jam on!

umbrellaprints

Hey look! I have a little something sewn to show you today! Let me quickly assure you that this is certainly nothing I whipped up recently – I had been working on these blocks before Hazel was born and they’d been residing on my design wall for a while.

umbrellaprints3

A while back I made up a couple mini quilts using a couple pieces of the great heart print from Umbrella Prints. I ended up liking them so much that I snagged a few more of their trimmings packs so I could make a few more. I was pleased to find many more pieces of the heart print in a variety of colors so I set about putting together stacks of Cotton Couture solids to pair with each heart print (Max even got in on the fabric-picking action!).

umbrellaprints2

As each mini was completed, I stuck them up on the design wall and soon there was a nice collection. Even though they were intended to be mini quilts, the more I looked at them, the more I wanted to sew them all together to make one large throw. I took a quick survey on Instagram – “mini quilts or jam them together?” and it seems most were in agreement (maybe just humoring me?) that jamming them together was the way to go. As I write this now, I wonder why I didn’t just use the word ‘sew’, rather than ‘jam’, but funnily enough, my IG friends were down with the word, commenting “jam it!”, “jam ‘em”, “jam on” or just “jam” and so now I can’t look at this quilt top without thinking of some form of the word jam. But anyway…

umbrellaprints4

Despite the fact that these colors were selected for individual quilts, I’m really loving the way they all look together (jammed!) in one quilt top. And good news – I snagged myself a heart print bundle from the Umbrella Prints shop so there are plenty more hearts left for other mini quilts, should the mood strike!

This entry was posted in Fabric, Posts about Quilts, Quilt Blocks. Bookmark the permalink.

20 Responses to jam on!

Jacque. says:

Even though I missed the ‘jam or not to jam’ session, I think this is delicious!!! Great-looking quilt, as always!

elsa says:

Love this quilt! The first photo makes the fabric look like there are no seams ~ the colors are fantastic together.
    And that heart fabric ~ got to have some!

Carla says:

Another beauty. Glad you found a bit of time for yourself. Put your feet up today : )

Even if they weren’t intended to be together, they certainly look wonderful in one place. Love those colors!

Kathleen says:

You jammed them good! Love the color selection! As always, beautiful.

Jessica says:

I absolutely adore this quilt — the colors, the design, the hearts. Beautiful.

Linda says:

I’m glad you jammed them together! I loved the one you made w/the hearts, and this is just as lovely. Tell Max he did a good job helping mommy pick fabric.

xo Linda

Sarah Schraw says:

Looks great! I’m so glad you decided to jam for us.

Zarina says:

And I thought it was for a breakfast table top. Great work as always.

Btw – I have been away for so long that it came a shock that Hazel is a new addition to your family.

Janet M. says:

Great log cabin quilt top! I love all the color combinations.

That’s color blocking at its best. I think the fact that you didn’t plan to combine them makes the combined colors all the more interesting, charming and off beat. Very cool!

Lizzie says:

Absolutely delightful! I love all the colors, and they’re not screaming. It is so well blended…..
    PS I often love screaming colors, this is kind of between low volume and brights. super marriage!

I adore these colors–sometimes those unplanned color schemes are the best. Each block has such a nice harmony–great pattern!

tisha says:

Looks great. Huge success that you were able to get the top finished with your new precious baby.

Tonya Albers says:

Just Gorgeous! Love them all together as one quilt :)

ann says:

Thanks for the heads up – I just ordered some remnant packs too! I love finding interesting fabric from lesser-known sources!

Jamie says:

I just love this quilt of quilts! :)

Lovely Ashley! I love CC solids and these are beautiful with the square in a square pattern. Jam on indeed!

20. Pingback: FITF: taking stock, once again | Film in the Fridge