Patchwork squares… I have a new favorite!

I think I must say that I love each quilt I make, but this one has to top the list, at least for now. I love it. love it. I can’t even tell you why, though I think it mostly has to do with the fact that it uses so many of my absolute favorite fabrics.

patchwork-squares

I also really like this pattern, which came about when I wanted to make a quilt and didn’t have enough pre-cut charm squares. The original quilt I made using this pattern is still one of my favorites as well, but even as I was making that one, I was picturing it this way – made with patchwork borders and lots of white.

patchwork-2

My favorite part? Quite possibly the binding. I don’t typically spend too much time on the binding, but this time I did a little extra for this one. I opted for a solid dark gray fabric, but then added in a few sections of patchwork scraps, placed so they’d end up in the white sections. It was worth the extra effort – I just love the little bits of extra color along the binding, especially as seen from the back.

binding1binding2

Speaking of, I opted for a simple back on this one – just one large section of one of my favorite flea market fancy prints. (I didn’t want to use up too much of it though, so I went with the white borders). As I mentioned earlier, there’s a picture of this fabric used as a backing on the cover of the Material Obsession book and I just loved it.

backing

Next up – the bright string quilt from a couple weeks ago. That one just might top this one… we’ll see!

This entry was posted in 2009 Finished Quilts, Finished Quilts, Household Sewing - bags, napkins, pillows, Posts about Quilts, Quilts, [search] Other Quilts and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

37 Responses to Patchwork squares… I have a new favorite!

Shannon says:

I have recently discovered your blog and love it:)

This quilt is beautiful. The backing makes this almost 2 quilts in one. I do have one question….how do you get so much work done? Its amazing!

Darci says:

It really is one of my favorite quilts too!!! It is gorgeous and will eventually get on my list of quilts to make.

Alissa says:

Man you are crankin’ them out!! All beautiful! And you’re right about that binding – amazing.

Rachel says:

wow, this one IS amazing! wonderful work and I love your idea with the binding.

Jen Eskridge says:

That’s a great quilt! I love that it is not based on squares. Wonderful white space & using up scraps. Its a great combo.

Michaela says:

Absolutely stunning. I love it too!

Amber says:

It’s absolutely beautiful!! And I can’t wait to see the string quilt – it just looks amazing!

Kristen says:

You are out of control!!! So much quilting!! I love it!!!!!

Doris says:

I love this one, too! Very clever binding…

alexis says:

this is so gorgeous, i’m totally inspired to make something similar! i love your work :)
    -alexis

Emily says:

Fantastic quilt! I love the multi-colours against all of that white, it looks great. The binding is great – i don’t know how you can make so many quilts and still pay attention to such details!! I am impressed.

Kate Dixon says:

I love this quilt and amnow going to do two! One for my daughter with all my pinkish scraps and one for my son using all my bluish scraps! Thanks so much!!

Jackie says:

What a beautiful quilt! Very clever!

Mal* says:

Boy. That binding is really something else. I love the dark grey on its own, even — especially with the bright patchwork. Did it take you forever to figure out how to line up the binding just right?

ericae says:

lovely. first time i saw this on your blog i immediately thought of denyse schmidt’s Single Girl quilt http://www.dsquilts.com/fabric_and_patterns.asp?PageID=83. just lovely.

katie says:

love it! the back is to die for!

Casey says:

I absolutely LOVE this quilt! the binding is amazing also :)

Mam says:

Love the quilt! I’ve added it to my list of quilts to make. I’ve been looking for a way to incorporate blocks that my Mom and I completed, not enough for a bed size quilt. Thanks to your idea, I plan to place the blocks on the back. Two quilts in one, how cool is that!

jenny says:

Gosh! You’re so inspiring! Here you are just FLYING through quilts (or so it seems like it to me!) and I can’t even finish my first one! You suppose it might have something to do with me having 4 little ones hanging around my house? hmm.. probably. :o)

Anyway, love this latest quilt and can’t wait to see the finished string quilt.

Debra says:

I agree! I absolutely love this as well!

jacquie says:

fab u lous!!! i love this so much. so simple, but chic and hip. great job!!

Lisa says:

Ashley, I just discovered your blog (via your flickr photos) and I think you have such a fabulous eye for color and design. Your use of white is amazing too. Nice job!

beki says:

Ooo, I’m in love with this!!

Cristin says:

Gorgeous! Seriously – you’re an inspiration :-) I’ll have to add this design to my to-do list of quilts ~ They’re piling up!

Well done my dear!
    Cristin

Jody says:

I love it! I think something similar will be in my future.

Kate Dixon says:

I recall seeing your measurements on the blocks for this quilt last week, I can’t seem to find them now though?!? Just wondering if you are making them available? Would love to do this quilt for my daughter. Thanks!

Kate Dixon says:

Thanks so much! I really appreciate it. As soon as it’s done I will send you the snaps…have a couple in the pipe line so may not finish it as quick as you can!! Thanks again.

Cheryl Arkison says:

Man, you’ve been churning out the quilts lately! I heart that binding.

Bekhy says:

What a lovely quilt; I absolutely love it too, and inspires me to make one like it! It looks really wonderful all quilted up and bound.

amandajean says:

this just might be my favorite quilt of yours so far! i love the bits of patchwork with all the white. it kind of reminds me of the single gal pattern by denyse schmidt except with rectangles rather than circles. the entire quilt is just fabulous. the binding is pure genius!

Heather says:

This is one of the greatest quilts I have ever seen! You are awesome! Thanks for the inspiration!! Do you have a tutorial for this type of quilt? What size is it?

Katie says:

This quilt completely inspired me. I am just finishing up a quilt that uses this pattern with the MoMo Wonderland line. I will share a pic with you when it’s finished :)

Thank you!!

Katie says:

Thanks for the inspiration! Here is a pic of the final quilt!

I love this quilt – it’s simple and it’s stunning (not to mention a good way for me to get rid of some scraps!). I’ve pinned it to my “Quilty Goodness” board on Pinterest (with proper credit, of course!). Feel free to follow me if you’d like: http://pinterest.com/lipglass/quilty-goodness/