quilts.

Audrie says:

I love these… the simplicity of them is lovely. I’m a big fan of white borders around blocks… and I’m about to get started on a quilt made mainly out of Kona solids. Very nice indeed!

LOVE THEM!! (The quilting is really great-I love the pattern you did!!)

Megan says:

Really, what else can I say but gorgeous! And I love hoe colorful but still in cool tones.

Katie B says:

I love the skinny white borders. So cool.

amandajean says:

they are very fun quilts! i see why you had to make two. i love the white frames with the grey sashing. nice!!!

Katie says:

Ashley,

Love these quilts! The white stripes are so crisp and fresh looking!

andi says:

The little white strips are just perfect.

Chels says:

Of course I love them and the fact that you can sew straight enough to put those tiny white borders makes me completely jealous!!

If I may ask, how do you sew your straight grid lines? Do you have a guide on your sewing machine? I’m workin on a baby quilt and have been laying painters tape on top of it so I can have a guide. After taping & retaping for half a day I’m totally open to suggestions!!

Emily says:

Those are too cute! I love the colors you chose for the solids! they really go so well together!

aimee says:

Stunning, as usual! I love the thin white borders. They totally make everything sing.

Bloom says:

Oooh, I love these. Those tiny white borders against the grey with pops of colour just works! My mind is racing with possibilities – thanks so much for the inspiration.

Jenna says:

Me, personally, I’d just work on cranking out a set of twins to justify keeping both of these beauties! Wonderful work – I love the quilting on these and the white borders around the Munki. Swoon!

nicolette says:

I’m in awe! Gorgeous quilts!

I now know I MUST place a large order for solids. Do you get most of them from Pink Chalk? I also got a bunch of munki munki–most parts of pajamas. How fun. And the name of these quilts is too cute: munki in the middle. Love it.

Mandy Foot says:

You are so clever and inspirational!!

lauradodson says:

WOWZERS. I love your quilts. And your color choices…

Alissa says:

Love. Love. Love. And love some more. Seriously Ashley. They are SO GREAT. Have you been finding yourself more and more drawn to solid in general? I really have been lately.

kate says:

I can see why you made another…and can also see why you don’t want to let either of them go! It’s the grey solid that rings my bells.

Jamie says:

I absolutely love the quilts!!! I am astonished as to where you found the wall to match!! You are amazing and always an inspiration!

CitricSugar says:

I adore the quilting on these two! Very modern and fresh – I may steal it in the future! :-)

amanda says:

Love love love!! The colors are wonderful – and what a cool place for a photo shoot.

Diane says:

These are beautiful. Love the grey and the quilting in 3 lines is wonderful!

adina says:

gorgeous! when i first saw the picture i thought “oh, no they did some graffiti to match the quilts”.
    then i started laughing hysterically at the thought. i’m TOTALLY joking. i don’t think you did that. it was just too funny and i thought i’d share it with you. i DO love those quilts myself!

Casey says:

my goodness, gorgeous as always!! I so wish I had extra money around for buying a quilt of yours, looking at the pictures make me so happy, I can only imagine how amazing they are in person.

sharon says:

Those are _lovely_. But how on earth did you keep your lines straight? Do you mark them ahead of time? Do you use tape? Every time I try to do lines like that they look great on 2 of the squares and questionable on the rest of the quilt.

Gorgeous. What out what you ask for with that twin thing! I love the stitching.

Sara L. says:

Gorgeous as usual! And I must know the name of the light grey fabric, that is the exact shade I have been searching for, to use for sashing in a quilt I’ve been planning. Is it also a Kona? Any idea on the name?

You are always such an inspiration!

Fiona says:

Wow! Like the others I am most impressed with your quilting and I can’t believe you have voluntarily grid quilted this with EXTRA lines! I have spent days doing very simple grid quiting and I have to say it’s one of the hardest things I have ever done! My stitches are uneven, my lines wonky (they match my blocks!) and I am exhausted! And I am a very experienced machine user, although obviously a new machine quilter. The idea of doing more lines makes me break out in a sweat (also it’s currently 34C in Melbourne!).
    Like Chels (above) I am using painter’s tape and have read every book and watched every clip on this but it’s tough work. Perhaps I should have started on a quilt that is smaller than Queen size! But I am in it now so on I go…
    Well done on beautiful work!

Amy says:

Can I copy this quilt? (for personal use.) Just the idea – small white border around Munki prints followed by a solid then another small white then gray sashing..

Kyla says:

I LOVE IT!!!!!!! it is sooo pretty i love all the colors together…its a great combination. Once again m greatly impressed

Krystina says:

Love your quilts! These are perfect for two kids of different gender that share a room. You should totally put them in the shop. I cannot even begin to tell you the amount of hair I pulled out of my head trying to find something gender neutral and cute for my two kids (one girl, one boy). It is the reason I finally broke down and made my own, which I can tell you are not nearly as nice as your work!

Trina says:

These are wonderful. The thin strips of white fabric are absolutely inspired. Really, really wonderful.

Madeline says:

Fabulous, fun fabrics and I love what you did with them.

jaybird says:

great quilts!! i love how you did the quilting.. and where you took the photos.. the painted bricks look like a ton of fun!

69. Pingback: 2009 was a good year – Film in the Fridge

Susan M. says:

Ashley, I love the pinks on the back of the one quilt. Do you remember what those are???? I like those two pinks together so much!

Thanks!
    Susan

71. Pingback: FITF: big diamond, little diamond – a straight line quilting pattern | Film in the Fridge

72. Pingback: FITF: strawberry patch quilt top | Film in the Fridge