a new look for the couch

pillows

Oh boy, it was time for a little update! The original pillow covers on this couch were from when I first started sewing, and to be honest, I was never really sold on the darker colors I had chosen.

pillows3

I’ve been trying to clean out a few of our closets, and in doing so, I came across these cream colored (furry!) pillow covers I bought years ago from Pottery Barn. I had never used them because they were meant for a much larger pillow form – it’s about time I finally got my act together and cut them down to size!

pillows4

In that same closet, I also discovered this great piece of heavyweight cotton sateen Marimekko gingko print I bought years ago. I used that for the front of each pillow and backed them with a Lecien yarn dyed mini gingham in brown. The binding is the Marguerite Stripe in pink, which I love. It’s printed on the diagonal, so when cut in strips it gives the look of bias cut strips, without having to cut on the bias!

pillows2

The last pillow was the most fun – I’ve never had a cover for this lumbar pillow insert, but have always wanted to use it on this couch. I started with the prints I had already used – the Marimekko print, the brown gingham and the pink stripe and then I pulled some additional prints from my stash. I went for some soft pinks, a few text prints and one pinky-coral solid. I cut 3 1/4″ squares to make a patchwork piece to cover this 16″ x 26″ pillow. What I love about this patchwork piece is that I finally cut into some favorite prints and now get to see them every day.¬†While I’m sad knowing that I can’t rebuy many of these prints, at least they’re no longer just sitting in my stash!

This entry was posted in Fabric, Household Sewing - bags, napkins, pillows and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

17 Responses to a new look for the couch

Linda says:

I LOVE the new pillows, especially the Gingko leaves. There’s something about Gingko leaves that is so attractive to me, I don’t know exactly what it is. All the colors are so soft, but really stand out on the couch! No photobomber this time? 8-)

xo Linda

Angie says:

Love the Marimekko print! I’ve got the same but in yellow on my bed :)

Kar says:

It all goes so well with the wall color in your room. Love the leaf print! Bold and perfect.

dispack says:

Great! pillows, Ashley. Nice job.

jeanne e. says:

lovely, lovely pillows. :) your comment about using favorite fabrics you have had for awhile hit home today…i got a bunch of favorite fabrics for my last birthday, mostly fat quarters, and have been holding off cutting into them, not having the right project. but a friend and i are doing our own mystery quilt along this year (we take turns picking a theme each month and then we each make 2 blocks…1 that we keep and 1 that we give the other…at the end of the year, we will have 24 blocks for a quilt top) and i just starting cutting into my favorites to use on this quilt. :) i love fabric…and quilting…

Julie says:

Cushions look great – I love the Gingko print.

Valerie says:

These are juzt gorgeous, especially the ginko leaves! I am also making pillow covers, but I think I want yours.

Cindy says:

Love, love your pillows! Love the colors- so soft and soothing and you can’t beat looking at your favorite prints every day!! Nice job! (is Max napping? :)

Ramona says:

Beautiful work. The colors and fabrics are awesome.

sara says:

I love this pillows! Beatiful work :)

Tamie says:

Beautiful….I love how you have brightened up your sofa and now can enjoy some beloved fabrics. I admit my fabrics become mini-treasures to me and cutting into them can be so difficult, I always wonder if I should save it for something else! I am trying to live a bit more “carpe diem’ with my stash these days!

Lori Somes says:

Hi. Love, Love, Love!!! your pillows and fabric choices. I’m going to ask a question you’ve probably been asked before a million times, this will make it a million +
    Would you be able to refer me to a good pillow tutorial? I look at YouTube and google, but your pillows are crisp, tight and clean. I’d so appreciate any advice you could give me and any direction you could point me to.

Nita says:

I really like those. Thanks for sharing them with us!

Elise says:

Love the colors and fabric choices! A great fresh look for your couch!

Your couch looks like the most serene setting for a lovely nap! Gorgeous update!

16. Pingback: FITF: pale pink patchwork | Film in the Fridge