seagull feathers

whites

Someone told me that I’d want to make another feather quilt soon after finishing the first, and they were right! Anna Maria Horner’s free pattern is a good one, and comes together pretty quickly and easily (even though it requires cutting pieces using templates, which I usually shy away from!)

whites2

While I love the look of the feathers in bright bold colors, I thought it might also be fun to see them made out of a variety of white on white prints. I dug through my stash (and made a couple purchases!) and came up with this selection – whites, creams, some really light grays.

whites3

Then I cut out a couple feathers, just to make sure I’d actually like them. (I do!)

This entry was posted in Fabric, Posts about Quilts and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

27 Responses to seagull feathers

laurel says:

ooh – those are LOVELY! what background are you thinking? dark? high contrast? something somewhat low volume to make the whole thing lovely and muted? a mix of colors? i can’t wait to see what you do!!

Penny G says:

Love your concept and can’t wait to see what you do the background in.

Karen says:

Love those colors! What is the fabric with the french text?

Love this idea! I can’t wait to see how this project progresses .

dispack says:

I’m working on a low volume quilt right now….AND REALLY can’t decide whether or not to add sashing of color. I want to sash the blocks for sure, but just cannot decide! ah! Love those feathers.

Linda says:

oooooo, I like them, too! Can’t wait to see the finished top.

xo Linda

Kate Leepart says:

I’m looking forward to seeing this one, love the neutral goodness of it all!

Kristyn says:

OOOOOOhhhhh, I love the fabric and then when I saw the pieced feathers- I love it even more! What will the background fabric be? Can’t wait to see the next post!

Sarah says:

I LOVE this! I’m working on some l/v feathers too (in a smaller form) and never even thought to try out Anna Maria’s pattern… brilliant!

Sarah Helene says:

You’re off to a FAB start for your “feathers” quilt! Love the fabrics & colors. Anxious to see photos of it finished! GOOD LUCK to a talented quilter. Sarah Helene in Minneapolis

Pat S says:

I really like that. Seagull feathers – perfect name. :)

Lisa McGriff says:

Can’t wait to see this come together! LOVE IT!

Cristin says:

Love those whites/cremes/greys! I have yet to make a feather but I can see a feather pillow cover in my future! ;)

Anne says:

Ooooh so gorgeous!! I love the subtleness of these feathers. :) Have you thought about what your background is going to be? Are you going to keep the quill dark? Should I just shut up and wait and see what you do as I’m sure it will be gorgeous? Yes. Probably. LOL

Just the name of your blog post evokes so many images, and makes me anxious to come up with a cool color combo for this pattern.

Anne says:

What a great idea to make a soft feather. They are going to be lovely. Look forward to seeing them all come together.

Margaret says:

the feathers work so well in these low volume fabrics

Pennie says:

Ooh, really can’t wait to see how this version works out!

Ooooooh! I LOVE this! I thought I was in love with all those bright feathers I have been seeing, but I think this might be my favorite. Can’t wait to see it all done!

Tammy says:

Seagull feathers! I LOVE it! And I , also, can’t wait to see what you use as a background color (s)!

Carolaj says:

What a great treasure. I am sure that many quilters could not come up with that many “lights”. I think every quilt needs a light, but sometimes it is hard to find the right prints.

robin says:

You’re not going to believe this but I had this same idea! I generally stay with more saturated colors but trying to expand my palate. Of course I have only gotton so far as to add it to my ever growing MUST DO LIST! I really like your version and was so surprised to see your photos I just had to write and say thank you for sharing as it has forced me to move this MUST DO closer to the top of that list! :-)

Jen says:

Fabulous idea. I can’t wait to see it come together.

Teena says:

Seagull colour? I think they are awesome. Id not have thunk it! I cant wait to see what you do for background colour.

Dottie says:

Are you sure you are from Vermont? This definitely looks like a Seacoast idea. Love it! The name says it all and agree with everyone else — cannot wait to see the end result. Congrats on a great idea and making it happen

Linda Fleming says:

What a wonderful idea to do white feathers. I look forward to seeing the finished quilt!

Geoffrey002 says:

The white fabrics look great next to each other, great idea to make something out of those white feathers!