windmill whimsy 2

I don’t think I’ll ever tire of this color combo! I think it’s perfect as a baby quilt, and especially perfect as it works equally as well for a boy or a girl, or when you need a gift for someone who may not be finding out what they’re having.

And of course I’m always happy when I can incorporate a bit of those Heather Ross goldfish!

I made this top last summer (as a repeat of my Windmill Whimsy quilt from way back) and posted about it here, and then, uh, apparently got stalled at the quilting part. Again, I’m making 2012 all about finishing older quilts, so this was next on the list, and I’m pleased to say it ending up being a quick finish. I did a good old meandering design on this one, since I love the all-over quilting on this design.

I used up some of the remaining printed squares for the backing, and then used this great Robert Kaufman Anne Kelle Remix dot print for the binding.

You know how sometimes dots as binding can go slightly askew? I think this one, with its scattered dots, is perfect as binding (and comes in several colors!).

I’m really happy with how this one turned out! And as an aside, look at all this sun in Vermont this weekend! Like so many, we’re experiencing an early (and warm!) Spring, and boy is it nice. Maybe not so great for quilt photography though…

This entry was posted in baby, Quilts, [search] Charm Quilts and tagged , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

52 Responses to windmill whimsy 2

Sadie says:

This is such a lovely quilt. Great tip about the remix dot for binding :-) I’m not a fan of trimming HST’s but maybe if I got a quilt like this at the end it would be worth it!

randi says:

i LOVE this one, ashley. lovely colors and layout. just perfect!

Zarina says:

What building is at the background? At first I thought it was a surf board propped on the wall but the more I look at it, I wonder more.

And yes, my eyes are pulling toward the building and not the quilt (but I just love the binding).

Jeni says:

Ooooh! Really love this one Ashley! :)

carla says:

Once again it’s fabulous……..as is the rusty old thing in the background! Great pic

Suzanne says:

I’m happy you are pulling quilts out of your “vault” and getting them done. I love the inspiration.

I love the color scheme you used! The back looks just as good as the front too! Love it.

bdaiss says:

Wow! Lovelovelove this one! I’m a sucker for Heather Ross..although I have yet to get any for myself. (Just can’t swing it in the budget.) I’m determined to get a few quilts done this year – I think I see a couple of these in my future!

mindy t says:

gorgeous!!! tutorial??

terriaw says:

This quilt is gorgeous! I really love those colors together, and in this block. Love that polka dot binding too. The pieced back is awesome too – almost makes this a reversible quilt. Nice job!

Bailey says:

It that a silo? That is a really cool door and as a previous poster said, I also thought it was a surfboard at first too! The color combo of the quilt is one of my favorites.

Linda says:

Beautiful as usual! The color combo and the way you have them together is great. Keep up the good work.

xo Linda

nicke says:

i love this quilt! every time you show a new quilt i think how does she do it every single time. good work ashley!

nettie says:

I hate that when dots go askew on binding! this quilt is really cute, you are right, the colors are perfect.

Marian says:

Beautiful! I really like this pattern. It looks great!

Susan Jonsson says:

What an amazing quilt. Can’t stop looking at it. Design, fabric choice….color….photography. Just the BEST. Any chance for a pattern or tutorial? First grand-niece/nephew coming soon….Thank you so much for sharing this beautiful quilt.

Susan

Deb konopka says:

This is gorgeous. I love the pattern, colors,and binding.

Malin says:

Awsome! Very nice quilt! Soo nice colours!!
    Oh and that door! Like! :-)

Jessica says:

As someone who is expecting a baby in June and has no idea what it might be, this is exactly what I’d want! I actually have a little stash of orange, green and grey fabrics waiting to be turned into a quilt. I’ve never done anything with HST, though!

Nova says:

i adore those colours & as for the spotty binding… just perfect! Enjoy that sunshine :)
    x

Kim says:

That is so beautiful. I agree, perfect colour combo. You are making want to quilt so bad. Choosing colours and prints is not my forte hence why I’ve only made one quilt using a pack of charms. This would be so awesome if I wasn’t a Gemini and can’t decide on anything.

Katy says:

It looks fab, and love the fabric combos

You’re right, that dot looks great for a binding. Thanks for pointing it out!

Dawn says:

Gorgeous! Wonderful colors. The mom-to-be will be delighted with this beauty. Love the background for your photo shoot. Can you share what the building is? have never seen anything like it and has my curiosity peaked. :)

olivia says:

This is such a beautiful combo of colors!! Love the orange, teal and grey! You give me such inspiration, I am so glad I found your blog! I’m getting the quilting bug!!

cynthia says:

I really love your quilt, it’s beautiful :)

duyvken says:

Love this! And I have a bunch of hst’s waiting for a home. Might have to use this pattern.

Lournetta says:

this is a lovely quilt. i really like the colors you put together

Paula says:

LOVE this quilt!!! Is there a tutorial or can I purchase a pattern? I think I want to start this one… soon… as I finish the one I’m working on now.. and the other one I should be working on… It really is beautiful!!

• 42
      ashley says:

I don’t think I’ll be able to swing a tutorial for this one in the near future, though all you need is a tutorial for making half square triangles (there are lots available online!) and then it’s just a matter of laying them out in a certain manner to get this pattern.

Catriona says:

Ooh gorgeous! Any chance of a pattern or tutorial? I have my first flea market fancy fabric on its way from america to nz and this mightbjust be the quilt for it!!

Lisa Johnson says:

Beautiful color combo and sweet quilt.

this is beautiful. I love the colors and the pattern you have used.

Lindsey says:

I absolutely LOVE this quilt. I’m working on putting together raffle prizes for Relay for Life, and I’d love to do something similar if that’s ok with you!!

Karin says:

Great colour combo! I don’t’ think I’d tire of it either. I like the pattern too.

Fran says:

Color combo is just so wonderful to look at….like eye candy!

karen says:

i absolutely can never tire of an orange/blue combo either, particularly when it is put together so exquisitely. As for random dots…love them!

Rachael says:

Do you make these for purchase:) I love it!

Louise says:

It is 2014 and I know nothing about quilting except I really love this one. I don’t know if you will ever see this comment, but if you still make/sell these, please email me back. They are lovely. Thanks, LL