Kate’s quilt

rainbowplus

Or at least that’s what I kept calling it when I was making it. Really though, it’s a quilt for both Kate and Matt, who were married this past summer. Kate and I met and became great friends in college and I was thrilled that we had the opportunity to attend their wedding.

rainbowplus2

If you’ve been reading along for a while, you’ll likely remember the previous version of this quilt. I made a small version here, and each time I posted a photo of it, Kate was quick to comment that it was one of her very favorites. So of course it was a no brainer when it came time for a wedding gift! I remade that quilt for them, making a lap quilt size.

I always have fun making a quilt like this, since it gives me a chance to dig though both my scraps and stash. I think it’s so fun to see so many different fabrics in one quilt!

rainbowplusback2

For the backing, I went with mostly darker gray, since I love the way it looks with the bright rainbow fabrics from the front. I added in a rainbow of tiny improv log cabins, and a bit of lighter gray when I ran out of the darker gray.

rianbowplusback

I free motion quilted it with this stem pattern, as I used in this quilt. Then it’s bound in a Dear Stella light gray stripe. It’s so fun to make quilts when you have a recipient in mind, and I certainly had fun making this one for Kate and Matt. And I’m even happier that I managed to get it to them before winter was completely over!

This entry was posted in Fabric, Posts about Quilts, Quilts, [search] Charm Quilts and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

17 Responses to Kate’s quilt

Michele says:

Beautiful! The back is fun too.

Patty says:

A very nice gift, I’m sure it will be treasured for years to come.

Tanis says:

SUch a beautiful colourful quilt! It’s so neat to see all those fabrics together, and must be even more fun to be working with so many colours at once! Lucky Kate ;)

Alice R. says:

I do love this one! So bright and happy.

Caryn Carson says:

I adore this quilt. Just the right amount of scrappiness without being chaotic. The colors have such great depth to them. I have a list of quilts to make from rainbow charm swaps. I hope you don’t mind if I add this idea to the list.

Amy says:

I always enjoy seeing your work! Question – what do you consider lap size? Everyone’s definition is different but this one looks just right.

Julierose says:

This is a gorgeous quilt! I love all that white around the crosses…Julierose

Mary Ann says:

Wow, this is such a fabulous quilt! I am sure your friends will cherish such a special gift!

karen says:

Gorgeous!! What a lucky couple…….

Kirsty says:

What a great quilt! I love the use of more white and the scrappy pluses!

SharonG says:

Wow it is beautiful…congratulations!

Jamie says:

I love this so much! Would you mind sharing a little about your process about how you construct this? Do you lay out each individual square and play around with placement, or is there some other method? I’m just wondering because of the way the plusses fit into one another, it’s not like you can sew the plusses together first and then arrange them, right? Or is there a trick? Thanks if you can share any tips! But thanks also for the continual supply of inspiration! :-)