a flea market fancy quilt for me!

I’m sure I don’t have to tell you how much I love this one.

fmf-quilt2

It took me so long to commit to actually using up so much of my Flea Market Fancy stash, and I mentioned last time that I was still cringing when I looked at all that fabric in one quilt, but now that it’s done, I’m so happy that I went ahead with it.

fmf-quilt1

I used all my favorite FMF prints in this simple design. I wanted to see larger sections of each print, and this design worked well for that. Plus, it’s quick and easy to put together — so easy that it’s possible to end up with a much larger quilt than you originally intended…

I didn’t set out to make it this large, but really, is a quilt ever too big? This one measures about 64″ x 78″, so a very generous throw for the couch. You can kind of tell how big it is from the photo below, where Morgan is wrestling with it – trying to hold it up without dragging it on the ground.

fmf-quilt

The back is mainly an aqua solid, which I’m obviously quite fond of — I used it on the back of this quilt, and I have plans to use it on the back of this one as well.

fmf-quilt-back

I added in a strip of the FMF scraps, and then several small blocks at the bottom.

fmf-quilt-back-squares

They make me smile. And lately I’ve been including a few in each quilt I make. Kind of fun, I think. The quilting is once again straight lines on the diagonal, with a double stitch line on every other diagonal.

What you can’t tell from these photos is that despite the sun, it was only about 10 degrees out. I owe Morgan big time for traipsing around in the snow and patiently waiting while I got the shots I wanted.

I did let him use the quilt later on though, so that’s gotta count for something, right?

fmf-quilt-on-couch

This entry was posted in 2010 Finished Quilts, Finished Quilts, Posts about Quilts, Quilts, [search] Charm Quilts and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

51 Responses to a flea market fancy quilt for me!

Anya says:

Love it! And no, it’s not too big. My husband says that throws should always be big enough for two people to snuggle under!

Kelly says:

oooooh aaaaaah, I’m drooling over all that gorgeous flea market fancy, what a spectacular quilt! I think you should insure it for a squillion dollars with all that priceless FMF fabric in it. Think how much more you can enjoy it now that you’ve cut into it and made it into your very own quilt. Love it! :-)

EricaB. says:

I love it as well! Question for you – how/where do you lay out your quilt to do the backing and batting? I like making twin+ size quilts, but even when I tape the backing down to the living room rug (my largest open space), the tape comes up and I can’t keep the backing smooth. Any advice? I have hardwood in the dining room, but nowhere to put the dining room table to make space.

marty says:

Ashley, I really like this quilt. I love the variety. It reminds me of a time when quilts weren’t art but function. That’s how quilts began, scraps pieced together to keep the family warm. I don’t know if you have ever spoken of it before but tell me about the stripped wall back drop in your photos. Very interesting.
    Stay warm, sorry it’s going to be in the high 70s today in CA

That is beautiful and all your own. YAY! You’d think with all the bloggy love with this fabric line, they’d re-issue it. I can see why. It’s so cute!

Enjoy that (I know you will)… HUGS!

Sophia says:

LOVE this one Ashley!!! Yes, I too wish they would re-issue this line, I don’t think I will ever tire of it! Love the back too!!!

Rebecca says:

Absolutely gorgeous!

Nichole says:

kudos to husbands who are such troopers with the quilt photos! i know my husband deserves an award and it definitely seems like morgan does as well! those quilts are tiring to hold after awhile!

on a separate note, what lens do you do most of your quilt photography with? your photos are always so well done.

Whitney says:

Love, love, LOVE! (Even if it does mean that mine is no longer a unique design.) Besides, I guess we’ve already decided that it’s okay for sisters to have matching things.

erin says:

so pretty!!! those colors are a must have for the winter… and it looks so cheery against your white couch… and perfect with your string pillows!! so glad you took the plunge.

Sarah says:

It looks uber comfy and plus, really pretty. Can’t go wrong with those two things

jaybird says:

beautiful quilt… so worth digging into that great stash!

Audrie says:

Absolutely stunning! Kudos to you for cutting into your FMF!! Our poor husbands, always given the job of quilt holder uppers.

beth lehman says:

Give me a break!!! It is too beautiful!! Now that you have it all in one place you can surround yourself with it!

Kim says:

Gorgeous. I especially like the shots of Morgan!

Kristin says:

Oh it is so gorgeous. I just LOVE the Flea Market Fancy, and it looks stunning all in one Quilt.

Megan says:

Ashley it is a masterpiece! And your photos are beautiful. I am still lazily binding mine – which, by the way, I used the same fabric!

Patty says:

I love your quilt. Where do you find the fabric and the goldfish fabric?

kathleen says:

so fun and cheery! What is the color and fabric on the back ? It is just divine with the cute fabrics.

kathleen says:

oops…I went back and re-read. Amy Butler Aqua – lovely!

Valerie says:

Help! The green-eyed monster of jealousy has overtaken me! ;) This is definitely my favorite of your quilts.

Donna says:

Lovely lovely. I just can’t believe your stash was so plentiful as to make a whole quilt. I have nothing but scraps and could MAYBE make a potholder ! Nice work, and good for you for being brave!

Meg in CT says:

Absolutely drool-worthy, Ashley. I hope Morgan knows just how lucky he is! Sharing your FMF baby with him? THAT is real love. :D

love the pic with your hubs holding it up, you can see his mittens/gloves :) very nice throw!

Gorgeous. FMF absolutely NEEDS to be reissued. The back is fabulous!

Kanina says:

It was so great to come back from a month of traveling to 4 pages of Film in the Fridge :-)

Dragonfly says:

Wow! It’s stunning. You are brave cutting into your FMF. I’m not sure I can bring myself to do it!
    BTW, I’m making a ‘modified bento box’ as per your tutorial – it’s great, thank you!

atia says:

Lovely as usual, how are you this quick??

Fantastic — as usual! I was walking past a friend’s desk at work and she had a quilt up on her computer monitor (on Google Reader). I glanced at it and said, “Oh, that’s Film in the Fridge”. She quickly scrolled back up the page and couldn’t believe that I was right. I said, “I’d know one of her quilts anywhere.”

Diane says:

My goodness! This is lovely!

Jane Swanson says:

S*T*U*N*N*I*N*G.

SO BEAUTIFUL!!

Crystal says:

Very Beautiful! And a just reward!

Darcy says:

Most. Beautiful. Quilt. EVER!!!!!

whatupduck says:

Absolutely beautiful! I sure admire your quilts!

Andi says:

So glad you’re keeping this one.
    It’s too special to give away or sell (although I’m sure there would be PLENTY of buyers).
    Love the little bits of fabric in the backing too.
    Andi :-)

jenny w. says:

Absolutely lovely! I am so inspired by your quilts and I will have to make one like this for myself after the long list I have to make for others. You may or may not remember that I attempted to make one like a striped one of yours for my daughter and her new husband. I’ll just say that I was inept at that and it didn’t turn out as planned, though it should have. I didn’t know I needed to cut on the opposite grain. Dumb, I know. It had been a long time since I had quilted. Anyway, I had to recut the whole thing and came up with a totally different looking quilt, but she loves it and I am glad it is finished.

The front is fun but the back to me is marvellous! what an inspiration and I am going to try that this year. Love it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Tracy says:

Lucky guy, this is one beautiful quilt!

Simply awesome!! Do you rent it out or can I come and curl up in it some time?

monaluna says:

Wow – gorgeous! I think the back is even better than the front – I love the proportions and balance.

Jennifer says:

Love these fabrics!

Jennifer

Melissa L. says:

Its wonderful!!! I just love how it came out, and I’m SO glad you’re KEEPING this one! So nice, Ashley!

marit says:

So pretty, Ashley! And I love how your two pillows makes perfect company for the quilt!
    Inquiring minds want to know – what kind of batting did you use in this quilt? Do you have a favorite?

emily says:

I really love this one! The fabrics are to die for.

Kyla says:

It’s sooo cute! i love the colors and the fabric. That has to be one of my favorite collections. The fabrics are soo unique and pretty! The colors are AMAZING!

Tammy says:

This is beautiful, I adore all these colors.