in flight

inflight
(photo courtesy of Laura at Windham Fabrics)

So, I mentioned that I had been doing a bit of sewing recently, right? I’ve been waiting to be able to show you what it is I was working on. I recently got the go ahead and I’m excited to show you this quilt, In Flight, which is made out of Lotta Jansdotter’s fourth line for Windham Fabrics (available early next year, I believe).

inflight6

Her latest line is called Mormor, and I’m totally smitten. In fact, it might be my favorite of her collections so far. There are lovely hot pinks, some pretty corals, wonderful grays and even a few purples, which so many stashes seem to be lacking. You can read more about Lotta’s inspiration for the line here.

mormor

I was so anxious to get sewing with it (and there was a deadline looming!) that I completely forgot until after the fact to snap a photo of these beauties, so this quick shot will have to suffice. I’m quite certain that there will be lots of (better!) photos of the full line as we get closer to Quilt Market.

inflight5
(yay for quilts!)

But back to the quilt! I had such fun making this one, not only because I love the line, but also because as it turns out, I kinda love flying geese! I decided to play a bit more with them and make a little something along the lines of my Flying Geese Gone Wild wall hanging. The wall hanging utilized a limited color palette, but here I wanted to play up those great colors, adding in quite a few colorful solids and combining them into fun pairs to make up the flying geese units.

inflight3

Don’t those colors just make you happy?

And here’s the back –

inflightback

Pretty pretty Mormor rainbow!

A big thank you to the wonderful people at Windham for giving me the opportunity to sew with this beautiful new collection!

Want to see the quilts I made for Lotta's previous collection, Glimma? Find them here.

This entry was posted in Fabric, Posts about Quilts, Quilts, [search] Liberated Quilts and tagged , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

34 Responses to in flight

Linda says:

Beautiful quilt and it showcases the fabrics nicely. Can I ask what method you use for the flying geese?

Staci says:

What a darling quilt! Flying geese are my favorite. Looking forward to seeing more of this fabric, too!

Tanis says:

Love this one! The fabrics are beautiful and I really love what you did with the backing! Gorgeous.

Alison says:

Just gorgeous. Full of so much fun and individuality. You at your very best.

mindy t says:

I am in love with this quilt! I have always wanted to tackle a flying geese quilt and I think this quilt just solidified it. I know what I will be working on next year!!

hapa cooking says:

Seeing this quilt this morning absolutely moved me! It is definitely my #1 favorite; the colors, the movement, I couldn’t stop looking at it! I’ve never really been interested in flying geese patterns until now. Is there a pattern or even some rough suggestions? This will be our bedroom quilt that I’ve been dying to make but just haven’t figured out the right look. Thank you and congrats on such a beautiful creation!

Umm I love it! It looks fantastic and it is very inspiring for those who want to get going on flying geese quilts, like myself.

Audrie says:

I love this collection! Can’t wait to get my hands on it! Beautiful quilt too… I’m in a flying geese mood myself :)

Jamie says:

OMG. All I can say. I LOVE flying geese, and although your Flying Geese Gone Wild is just about one of my favorite quilts ever, this definitely takes second place. I love the colors and your approach to the flying geese. I think I just died and went to heaven! :) I am SO HAPPY right now. :)

mathea says:

I love this! I was in love with your previous Flying Geese quilt and have been thinking of making one ever since, and now I just must have a go (after I have done the next two on my list…). I love how the geese go on all directions and come in different sizes – it is such a great design! The Mormor line looks really nice as well, no doubt there will be more fabric shopping before Christmas…

Tina says:

So fun! I was just thinking about starting a flying geese quilt with the old working shirts from my husband like you did one before, and now you show us just another one like this! I think, that’s a sign, that I should really give it a try, because I really love, how your geese are flying in all directions. Say, how big are your geese?

Brenda says:

Just gorgeous!! I loved your other flying geese, now I’m not sure which one I like better. :)

CJ says:

Love, love, love Lotta’s new fabrics. Love her previous ones too. I do love the blues, purples and greys she does. Wonderful.

Paige says:

Gorgeous! I loved the peek of this I saw on Instagram so I had to drop by and admire it some more!

Carla says:

So gorgeous! I love her fabrics and you have done them proud!

Tamie says:

This is wonderful and I love the prints in this line. Thanks for sharing.

Dominique says:

Absolutely gorgeous! I love everything about this quilt!

Lea says:

What a beautiful quilt and lovely fabrics. It is definitely a happy quilt.

Tonya Albers says:

I absolutely LOVE this colorful, wild, and wonderful quilt! I can’t wait until this line gets in stores either :)

Elise says:

This is beautiful, you did a wonderful job. I just adore flying geese and your quilt is so tastefully made!

Michelle says:

Is there any chance we could get more information about this quilt? Maybe the pattern, colors of solids you used?? Would love to make one of these!!!!!

robin says:

I do believe this is one of my most favorite quilts you have posted on your blog! Really! Would love to have one like it only bigger -so I could enjoy it on MY bed for a change. Oh, I’m so inspired now to go and practice my flying geese! Thank you.

Aloha, Jo says:

Beautiful quilt, beautiful child, beautiful display. You hit the trifecta of life with this post.

Susan Jonsson says:

Over the moon wonderful, happy quilt….Thanks for sharing….just what I needed today!

Teresa says:

As stunning as this colorful quilt is, I think I still prefer the Flying Geese Gone Wild wall hanging. It’s just more calm, yet vibrant with splashes of that orangey-red. Your work is always inspiring!

Margaret says:

love it, the geese must be very dizzy going all over the place and crashing into each other, it is wonderful

Very pretty. I love these colors Lotta is using.

29. Pingback: FITF: black and white in color | Film in the Fridge

sewjournal says:

Ashley that’s a really stunning quilt

karen says:

just beautiful and not quite sure how you found the time at the mo! I think Mormor may be my favouritest line of Lotta’s…but then I say that about every subsequent collection!

Sarah says:

I love this quilt so much! I love flying geese and the colours in this range are gorgeous. I am inspired to make a quilt totally from flying geese now.

Franziska says:

Pretty quilt, pretty fabrics, pretty colours.

34. Pingback: Spring Quilt Round Up - And Sew We Craft