a giant echino log cabin quilt

I finished another one I’d been neglecting… thanks to Jacquie for motivation in the form of Spring to Finish!

echino-front2

The fabrics in this one are all Etsuko Furuya – many different pieces I’ve been collecting here and there – and the idea for the giant log cabin was Morgan’s (and he was right – I think it turned out great!). I wanted to keep my favorite piece intact – the bird on a ball in the ivory color – so this became the center of the log cabin. I started from the center and worked out, adding on strips of various widths, and piecing in a few other smaller pieces.

We took it out the other day for some photos and came across this field of chives which were all in bloom. I think it might have been someone’s backyard, so I suppose that means I was probably trespassing…

chives2

chives

Cool though, right? Oh, wait… you wanted to see pictures of quilts, not chives? Ok, ok…

I planned on quilting it with a spiral square out from the center, but then ultimately decided to just stipple it. I think I would have liked the spiral square, but I had a strong suspicion that I would have spent some time with the seam ripper first! (just a hunch!)

echino-front1

For the back, I used this great Robert Kaufman Linen/Cotton blend in the color flax. It matches quite well with the natural color used in many of the echino prints. I added in this strip of log cabin blocks…

echinoback

and a nice stripey binding to complete it all!

echino-back

Oh, and it measures about 50″ x 65″

This entry was posted in 2009 Finished Quilts, Finished Quilts, Household Sewing - bags, napkins, pillows, Posts about Quilts, Quilts, [search] Wonky/Improv Quilts and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

52 Responses to a giant echino log cabin quilt

erin vega says:

i LOVE this! so, so interesting to look at. i really must do a big log cabin quilt now. thank you for your contant inspiration!

Christine says:

It is GIANT! My brain keeps making it smaller because I’ve never seen a log cabin block this big! Very beautiful

barbara says:

As usual, amazing! The talent you have my dear, is simply, envious!

~Michelle~ says:

So great! And I bet those Echino fabrics just feel so nice, with some weight that breathes so nicely!

Amber says:

I love this quilt – it’s just beautiful! This would be fun to do with a bunch of Heather Ross prints too!

Sara says:

I was waiting for this one in particular to get finished! It’s wonderful!!

julie says:

the quilt is beautiful. about what size did it finish?

katie says:

i love this one. what a great idea. those chives are beautiful too.

amanda says:

it’s pretty! somehow if I see echino fabrics in person, I couldn’t imagine it being a quilt. I always made bags from them and I framed one recently as a fabric art. thanks for the inspiration!

Shelly says:

This is a very cute, and more importantly an interesting piece. Nice work. Well done!

k-ron says:

i love this one too. it is BEAUTIFUL! nice work.

anina says:

Beautiful! And, wow, who has that much chives in their garden?

Sophia says:

Love it! I never though of doing one giant log cabin block, great idea Morgan! Love the fabrics!

V says:

that’s fun! a good thing ot do with the furuya fabrics, I have a stack of fats of those, and have never figured out what to do with them…

Hillary says:

How pretty great fabric & great job!

Jennifer Davis says:

I have been lurking a while, and am poking my head out to tell you that you have an absolute gift for design and composition – it is amazing to see your output — How do you get so much done??? However you do it, keep putting it up – you are inspirational!

Amazing. I have a large one log cabin baby blanket going, which I am loving . . . but your latest creation is just- WOW. It is lust, exciting first love, so excited you have a pit in your stomach until you talk to the person kind of LOVE, all wrapped into one. I want to wrap this quilt around me and never take it off! Just when I think you can’t possibly do anything more amazing that the current post . . . then you do. Thanks for the inspiration!

Rachel says:

Holy cow, I love this one! Now I have to get me some of those prints…

Cristin says:

Gorgeous!!! I love the Echino prints but I’m a tight wad and haven’t paid up for them yet :-) I adore modern prints and just may have to “invest” in some now! Well done!

Tonya says:

This is gorgeous! I love the idea of one big log cabin block around a very special print. I don’t know how you keep doing it, but each one of your quilts is unique and completely different then the last.

jennifer says:

Who knew one big ol’ log cabin square could become such a beautiful quilt! I love that your husband is involved in your quilting like mine, he’s so good at it!

andi says:

What a fabulous concept.
    Love it. So bright and colourful.
    Andi :-)

Juice says:

I’m delurking to tell you how much I love your pieces. I espeically love the surprise on the backs of the quilts – so gorgeous, thoughtful and unexpected! You make me want to quilt!

Suzanne Jackman says:

I just found your site, I love it!!! Your are incredibly talented. I love your style, very clean and enjoyable to look at. You have inspired me and have got excited to start a new quilt. Love you site name. My husband loves doing photography and we currently have film in our fridge. I showed him your site and the first thing he said was you had a very artistic eye. Can’t wait to see your next project :)

Kate says:

Gorgeous use of colour and the giant log works SO well with this line of fabric.

amanda says:

SO AWESOME!! Echino makes me drool, though I have yet to actually spring for any. What an inventive design — I love it.

amandajean says:

it’s wonderful! how big is it? i love the strip of log cabin blocks on the back.

Terri says:

Cool quilt! I have seen that large log cabin block in the American Patchwork magazine – looks like fun to make. And those flowers are gorgeous too! I didn’t know chives flowered like that.

It looks so romantic hanging in the field of chives – hope it doesn’t smell of onions now! The colours are beautiful and I love the way the binding has become part of the overall design, rather than something that just ‘finishes it off’ – if you see what I mean!

Alexis says:

It’s absolutely fab! I love it. I’m very jealous of all those Echino prints you collected!

Amy says:

Many of those fabrics are among my favorites but I never really know what to do with them. I don’t want to cut into them! This is a great solution and yours is beautiful. This is a close second for my favorite quilt of yours. And the chives are awesome. No need to apologize for lovely photos – ever!

Carolyn cdn says:

You’ve given me a new perspective on the Log Cabin. This is amazing and yet so simple…I love it. The back is so cool! You rocked it…BIG TIME!!

Angie says:

Seeing your latest awesome creation has motivated me to write! I love your fresh, simple, whimsical approach and that fact that you photograph your beautiful quilts with chives and cows makes them even more special! Thanks for keeping so many of us inspired!

Kristin says:

I’ve just started reading your blog and really love your fresh and modern quilts. Just curious, what kind of batting do you use? I’m a fan of Quilter’s Dream Request Cotton. Since you make so many quilts do you buy batting by the roll?

Carol Ann says:

Dear Ashley,
    Comment: WOW, love all of your quilts…they are amazing!!!
    Question: the quilting over the quilts, do you have a machine to do the quilting? Do you send it out to someone with a machine to do it for you? Or do you do it with a sewing machine free hand? I would love to understand that part of quilting hope you do not mine me asking…Thank you so much, Carol Ann

Kellie Eldridge says:

Wow, so fun looking. You did a great job and have paired the fabrics beautifully. Love the lil cabins on the back also!

jacquie says:

totally fabulous. love a reversible quilt!

Megan says:

I heart this quilt so much!

cynthia says:

just so great! so whose bed will it adorn?

Em says:

how long have you been quilting anyhow ? just curious, you look about the same age as me..
    your free motion quilting looks great !
    this quilt is one of my favs of yours.. I’m totally making one and Echino fabric is sooo wonderful- wish i could afford to buy it all :P

willy-nilly says:

Man are you productive!

I’ll have to check out that linen blend for the back of my current quilt. Is it as white as it looks in the photo, or somewhat natural?

I love the large log cabin.

Anita says:

Ditto on all the comments. what a great idea to use all those prints one just can’t bear to cut up. you are an amazing font of ideas. you go girl. I’ve been away from quilting too long–your site is making me sit at my machine again. thank you.

47. Pingback: Modern Quilts - i heart echino… and patchwork – Film In The Fridge

48. Pingback: 2009 was a good year – Film in the Fridge

50. Pingback: FITF: linen napkins | Film in the Fridge

Shelia says:

Just found your site and look forward to making one of these giant log cabin quilts. Thanks for the idea and I love the chives field.

Jodi says:

Hi I just found your blog a few days ago. Your quilts are inspiring. I’m a love of the modern take on quilts and your strip quilts really caught my eye. I’m making one for my friend’s new baby boy…We’ll see how it goes.
    Thanks!!