rainbow plus scrap quilt

I’m pretty smitten with this one! I started this quilt in an attempt to use up some scraps, but then decided to keep it on the small side, so as far as using up scraps? well, I have some more work to do. But that aside, what I love most about it is seeing so many favorite fabrics in one little quilt.

I separated my scraps by color, then cut 2.5″ squares and laid out a variety of colored plusses, each made up of five unique prints. I filled in around the plusses with some bright white to really make the bright prints stand out.

I decided to quilt it with an uneven herringbone design again (I quilted my Swirling Swans quilt in a similar manner). This one isn’t as densely quilted and I love how it looks. I like how it doesn’t take away from the plus design, yet adds a little something to the white sections.

And I love how it looks on the backing too! I used up some of the remaining squares to make up these colored stripes, arranged in rainbow order. It’s all finished off with a dark charcoal print for binding.

This entry was posted in Posts about Quilts, Quilts, [search] Charm Quilts and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

28 Responses to rainbow plus scrap quilt

It’s a beauty! The quilting is terrific. I like loose quilting like this. I think my favorite plus quilts have lots of negative space, like this one. Keeps it interesting.

carla says:

So bright and happy! The perfect size too.

Pretty sure everything about this quilt is perfect. Nicely done!

Anna says:

I love it…it looks fantastic!

Deb Konopka says:

This is beautiful. Think I’ll model my next quilt after this.

Beautiful !! I am not sure which side I like best….they are both “front” worthy!!

mary says:

Awesome – I struggle with deciding how to quilt things and this is so lovely. I’ve got 2 scrap quilts on the go and think that this will have to be next on the list!

Erica says:

Beautiful! I am definitely going to have to try quilting like this, it turned out really great!

Jenny says:

REALLY cute. And I love the quilting.

anna says:

love the colors! I need to make a plus quilt one of these days!

It’s really beautiful. Sometimes I forget to use pure white – this is a great reason to do so!

That is very cool!! I love the colours against the white and the back is fantastic!!

K Haushalter says:

LOVE IT!!! What a great idea!

Kate says:

I think this is one of my favorite quilts you’ve made. Love all the colors and fabrics!

Kate says:

Great quilt, love the quilting too.

sewkatiedid says:

I’ve been messing with scraps too, but they seem to multiply before my eyes. Love the white, makes the crosses pop which is often a problem with cross quilts I see.

Dee says:

I need to use up scraps and this quilt looks to be a great way to do it. The white gives it the pop it needs and the quilting is perfect. Thanks for the inspiration.

karen smith says:

I really like how you do your machine quilting. I’m not a great machine quilter and don’t own a long-arm so it’s nice to see someone else be able to do interesting machine quilting on a regular sewing machine. Your quilting looks very simple yet sophisticated. And I always like your color choices, too. Don’t know how you achieve it all with a little one to take care of, too!? My kids are all grown now, so it seems like I should be more prolific but it hasn’t happened yet! LOL!!

Lisa C says:

I have made two plus quilts in the more traditional manner. One with 5″ (original) squares and one with 4″ squares. What size did you use? I preferred the look of the finished 3.5″ squares. Thanks for posting and giving me another idea on using this pattern. Great for scraps.

Colleen says:

Like all your other quilts, it gets an A+ (get it?…LOL…sorry couldn’t resist the pun) :)

Nina says:

This is gorgeous! The colors are so beautiful!

Pattie says:

Ashley, I love love love this one! I have been planning a ‘plus’ quilt for a few weeks, and seeing this one makes me even more excited to get out my stash and start cutting. :) I was thinking of doing all five of the squares in the same fabric, but now you’ve got me thinking about just grouping colours. Beautiful work, thank you for sharing and inspiring.

26. Pingback: FITF: Kate’s quilt | Film in the Fridge

Caryn Carson says:

The quilting on this is amazing!

28. Pingback: Quilt Fridays | Stitch ParadeStitch Parade