in progress.

I don’t have much to show today, since I seem to have fallen back into a bad habit of starting new projects before finishing the last. I’ll show you what’s in the works though -

I’ve been working on a scrappy quilt, again inspired by another quilt back. My scraps are once again out of control and I had hoped this would help, but so far I haven’t noticed it really making a dent. (is it possible that they multiply at night?)

scrap-quilt

And then, since I kept seeing such lovely half hexagon quilts, I had to get in on the fun. This one will be a baby quilt, with hexagons made out of Far Far Away fabrics.

ffa-hex-quilt

I also have the second abstract quilt ready to be quilted, but before I can do so I have to figure out how to use my new machine…

grandquilter

The name alone intimidates me. The GrandQuilter. I don’t think I really need anything so grand. Maybe they could have just called it the Quilter.

In any case, I have a manual to read. And then I should probably start practicing. Apparently it’s capable of 1600 stitches a minute, which just makes me fear for my fingers. I’m nothing if not clumsy… case in point? Just this morning I managed to dump my morning coffee right down the front of my shirt… not the outside mind you, but right down under my shirt – between my shirt and skin. Lovely! (luckily I like it with A LOT of milk, so it was only warm, not scalding!)

Anyway, hope the weather’s great where you are, and I hope everyone has a great 4th of July!

This entry was posted in Household Sewing - bags, napkins, pillows, Posts about Quilts and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

29 Responses to in progress.

Whitney says:

You? Clumsy? Hmm…I think it’s coffee related only. I was so sure that I got the no-sense-of-spacial-relations gene. Anyway, I think both of your new quilts look great! Can’t wait to see more, especially those baby hexagons.

And I’d be happy to wite-out the “Grand” for you, if that would help…

Sandi says:

The Pfaff GrandQuilter, Viking MegaQuilter and Janome 1600P are all (essentially) the same machine. I have the Janome 1600P, and I love it. You’ll work things out in no time. I have mine on a Little Gracie II frame, and I am amazed at how fast I can finish a quilt.

jaybird says:

new machine!! fun but scary… i still learn new things about my machine every day!! i like your WIPs.. and we all start things before we finish!.. so don’t feel bad!

Hey Ashley!
    I’m glad you had courage for a new machine….I’ve been trying to do research to buy a quilter, so if you could tell me your oppinion about yours when you can I’d be glad!! I couldn’t believe when you said you don’t sew for that long, because you’ve got an amazing hand!! See yah!

Wendy says:

I want some of that far far away so bad it hurts! Been trying to think of what pattern I would use if some should, ahem, show up one day, the hexagon is the best idea I’ve seen yet!
    Congrats on the new addition to you sewing room, she is beautiful!

You never cease to amaze me…with your creativity and output. Geez, I feel like such a slug….

Great idea with the hexagons, and such a cool thing that you don’t have to set them in. Love it! I haven’t cut into my far far away yet…maybe this weekend.

Maggie says:

I loved my Grand Quilter. We just upgraded to an 18″ Tin Lizzy. I think you’ll enjoy finishing quilts much faster. You can always adjust the stitch speed down to a point where you are comfortable.

angie says:

I sewed through my finger at the beginning of the year. It kind of freaked me out, but bled very little. Not that I suggest it.

Collette says:

I’m glad the coffee incident was merely annoying, not dangerous! Yikes!

Your new machine looks lovely as do those quilts. The hexagons are great.

Heather says:

i’m also petrified of sewing through my fingers…

love love the way you did the hexagons! i always love your work though, so it’s no surprise!

Sara says:

Ahh, a new sewing machine. I wonder what’s it like to get something new? I have a hand-me-down machine that’s cheaper than cheap, but at least it works.
    Good luck on finishing up your WIPs.

I sound like a broken record . . . but I LOVE LOVE LOVE this – can you please make a real dog sometime soon . . SERIOUSLY you are oozing with talent and thanks so much for sharing!

Laura says:

I’m happy that you didn’t get burned by your coffee! That could have been very painful. Congrats on a new machine, I’m jealous! And I think you’re right, scraps must multiply by themselves overnight–its the only plausible explanation!

tracy_a says:

Your work is wonderful! Great color sense. I like all the white you use in your quilts – just curious what fabric it is and do you order in bulk so you always have enough for projects handy?

kerri says:

I love your works in progress, especially the hexie one!! Can’t wait to see more of them!!

Congradulations on getting a new machine!! How exciting!! I’m sure you will learn fast. :) And, I also can’t imagine you being clumsy. It must have been the coffees fault!! ;)

i love your work, though i haven’t the faintest first idea about how to quilt, your work captures me and makes me think, hmmm…maybe i should give it a go.
    short of that, however, i am trying to figure out where i might buy one of your quilts?

bekhy says:

oooh….congratulations on the new machine! Would love to see a blog post on how you decided on this machine. I have a Juki now, and can’t decide between the GrandQuilter and the Janome 6600.

Leigh says:

ooooh! I love the scrap one on top. So lovely. Maybe I could do something with my multiplying scraps . . . or any of my fabric, because it is all multiplying!

Dani says:

Hi Ashley,

This is totally the wrong place to put this, but I didn’t know how else to ask! I’ve been looking for your mods to Heather Ross’ Summer Blouse, but I can’t find them anywhere on her website; it looks like the whole page for Tips & FAQs is gone! Am I going crazy? Do you know anything about this? If they are indeed gone from the website, do you think you could re-post them here? Thanks, and sorry again for this out-of-place comment!

Take care, Dani :)

Amber says:

Oh – fun! A new machine! The quilts looks great – as always! Love the far, far away one!

Kyla says:

great to hear that you got the new machine you were talking about. I love both the quilts!!! <3 The hexagon pattern is such a great idea. Love the fabric that you used for the pattern too. I also never knew that you were clumsy.

Annika says:

I´ve lost track of how many projects I have ongoing at the same time :) Most of the time I don´t think about it, but sometimes it makes me stressed. Maybe I will get some finished this summer. I love your scrap-project. And congratz to your new sewingmashine.

Stacey says:

GrandQuilter kind of makes you want it more than if it were just *Quilter* – you will do crazy Grand things, I am certain!

Laila says:

Your quilts are so unique! I covet your quilts, I’m hoping that once my 9 WIP’s are done I can start something knew using yours as inspiration.

Holy Moly! I just found you through flickr and I am so inspired! Do you sell your projects? I was looking for an etsy link or a store. My daughter loves your far, far away quilt!
    Hugs from Morocco!
    Tina (aka Travelingmama)

carolyn says:

I have a Grand QUilter and I absolutely love it!!! Have fun!

amandajean says:

my comment just got eaten. :( i guess i’ll have to try again.

the grand quilter looks like fun! please please don’t sew through your finger. owiee! not to mention that it would make an awful mess on your white fabric. hee hee. i love your hex quilt. i hear that one calling my name, too. (i’m surprised i can hear it, with the other 50 quilts that are clamoring for my attention!!!)

Elizabeth says:

Ooooh! I’m looking at getting a Janome 1600p (as menitoned above, it’s a similar machine) this weekend. Congratulations on your new machine. I’ll be interested to see how it works out for you.