making piles…

For a second there both kids were taking nice long naps in the afternoon and I had my hands free to do a bit of sewing. As expected, that didn’t last long, and now one child (ahem, Hazel) has decided not to nap at all. So now instead of sewing, I’ve been doing a bit of fabric piling. Pulling out fabrics and making bundles for possible quilts has always been one of my favorite things. It really doesn’t matter that most don’t actually become quilts – it’s fun to just combine and recombine the fabrics.

Usually I start with a favorite print, or a certain color scheme – pulling first from my prints and then adding in solids, but this time I decided to start with the solids instead, then add in prints afterwards. I don’t know if I have a preference, though it seems to me that it might have been a bit faster to start with the solids. It seems I had an easier time deciding on colors with the absence of patterns.

Who knows.

fabricstack2

In any case, this is one of two new bundles currently residing on my sewing table – this one loosely inspired by Fall, though again, more like really early Fall before the colors are really rich (or I suppose it could be a Spring bundle too!)

It’s got some peach, coral, amber, light green and a touch of gold and yellow.

fabricstack1

My second stack has more of those rich warm colors – a range of hues from light pink to darker purple along with some nice amber and mustard colors. And interestingly enough, all these bundles include some peachy solids and prints – apparently something I’m really liking lately!

fabricstack3

And lastly, a stack I’ve shown you previously, but which has remained stacked, so is still a contender. I’d still love to see a quilt made out of this lovely pile.

So which stack should become a quilt?

This entry was posted in Fabric and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

59 Responses to making piles…

Donna L. says:

I love the 2nd pile of fabric. I know what you mean my kids use to do that. It helps to have a mommy time to do what you like.

Deborah Gunthorpe says:

I love the middle pile :-)

Marion says:

I join Deb – the middle one ! So rich with colors….

I favor the first or second. Of course, opposite of the first commenter, which goes to show they’re all nice. I’ve been favoring peach lately as well!

Gunila says:

I love the second pile! Love the colors- autumn for me!

Linda says:

I also love the middle pile. Love those vibrant colors. Maybe it’s that tiny little extra bit of estrogen that Hazel contributes to the family that’s responsible for these new color choices….lol. I so love the pics of her. Such a doll. I’m surprised that she’s the one on a napping strike. Looks like you’re going to have your hands even fuller than usual with that little lady.

xo Linda

Karen says:

I like the middle pile! But, I’ve never seen anything of yours that I didn’t like!!! Wish I had your talent!

Ruthann says:

Middle pile for fall……..third pile for after Christmas

Anita says:

I really like them all but the contender is really pretty.

Kar says:

The middle pile for sure. Then the third pile and last the first pile.

Josée says:

They are all lovely. You got a great stash of fabrics. My favorite bundle is the first. I wish you some time to sew soon.

Míša says:

I love all of them!!
    Despite the fact that I’m a kind of “distinctive color maniac” I would like to see a quilt made of the first bundle.

Pat says:

They are all beautiful. I kind of favor the last one.

Pam says:

I rally like the middle pile. Your use of color is amazing!

Valerie says:

I’m leaning toward C as I’m partial to pinks and grays. However, both B and C caught my eye — I scrolled up and down several times to look at all three… A is on the low volume side and for that reason it doesn’t leap out at me. The other two stacks have warm, vibrant, “pick-me” colors in them that I just plain like! But I’m a bit biased when it comes to stash shopping… {grin}

Stephanie says:

I love the third stack. Those are colors I have been favoring lately :)

Marie Dejn says:

The first one, I like green more and more

Erica says:

I love the middle pile as well! I love all of them though. I always love the fabric and color choices that you make.

Tiffany says:

I’m so jealous of your stash! I love all three piles, especially the first one. I wonder if I have any of those colors in my stash…

Kay says:

If it were me then I would make all 3 into quilts, starting with stack 2, then stack 3 followed by stack 1. Enjoy!

melissa says:

this is one of MY favorite things to do too! most times they sit for about a month, then end up getting reorganized into the main stash. I started taking photos of my favorites so I can revisit later…

Brye Lynn says:

I love them all, but I am drawn to that second stack. You are so good at putting fabrics together.

Dominique says:

Well, of course, they should ALL become quilts. I have a soft spot for the first one. It’s green and pink, but not the usual kind. Soft with a zing…

dispack says:

I imagine you can pile, make stacks and photograph one handed, huh? :) Wow, you make it hard! I LOVE! all three.

Sonia B says:

The second one is my favorite, but they’d all make a lovely quilt. Wish I was brave enough to make stacks like these. So beautiful.

Michelle k says:

That top stack simply must become a quilt. Gorgeous pull!

laura hall says:

make something out of all of them! I love all your options…I happen to have some of the fabrics in stack three but like you, I’ve not made anything (hopefully soon a quilt!) out of them. Just enjoy making SOMETHING….out of any of them! Happy days.

CJ says:

Lovely. Putting piles of fabric together is really enjoyable, I know. I really like the third pile, it’s very striking and I would love to see you make a quilt from these fabrics – I know it would be stunning.

brenda says:

still love the peaches and grey!

janita says:

So fun to see the piles of others. I like to see if I have any of your fabrics :) Putting colors together is sometimes challenging for me. For me it is pile #3 that has me OOOOOHing. Thanks for sharing your non-nap time creativity. Janita

Susan Jonsson says:

I really love the third collection….Very difficult choices though.

Coastal gray says:

Last pile seems to be a nice balance, the other two more scrappy looking, though I like the colors in the second pile….. I guess the pattern plays a part too….
    Can’t wait to see your creation!

The 3 of them must become quilts! Los tres.

Angela A says:

I think I like the third pile the best, although I really love the first pile too. So how do you get from fabric piles to a quilt? How do you decide on the design?

Kathy says:

The third one is my very favorite but they are all lovely.

Kathleen says:

I’m all for the peach gray red combo

Tamie says:

Wow. Do you want to come pull piles at my house? I probably have enough stash for you to get a good start. I think all three deserve to be made into a quilt of their own.

Gillian says:

All of them! But if that’s not really helping, I’d start with the first. :)

Kathleen says:

I love them all, but the middle one really sings! I remember doing the same thing when my kids were small – stacking fabric and playing with colour and patterns. Enjoy your stash and your little sweeties!

Wendi says:

I favor the last pile. It’s been there for a while so you must love it (as do I) so just figure out what it is that you love about it and then crest creat and create some more!

jody deschenes says:

ha ha HA – ALL THREE! however, if pressed, i would choose #3 because to me it is the most unique, or perhaps it is just the one the farthest from what i would do…so i think that one should materialize! (and then someday, of course, the other two also) (:

Denise says:

I love the gray, coral & pinks~beautiful!

Marcia R. says:

It’s funny that the votes are all over the place. You must do all three! Oh, and the 2nd and 3rd are my faves.

darci says:

Definitely the last

All three of course! I’ve been working with a similar palette as stack #3 http://brigitgail.com/2013/09/26/scraps/ and I love the coral and gray combination. But I love the warmth and liveliness of stack #2, too!

C says:

I really like the peach and greys…..very pretty no matter how you put them together!

Lisa C in Dallas says:

I honestly like them all but I keep scrolling back to pile 3.

I love it all, especially the second. I am totally into this color combination lately and am really inspired by it. I can’t decide if its summery because of the pinks or fall-y because of the plums and mustards, but either way I am loving it.

Sandy K says:

I absolutely love the third pile! My kind of colors.

Maria says:

They’re all lovely, but the first stack is my fave!

Wow. I love all of these. It’s a comfort to know you may have close to as much fabric as I do, if you’re able to pull so many gorgeous pairings!

They all look seriously fantastic but I think the third is my favorite. Subdued but still such contrast between the colors. The middle set is great as well, so saturated!

Can’t wait to see what happens… or if these fabric piles cause you to start something entirely new, as happens to me all the time!

Lisa A says:

I like all three stacks. The first is so similar to some of my quilts. The second reminds me of sunset/sunrise colors – I love it! The third has all the lovely coral and peach colors and even though gray is not my favorite, it really works in this case. Personally, I’d go for the second grouping, unless you have time to tackle all three! This really makes me want to play with my fabrics, and also reminds me that a lot of the joy of quilting is the color play!

Nancy R says:

There’s something so interesting and unique about pile #3 that I love, and just after seeing it I came across this quilt “http://www.antiquarianbiblical.com/pages/quilts/links/54.htm” on pinterest.

Debbie R. says:

I love, love, love that third pile. It’s sensuous. Look forward to seeing what it might become, someday.

roccagal says:

luv all three-big surprise but #2 is my fave!
    (i’m sure whatever you pick will be one gorgeous quilt,like all that you make!)

58. Pingback: FITF: I made another… | Film in the Fridge