pink tips

Happy New Year! I certainly didn’t expect to be here showing you a quilt top in these very early days of 2017. As much as I love sewing and quilting, I haven’t been able to find the time to sew as often as I’d like. Lately my sewing table is more a catch-all than a place to create new work. I finally decided to clean it off, and in so doing, found a pile of neutrals – a bunch of Robert Kaufman yarn dyed fabrics, a big piece of one of Carolyn Friendlander’s Euclid fabrics and a few other white/off white solids.

Thanks to school vacation and Morgan being around, I was able to start this quilt. I started this neutral log cabin block, which began with a piece of hand printed fabric from Lucie Summers. I wasn’t really sure where this was going, and considered a mini quilt/wall hanging, but really felt it should be large enough to be usable as a quilt. Even as I considered various placement options for this section I had already pieced, I kept on adding strips in a somewhat log cabinish fashion.

I was able to piece in a bunch of saved special neutrals – prints from Maze & Vale of course, plus some fun pieces from Spin Spin and even some long hoarded Yoshiko Jinzenji.

I often think that I’m going to limit myself to just solids, or in this case, just neutrals, but truth be told, I just can’t do it. Even here, not only could I not just limit myself to just solids, but I also couldn’t even stick to just neutrals. I made it very nearly all the way, but then felt it needed something to give it a little pop – some hot pink on linen, in this case! The x print at the top is one by Lucie Summers and the pieces in the lower corner are some I purchased ages ago from Jones & Vandermeer. I’m so pleased they’ve found their way into this quilt!

The pink may be a bit predictable, but really the hot pink on neutral linen was just begging to be used. Maybe some random color for the back? We shall see…

I hope 2017 is off to a good start for you!

This entry was posted in Fabric, Posts about Quilts and tagged , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

20 Responses to pink tips

Anne Chevalier says:

Modern, freestyle, inspiring – love this quilt!

You’re off to a great start for 2017!

sophie says:

this is gorgeous!! I love it so much and I think the pink is perfect. I am glad you find some sewing time and reclaimed the table for your machine:)

Peggy says:

Looks great – pink and grey just belong together.

Alice R. says:

Love this one – the pop of pink is fabulous!

Coastal gray says:

Yeah, can’t wait to see what you do with the back, and the quilting….
    Very intriguing!

I love it! It’s very carefree and natural feeling in the design. I guess “organic” might be a good work for it. Way to run with the moment!

Sara says:

This is really great! I love the pink too—

Tracy says:

I love it. I think the pink pops totally take it from ooh; very nice to FABulous! πŸ™‚

svetlana says:

Gorgeous!!!! I love absolutely EVERYTHING about this quilt top.

Linda says:

Boy, you’re a whirlwind when you get that table cleaned off! 😎 I chuckled when you said you found some “missing” fabric when you cleaned it off. I was looking all over the place for my container of crochet hooks a few days ago, and got desperate and cleaned up a pile, er, I mean stack, of fabric on top of my gate-leg table from IKEA, which is supposed to be my cutting table….HA! I was digging through all of it, and found several pieces that I had forgotten about. I guess that means I have too much fabric??? And, I found what I thought was a large scrap of cotton batting that I could use for the “Cookies for Santa” placemats I am close to finishing for my daughter and son-in-law for Christmas last month. It turns out it was a piece of heavy flannel. It was sitting here on my desk for two days before I realized what it really was. That’s what I get for turning 70, I guess….lol.

The kids all looked adorable on the post a few days ago. Max is so grown up, Hazel is adorable, and I can’t believe how big Henry is getting. Give them a hug for me.

xo Linda

Liz says:

Absolutely gorgeous! Love the pops of pink!

Mary Ann Hruska says:

You make me smile!

janequiltsslowly says:

I’m an “over-planner” and would have missed out on this spontaneous and absolutely wonderful quilt. Love the pink! Don’t worry about it being predictable because the result is so charming.

hydeeann says:

love it! and i’m so glad you couldn’t force yourself to stick to the plan. =) that bit of color added is what makes the quilt so fun and lovable.

Kat Scott says:

Love the freeform Log Cabin and the pink really makes you look…

Caitlin T says:

I love this so much, Ashley! The pops of pink are perfect!

Camilla says:

Catching up on some blog reading and love these two neutral (almost) quilts: the string quilt you framed and this fabulous one. Inspired to use some of my favourite special neutrals in this way too!