kites in the clouds quilt

I’m really excited to have finished up this quilt! As I may have mentioned last time, this is the first quilt I’ve made that’s made up entirely of solids. And I wonder now why I waited so long!

This quilt got its start many, many months ago. At that time, I had just finished my Flying Farfalle quilt, and wanted to make a second similar quilt. Instead of using white for the main solid, I went with Kona Coal and paired it with lots of Kona scraps. To make the colors pop, I outlined them with a tiny bit of white.

I intended to lay it out the same way as the Flying Farfalle quilt, but then Morgan started playing with the layout while it was up on the design wall and turned it into this instead. I love the imperfect little colored diamonds (or kites!) it creates.

I kept the backing pretty simple, using lots more Kona Coal, along with just a couple tiny strips of colored solids. I knew I wanted to use a dark gray thread for quilting, and I don’t love the look of a dark thread on lighter colored fabrics, so I figured I’d keep the backing mostly gray to avoid that.

It took a while to decide how to quilt it – again, mainly because I wanted to avoid the look of the dark thread going through the white and lighter colored fabrics. Finally I came up with this big zig zag quilting pattern which goes through each block, but avoids the colored diamonds. I did a double line zig zag horizonally through the quilt, and I love how it looks.

And yes, Max now has yet another new quilt! I realize this is really thinking in advance (and I’m sure there will be many other quilts before this), but I think this might make a great quilt when he moves to a toddler bed. But for now, we’ll use it as another playmat!

My tutorial for this quilt block may be found here.

Previous posts about this quilt - Part 1 and Part 2.

This entry was posted in Posts about Quilts, Quilts, [search] Liberated Quilts and tagged , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

28 Responses to kites in the clouds quilt

terriaw says:

Love it! I especially love the cool quilting lines you did, giving it that fabulous crinkly goodness when in use.

Erica says:

I loved this so much when you showed the top, but I love it even more with thequilting lines you chose! It looks amazing!

kerri says:

so amazing, ashley!! i LOVE it!! little max is just too cute laying in it!!

Oh this is just beautiful! I remember seeing the pattern, and it’s great to see the whole thing now! I also like how you call them kites… playful and fun!

Kar says:

Morgan did a nice job changing things around for you. Great help you have there. :) Max can never have too many quilts from his Mommy. You have to make sure he never gets cold. :)

Beth says:

I love it so much!! The quilting is awesome! Lucky Max! Smiles~Beth

Mary Jo says:

I am so amazed at the beautiful quilts you keep showing us. This is great.

anna says:

i love it ashley, and the little bits of color are just perfect.

CitricSugar says:

I’d been wondering about this one…. It looks great – love the quilting!

Amanda says:

I love the quilting on this!

Nova says:

I LOVE this one Ashley! great quilting :)
    x

Wow, I LOVE this. I am having a gray obsession right now. The quilting is so subtle and beautiful to create the kites. Thank you for sharing!

carla says:

Okay, so you’re pretty much the most amazing person on the planet!

Erin M. says:

Simple and yet so lovely. The quilting is very nice on it. Good choice. I may have to make one of these. It seems like a design that will look so different depending on the color schemes.

Jessica B says:

Beautiful! I really like how you combined creativity and simplicity!

I’ve been hoping this quilt would make a re-appearance. It turned out beautifully! And the double line diamond quilting is exquisite. Thanks for posting the tutorial.
    Max is getting BIG!!

Suzanne says:

Max looks great peeking out from under that wonderful quilt.

elsa says:

really liking your color choices and, of course, it looks even better with Max in the middle of it!

julie says:

wow it’s really striking and beautiful, i love the kona coal. another amazing quilt.

brenda says:

truly, the best part is max snuggled in. thanks for again sharing your works, ideas, and inspiration!!

Jane Swanson says:

Wonderful quilting, Max is adorable!!
    I love the background in your photo shoot!
    AWESOME!

He’s getting so big already! The quilting is genius and really stands out with the design.

Sara Hill says:

Really unique quilt and quilting–I really like this and it’s very different and fresh—

Milkybeer says:

Fabulous job. I was just pondering doing a gray quilt with solids but I wasn’t sure how it would look. I love how yours turned out so I’m going to go for it!

WOW… LOVE THIS QUILT. A great feel. A great warmth.

Laura Wilson says:

Love LOVE LOVE this quilt.. I just finished one for a charity quilt and it’s fast, it’s easy, and it’s great looking. Thank you~~

Raven says:

Hi Aahley I;ve admried this quilt for months and never got round to doing it because of other work however I made this this week and totally totally love it. THe response on MQG has been very positive as wel land I have put it on the NOrwich (UK) MQG and hope that it brings lots of interest in your work . Thanks

Raven