a little bit girly – a liberty patchwork quilt top

libertypatchwork2

This quick little quilt top came about without any reason – mainly just because I was looking for a bit of a distraction and decided to rummage around in my fabric stash. I couldn’t resist the idea of another sweet girly quilt – something nice and lightweight for the summer.

libertypatchwork

I started with the Liberty of London prints, pulling out several on white backgrounds and a few extra pink prints to round it out. Then I added in a few light-colored text prints and some corresponding cotton couture solids and a little bit of Essex linen. I cut them all up into 4″ squares.

libertypatchwork3

I really love the resulting combination – sweet, but not too sweet (thanks in part to that Cotton Couture solid in Moss, which tones down the pink), and a bit vintage-y. I plan on using the lightest weight Quilters Dream batting to keep this one nice and soft and light. The perfect patchwork quilt for a summer baby, no?

I purchased several of these Liberty of London prints as well as the Je Vous En Prie print from a new to me shop - Jones & Vandermeer. It's a lovely shop with a fun selection. I was particularly pleased with their generous cuts and quick shipping!

The other two french text prints were purchased from Ayumi's fabulous Etsy shop. Unfortunately she's out of both now, but I do recommend checking her shop periodically, as she always has interesting and unique prints!

This entry was posted in baby, Fabric, Posts about Quilts and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

20 Responses to a little bit girly – a liberty patchwork quilt top

Fran says:

It’s so very pretty!! Wish I had your knack for combining fabrics!

Tamie says:

I love this….I love pink with that surprise of another colour you don’t expect. I am looking forward to seeing it finished!

Kar says:

Beautiful! So very perfect for a summer baby. :)

jodi says:

Ooooh, so pretty! I love the French text, even tho I can’t read it -:)

Jessica C says:

This is lovely. I really, really like it.

Tracy E says:

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE!!!

Emily says:

thanks so much for the shout-out on your page! i love the quilt — so summery, sweet and feminine!

Stephanie says:

Lovely quilt! Thanks for listing that new shop, Jones & Vandermeer! It’s got an amazing selection. Can’t wait to see what new projects you’ll make for your little girl. Perhaps some cute dresses?

You chose the perfect combo of fabrics. I lean toward NOT TOO GIRLY too. And you’re going to adore having a little girl! So sweet and cuddly. My twin girls are a 180 from my son. So different!

annie v says:

I love the titmouse fabric. Where is it from?

Stephanie says:

Yes, Very lovely fabric choices for your little girl! I too, would like to know about the titmouse birdy fabric.

CJ says:

It’s lovely, such beautiful fabrics. I especially like the pale ones with text on them. I am a huge fan of text on fabric.

Meg says:

Love, love, love!!!!!

Rhea says:

Hey Ashley!

First of all, long overdue congratulations on the new baby girl on her way… such happy news!

Second, have you ever tried the wool batting from Quilter’s Dream? I think you might like it, especially if you want something that’s even lighter weight than the Quilter’s Dream Request. It’s poofy and whispy, like a cloud, but has a higher loft than the cotton. And it’s washable, too! Whenever I quilt with voile or lawn or anything lighter-weight, I always use the wool batting. It’s a match made in heaven.

I love geeking out about batting: let me know if you’ve ever tried it!

Also, where did that lovely white background/gray bird fabric come from?

Love the color/fabric choices in this quilt, and you CANNOT go wrong with good ol’ squares!

Fran says:

Love this quilt top, such a pretty combination of lovely Liberty & great solids.

Mary says:

So so pretty! I have taken a bit of quilting hiatus but some this simple and sweet might get me back in the game! Thanks for the inspiration.

sarah says:

Oh I love that mustard combined with the bright pink. Beautiful color choices!

Adrienne says:

This is just plain lovely! Your fabirc choices are perfect.

20. Pingback: FITF: pretty patchwork for hazel | Film in the Fridge