flying geese gone wild

I’m so pleased with this little quilt. This stack of fabric was one I pulled for my Friday fabric stack #2 — I started with the wonderful Liberty of London Tom’s Jet print and paired it with some blue and gray solids and prints and one little spot of bright orangey-red.

I was inspired by this mini quilt from the Purl Bee. I like how the geese are flying in all directions, and I love how they’ve played with the different prints for the triangles and backgrounds.

I used this method for making 4 flying geese at a time. Fun! (and quick and painless!). Very quickly I had a pile of geese which I then arranged on the design wall. Since I used two sizes of geese, I had to add in a few additional scraps of fabrics to make everything fit, and I think those little pieces are one of my favorite aspects of the quilt.

I thought at first I’d add to it to make it a bit larger, but after spending a lot of time thinking of options, I finally decided to keep it as it was and turn it into a wall hanging for Max’s room.

Once again I quilted it with narrow straightish lines. I love the texture it gives the quilt, and I love this type of look, especially for a wall hanging. I wish I could show you a photo of it on his wall, but even though I did manage to make a hanging sleeve, and buy a dowel, I still haven’t managed to get it up on the wall!

This entry was posted in baby, Fabric, Posts about Quilts, Quilts and tagged , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

39 Responses to flying geese gone wild

Sarah N says:

I LOVE this quilt! I am obsessed with flying geese. Definitely going to have to make my own version of this. Thanks for sharing the pictures.

Have a great weekend!

Saraj

Brenda says:

This is gorgeous!!

Flying geese have so much energy and movement! And you have done them proud – they are practically dancing…

Natalie says:

Wow, this is gorgeous! Love the colors, and the geese flying every direction are perfect!

What a fantastic color scheme!! I love the way this looks!

Jan says:

Fantastic. I’m making my first flying geese, for a new quilt. If all goes well, I may try something like this. Great job.

Melanie C says:

I LOVE this quilt!! This is going on my “to quilt” list!!!

laura says:

love this! i have a stack of fabric pulled for a quilt very similar to this. thanks for more inspiration :)

13. Pingback: FITF: Friday fabric stack #2 | Film in the Fridge

Carla says:

The color combo is gorgeous! Your hubby is a good sport ; )

Jenny says:

I absolutely love this quilt. And I’m so pleased you quilted and finished it!

Cathy K says:

What a terrific quilt!!!! I really like it!

Linda says:

Darling quilt! I’ve never tried Flying Geese, but need to give it a try. How can you show us a quilt for Max’s room, without showing us Max? Shame on you….8-)

xo Linda

Pam says:

I absolutely love this quilt!

Kate says:

Love the colours, the quilting and the varying direction of the geese!

Britt-Inger says:

I love your geese. You are so inspiring and I have another ” must do”

I love it! The colors and different sizes really make for an interesting piece.

Sally says:

The first thing that came out of my mouth – that’s pretty. As always, thanks for sharing. I need this inspiration.

Brooke says:

Oh I was so inspired by the Purl Soho quilt when I visited there this summer and have been wanting to make a similar one ever since! I love your spin on it. And so glad you posted the link for the flying geese! Now maybe I will get to mine.

mathea says:

Great quilt! I love the idea of using different sizes and the geese going in all directions. You have inspired me to go have a look at my Flying Geese Ruler – maybe I can work out how to use it…

Leone Cabban says:

Can I please ask what fabrics did you use? I love the flying geese and the design. I want to make one in the Sam colours. Great!!

Franziska says:

I like this quilt a lot. I like the colours, I like the triangles. I’m inspired to make a wallhanging for my little one’s room, too, and making something like this one, too.

melissa q. says:

I am crazy for this color combination! Such a great look. This quilt is awesome!

What a lovely quilt. The texture is awesome. I’m glad you kept this one for Max!

Mel Nunn says:

Hi! I love this quilt and the tutorial is great, just had to rejig it a bit because the instructions on sizes aren’t crystal clear.

I’d like to ask you what the two sizes of geese are in his quilt? The colors are gorgeous!

Thanks, Mel.

32. Pingback: fabric sighting: remixed geese quilt « Ann Kelle

wudbquilter says:

your quilt was on todays site do you have a pattern for the layout etc tks

34. Pingback: My Week | Olivia Jane Handcrafted – Blog

35. Pingback: Piecing | nine05

36. Pingback: FITF: in flight | Film in the Fridge

Teresa says:

Love how the orange/coral makes the blues sing…. stunning in its simplicity!

Tiffani says:

I love this quilt! What are the 2 different sizes of flying geese you used? What was the finished size of the wall hanging?

Alyssa says:

I love this quilt and I was wondering what the different sizes of the triangles are and how big the quilt is overall.