yard sale find and the start of quilt #2

I do love yard sales! And now that they’re starting up around here again, that’s where you’ll find me every Saturday morning… I’m never looking for anything specific, and to be perfectly honest, we don’t really have room for any more yard sale finds, but I just can’t help myself! I love vintage items, and have a soft spot in my heart for old, (usually broken!) wooden furniture.

The find for this week fell into the vintage category… in the form of this lovely old Singer. I really don’t know much about older sewing machines, but I love the look of the older ones and I just couldn’t pass it up.

singer

What’s kind of interesting about this one is that the finish is a matte black, rather than the typical smooth & shiny finish. I kind of like it.

singer2

Anyway, I need to do a bit of oiling, and maybe some research on it, and then I think it may become my ‘upstairs machine’. (you know, for those times when I really need to sew something but am too lazy to head downstairs!)

Thanks for all the great comments on the modified bento box quilt! I haven’t made any more progress on it, but I did start a few blocks for the next quilt – didn’t I tell you there’d be a second in these same colors?!

quilt2

I think it will be fun to see them side by side!

This entry was posted in Quilt Blocks and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

26 Responses to yard sale find and the start of quilt #2

Lauren says:

What a great find! Makes me wish I got up early enough to hit yard sales. I have found a couple of older machines in thrift stores lately though, and they’re so pretty (and usually cheap) that I can’t resist having them!

Sarah Kubinski says:

Have you seen this site? It looks like it talks about the machine you have and if it does, it looks like it is pretty valuable! http://www.antiqbuyer.com/featherweights.html

Ann-Elise says:

Ashley, you might consider taking that beautiful machine to Smitty’s at 5 Corners. Bob, who works there with his wife, is incredible. He could make it run like new!

Digs says:

Lovely machine. You probably know this already, but you can go to the Singer site and search by serial number to see how old the machine is. A bit of fun sleuthing!

Carrie says:

I sew with a Singer machine that is probably just a few years newer than yours (like 1960). I love the sturdiness of it! You can find the manuals for all the old machines via Singer’s website.

ariel says:

I’m loving this machine! It’s so pretty!

Jenny says:

Oh my gosh – you hit the jackpot with this one! All the bright fabrics you use will look so pretty next to the dark machine while you’re sewing. Is that a weird thing to think about? :) Have fun researching!

Sophia says:

What a great sewing machine Ashley!!! I would definetly take it to get a tune-up before you start using it. I have my Great Grandmother’s sewing machine. I did some sleuthing a couple of months ago, and found out that it was made from 1949-1959! I bet yours is older than that! And like Carrie said, you can find the manual on Singer’s website! Have fun, oh, and love the new quilt squares!!!

Terri says:

What a great find on your yard sale adventures! It looks like a great vintage. I learned to sew on my mom’s shiny green sewing machine that is mounted into it’s own sewing table. After 60+ years, it still sews perfectly.

carrie says:

Oh, I LOVE the look of that machine. What a great find!

Jennifer says:

I have the exact same machine!!! I have no idea if it works but isn’t it beautiful?? I LOVE LOVE LOVE the filigree on the side by the needle. (does that have a name?) I just have mine displayed in the living room and soon will add a faux project to place under the needle. Nice find!! Here’s a pic or two of mine: http://calicoroad.blogspot.com/2009/01/after-christmas.html
    BTW, the quilt looks great too! :)

Misty says:

Congrats on your new machine! You might want to check out the Yahoo groups for Singer machines. There is an antique Singer group and a Featherweight group. I am sure someone in one of those groups could be very helpful in helping you identify your machine.

claudia says:

What a nice find! You’ll love how it sews. It seems to hum while you sew. The matte color is so cool. I Googled the numbers I found on mine and found some basic info about it–I have a 201 and found out it’s a 1948 model. Happy sewing!

Erica says:

Wow!!! I love the colors!

staci says:

What a fantastic find!! I never find anything nearly that awesome at yard sales – but I still keep going to them hoping to hit the jackpot someday! ;)

Cheryl says:

Those old Singer machnes are great! I have a featherweight, I love it! Have fun with it!

imxlds says:

I have 3 vintage machines, 1 treadle, and a singer 99K that both work, and the third one I am in the process of making into a lamp

brooke says:

hi! i love checking in on your blog from time to time– it is so inspirational! you do amazing work, and i am always always excited to see what you’ve come up with!

i am having a fabric swap over at my blog, if you are interested :)

take care

brooke

carol ann says:

As far as I know you can go on a singer site with the registered # on the machine, it should tell you how old it is…I remember looking up an old machine this way years ago.
    I have my mothers feather lite that she bought in the 40′s…it is the one I was taught to sew on as a little girl…it has helped me sew many quilts in the past 15 years…it goes through at least 6 layers of fabric if I ask it to…enjoy your new find, the old Singers are fab…
    Regards, Carol Ann

Kayla says:

I think old machines are so neat too. I think they connect us to our quilting heritage. Hopefully someday I will have room for one.

Deb C. says:

OMG Ashley,
    I happened to come across a machine just like yours on e-bay selling for $600 today. It was only produced two different years during the war when the metal was not available (that they normally would have used for these machines.) These machines are EXTREMELY collectible & valuable. Great find!! PS Are you going to VQF this weekend? I’m there & volunteering but not taking classes this year. http://home.roadrunner.com/~featherweight/crinkle.htm

=Tamar says:

That’s not a Featherweight; it doesn’t have the flip-up end plate, for one thing. However, the crinkle finish does mark it as being probably 1930s-1940s. It’s still a good machine and should last forever. The decoration on the edge of the faceplate looks like one of the grape leaf versions.

Sara says:

Hi there, I happened upon your page doing a google image search for vintage singers…I have this machine in a closet somewhere and have een trying to find the model and any info on it available (not going well as im simply looking for pictures that match it and going from there) This is the machine, and you’re the first person I’ve come across that has it. Can you tell me anything about it – model number, value, anything at all would be greatly appreciated!!! My e-mail is sarabliss@hotmail.com

thank you so much!

24. Pingback: want to win a featherweight? – Film in the Fridge

Nancy says:

Are you aware of Quilting Board.com? They have a whole section on vintage machines where you can get your questions answered, find parts, etc. N