a finished starburst quilt

Remember this crazy quilt? After many months of procrastination it’s finally finished!

I think it may become baby’s first playmat. What with all those colors and patterns, I don’t think you’ll ever see a stain!

I went back and forth on a backing, but ultimately settled on this great gray and white polka dot (Michael Miller Quarter Dot). I love the gray, and I think it lends a bit of calm to an otherwise crazy quilt.

I initially started quilting it with a loopy meander, but it was looking wrong, so I ripped it out and went for a favorite – random straight line quilting. I think it goes with the starburst look. I used an aqua solid for binding, and ta da… ready for the baby!

To be honest, I’d love it as a throw for the couch, but I couldn’t force myself to make any more of those starburst blocks! If you want to try this block out, I have a tutorial posted here.

This entry was posted in 2010 Finished Quilts, baby, Finished Quilts, Posts about Quilts, Quilts, [search] Liberated Quilts and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

40 Responses to a finished starburst quilt

traceyjay says:

I really, really LOVE this block and quilt. Thanks for the tutorial… I need to get up the courage to make some!

And I can say, as the mama of a 19 month old… the baby will love it and stare and stare.

(And I see you can still see your feet!) ;)

Pam says:

Love it!!!

I’ve been eyeing up this tutorial for a few months now and this might just put me over the edge to try it. I love the string quilt tute and how easily and mindlessly I can throw together the blocks. Is the starbust equally *mindless* or do I have to pay pretty close attention to it vs. putting the pedal to the metal while watching Private Practice…

• 5
      ashley says:

The string block is definitely better for mindless sewing. I made this block without paper piecing, so you have to pay more attention to the size of your scraps. Also, it takes a little more work to get the fabrics to come together in a point (I think this is why I only managed a small quilt!)

That being said, there are other ways to put this type of block together. I’ve seen it paper pieced in quarters, which may make it easier… (not sure, I only found out about that method after completing mine in this manner)

Natalie says:

wow, this is so fabulous!!! what a wonderful quilt. I just love the colors, and the grey polka dot is perfect for the back.

Emily S says:

Yay for baby sewing! I am so in love with these blocks – after seeing this I need to move it up on my to-do list!

Emily c says:

Your lucky little boy! This is the perfect playmat. I love the look of your starbursts so I started making a couple this week and boy are they more tedious and difficult than I thought! Good thing I’m only making 4 of them for a pillow. :) thanks for sharing tutorial.

Lisa Mason says:

What a lively quilt! Love the colors. I’m sure your little guy will love it.

I can also vouch for the fact that baby will ADORE this quilt :-) My 7mo old LOVES quilts and will stare, grab at, and chew on anything with bright colors! Well done!

Tanis says:

Absolutely gorgeous quilt! What a lucky baby!

andi says:

Such a fun little quilt.
    Gorgeous!!

Terri says:

What a perfect quilt for your baby’s playmat! I love that polka dot fabric you chose for the backing – perfect! The random quilting lines work so well with the starburst blocks, giving this great movement to the eye.

Yes, the grey and white polka dot is too perfect! Baby will love it so much.

I LOVE that as a backing. Perfect! I’m so happy for you to be sewing for your baby!!!

Kristin says:

I LOVE it. I must try this pattern out. :) Also that gray dot backing is soo lovely. Baby is super lucky. :)

Renee says:

This is truely a fantastic quilt, one to go on my to do list for sure, its definitely a great pattern to use bright colours as you have too.

Kate says:

Fantastic quilt – love the random straight line quilting.

nanann says:

I really really LOVE this quilt! It is just so very happy!

Linda says:

So cute! Bright colors when you want him to stay awake and be alert (those first few weeks when they have night and day mixed up), and the soothing grey and white for when you want him to be drowsy and nod off! 8-) Are you working on names yet? Is he going to be Morgan Jr?

I really adore everything about this quilt, as I am sure baby will too. and baby will defiantly get a lot of color stimulation while playing!

Suzanne says:

I can really appreciate the straight lines. I’m about to grab my seam ripper and get back to those lines myself. The baby will love the colors just as much as we all do.

jeannette says:

I love the aqua & grey dots! It makes all the fabrics pop…beautiful!

erica says:

I love it! The straight line quilting was a great choice…such a fun quilt :)

23. Pingback: Fun Quilty Finds / Quilting Gallery

WendyLou says:

Oh, stink!! I LoVe this quilt!!!

25. Pingback: What is a “Fabric Collection”? — Whipstitch

Cristin H says:

I love your quilt; it’s so fun and beautiful!!

Elly says:

The grey is just perfect for the back. This is lovely!

diane says:

This will make a great play mat! Not to be gross, but the busy pattern will forgive any unidentified stains that come with the little ones.

darlene says:

ashley … your quilt is gorgeous … i love the fmf, it’s so colorful … and your quilting is wonderful … i have a question: when you straight-line quilted the quilt, do you begin in the middle of the quilt and work out from there? or do you proceed like stipple quilting, beginning at the edge? i’m just getting started quilting and wondered how you do this?

thanks so much ….. darlene

I can tell this baby is going to be swaddled/blanketed in quilted, gorgeous goodness at all times. I’m so happy for you guys Ashley!!

Meghan says:

It looks so great, Ashley! Perfect for a playmat.

I really love all the wild and crazy colors in this quilt. Makes me smile just taking it all in. Wonderful!

This is so amazing!!! I made a Scrappy nap pillow with the same starburst design from Handmade Beginnings. This quilt would go great with it!

Maureen Grenier says:

Thankyou soooooo much for sharing this with us. I love it!!!!!!

36. Pingback: Some thoughts on quilting | The Village Haberdashery