another quilt for a new baby

I love making baby quilts. They’re usually pretty quick and a great chance to try out new designs. But best of all of course, is the thought of the new little one who will use the quilt. Babies on quilts — the best!

This little one was a quick quilt for a neighbor friend having her second little boy. I wasn’t too sure about their colors or likes/dislikes, so I decided to go simple here. As I considered my options, I was once again drawn to blues and oranges as a good color option (usually pretty safe!) and I made up the little stack that I showed here. Then I remembered that I had recently pulled a little inspiration from a magazine also in blue and orange.

Usually I pull out these types of images to use as inspiration, but in this case I liked this one just as it was, so here you have it, this bowl design as a quilt!

I used Kona White, Blue & Amber as the solids, along with a little Lotta Jansdotter crosshatch and a bit of a polka dot from the Children at Play line.

At the last minute I realized that the background of Heather Ross’s goldfish print nearly perfectly matched the Kona Blue, so I pieced in just a couple goldfish for fun (and as you can see, the goldfish are fun to point at!).

And what better backing than some super soft Heather Ross? I’ve been hoarding this Mendocino swim class print, but honestly, I really couldn’t think of anything better suited for this quilt and for a sweet new baby!

I still can’t lay out a quilt without Max thinking he needs to settle in on it. This time he brought his cars and a book, so apparently he was ready to stay for a while. Um, toddler tested, I guess. Anyway, I hope the new baby will get lots of use out of this quilt!

[As an aside, I pieced the top blue and white section, and it wasn't until I was finished with all those narrow little strips that I realized that a striped fabric would have been much simpler! (This one from Jennifer Moore's Fox Hollow line would be great). I'm happy I pieced it though, as I could alter the width of the strips, and it gave me a chance to add in those three little goldfish. But I'm intrigued by the thought of using a striped fabric, so later this week I'll show you a version using a stripe.]

This entry was posted in baby, Fabric, Quilts, [search] Strip Quilts and tagged , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

32 Responses to another quilt for a new baby

leslie says:

absolutely stunning! and the goldfish are pure genius.

EG says:

I love, love, love this quilt! Especially those three little fishies swimming across.

MelodyJ says:

Actually at first I thought it was a striped fabric but I was wondering to myself if you’d embroidered the little fishes. Very nice! I love making baby quilts.Good for practicing doing quilting too.

tiffany says:

gorgeous! what is that beautiful binding? it is perfect… almost looks like little waves.

Just adorable. What size is it? I primarily make baby quilts so I’m always interested in what sizes people think are useful!

Brooke says:

I actually thought it was striped until you pointed out the goldfish. Love these colors! I am really loving the binding- what fabric did you use for that? I am in need of some good binding fabrics!

Jolene says:

Adding those little fish is absolutely genius!! Brilliant!! This quilt is SO wonderful!

love it all! love the little fingers and toes. . . and the Heather’s goldfish, of course.

Cindy says:

This is beautiful and I love the colors you chose!! And the goldfish…too adorable!! Max is getting so big and just so cute!:)

Becky says:

AMAZING! I love this quilt! The goldfish are so awesome, as is the design and colors!

Pattie says:

I love that you shared your inspiration photo with us – great idea! The little goldfish are so sweet and once baby becomes toddler, will be loved even more I’m sure. Another commenter asked about size – I tend to make them about 36″ x 40″ when I do baby quilts – not sure what others do.

michelle says:

the quilt is beautiful. but i must say, the lil fingers and feetsies steal the show.

Sarah says:

Those goldfish are so cute on this quilt!

sometimes the simplest quilts are the most beautiful. I really love this and your inspiration was captured perfectly

15. Pingback: FITF: Friday Fabric stack #5 | Film in the Fridge

Suzanne says:

You are so patient to piece stripes! Love these colors together and appreciate the idea to seek inspiration from magazines.

Carin says:

I absolutely adore those goldfish on this quilt! It’s amazing how much fun such a little addition can be. I have to make a baby boy quilt soon for a cousin, and I think I’ll go with a blue and orange color scheme. Thanks for the inspiration!

ara jane says:

i love the simplicity of this quilt… perfect for a new baby. but what i love most is that max is reading little blue and little yellow, one of our favorite leo lionni books!

Sharon T says:

Love your quilt…but the best part is seeing your sweet Max again! Such a cutie!

Jenny says:

I absolutely love it.

Pétra says:

I love the how subtle this is and the colors are great! It makes me want to make a baby quilt : )

K says:

Love, LOVE the little fishes. So clever–what a great detail.

I am gonna say it again “Come here little fishes” Great finish..

kristina says:

I LOVE this. I may have to steal this for my soon to be born nephew. I don’t understand how you did the fish?? So cute though.

Sophia says:

Love this quilt Ashley!!! Is the Kona blue—baby boy blue? There aren’t many quilts stores near me, so I want to order the right color! I absolutely love how you put some fishies in there. I have a friend that has just had a boy and would love to incorporate that in the quilt, it it would be ok with you of course! =)
    Thanks you Ashley!!!
    Sophia

What a beauty, Ashley! So simple and so good.

Jude says:

What batting do you use? it looks incredibly soft….thanks, love your blog and your quilts..jude

Nancy says:

I love that wavy stripe you used for the binding. Do you remember what it is called? Does it come in other colors? Thanks. Nancy

Karen says:

I love the colors. Great job.