hooked hexagons quilt top

hookedhexagons

I showed you this stack of fabrics a couple weeks ago, and now I’m pleased to show you the quilt top I sewed up using those golds, aquas and grays.

hookedhexagons2

The inspiration from this one came once again from a pillow I had seen a while back (I’d love to link to it, but of course now have no idea where I saw it!) Pillows and rugs seem to be providing lots of inspiration these days!

hookedhexagons3

It came together pretty quickly since the blocks are a decent size (photo with Max above to show the scale), and I like how it really shows off big pieces of fabrics.

hookedhexagons4

I suppose I should clarify that it came together quickly after I finally figured out the correct math. Since I was going only on my memory of a photo, I had to do some calculations, and they proved more taxing than my pregnant brain could handle. I lost count of how many reject blocks were created before I got it right!

This entry was posted in Fabric, Posts about Quilts and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

30 Responses to hooked hexagons quilt top

Penny G says:

Amazing! Love that someone else sees a quilt, can’t remember where so wings it to make the first block. In my world, excess or oops blocks go in a pile to make donation quilts. Those have to be incorporated into something I think is fantastic. Which is a fun game for awhile. I try to do a 10 percent thing in donation quilts, which works with the leftovers of fabrics from quilts for others, oops blocks and my winnings in various giveaways. I don’t do this as a business like so many, I am blessed to be able to just have fun.

mjb says:

I like how it’s hard to see the block design from a distance.

I like the star effect the white triangles give around the linked hexagons :) Gorgeous colours too.

Amanda says:

Beautiful! Love the colors and your design turned out fantastic. Sometimes the ones that are the most difficult to figure out are the most rewarding :)

Tia says:

What a great quilt! Especially for boys. I would love a tutorial. Thank you.

Rebecca says:

It was a handmade block printed pillow from the John Robshaw collection at Onekingslane.com. They have time limited sales, so it’s not on the website any longer. There’s more info about him & his work with artisans in developing nations at johnrobshaw.com/about.htm

Jan says:

It’s lovely. Your pregnant brain does good work!

CJ says:

Wonderful quilt, wonderful colours and what amazing photos. You do find the very best places to take your pictures! Well done you.

Kathleen says:

So is there a pattern in the making?

Amie Tarpley says:

Great quilt, love the design! Kinda zoomed in to get a closer look at how the block interlock. Fabulous!!

jeanne e. says:

i really like this quilt top. the colors are lovely and soothing…the design is very cool and speaks to my love hexies, but with a twist! very nice. :)

This quilt is simply stunning! I want one myself! :) Would you mind if I try? I enjoy figuring out the quilt math so much (it´s my favourite beside sewing) My brain just jumped to calculations. So much fun.

Karen says:

Love that this quilt had such a modern look. And as you say, provides a way to use large pieces of fabrics you love. I am always looking for quilts that let you showcase favorite fabrics instead of chopping them into small unrecognizable pieces. Can you share your pattern dimensions/piece sizes with us–I don’t believe I’ve ever seen this pattern before! Thx, Karen

Camilla says:

I really love this! The scale is fantastic and the big pieces show off the beautiful fabric choices wonderfully! Amazing that you made it from a memory of a photo, gratifying that it least took a bit of maths effort!

Karen H says:

I am in total agreement with Needle little Balance. The quilt if fun, graphic and ever so fresh and crisp! You did a great job from inspiration to execution! Another one that I can’t wait to see finished!

Karen L. says:

This would be a great autograph quilt or wedding quilt that guests could sign. Would love the pattern!
    Karen L.

Carli says:

Wow, very striking quilt top. Yeh for another great quilt.

Pat says:

Great looking quilt top and I love the photo with the reflections in the water. It will be fun to see the finished quilt.

Lucia Brown says:

So fresh and beautiful. Will you be making a pattern?

Cindy says:

How cool is that- so unique!! I love it- design AND colors! I’m going to start looking at pillows and rugs alittle more closely!:)

Meg says:

This is great! Perfect for showing off big and/or favorite prints! Ashley, you have such a gift.

Patty says:

Your quilt is fantastic! And I love the photo with the quilt reflecting in the water. Beautiful work.

Franziska says:

I like that a lot! Also because of the colour combination but I like the pattern, too. I can imagine using a slightly different colour for strips “connecting” the hexagons but have no idea whether this would work.

Rob Kilmer says:

This is beautiful! Can I ask if the center of the hex is taller than 10″? I am thinking it might be a good pattern for use with a layer cake. Thanks for the inspiration :)

• 25
      ashley says:

These blocks are bigger and wouldn’t work with a layer cake, though I have adjusted the measurements and gotten it to work with a layer cake. I hope to post a quick tutorial and measurements soon!

Carol says:

I love the quilt. Would a 10″ layer cake be enough for the featured Hexagon? Just thinking about
    designs and my stash. Would love to see you put together some instructions. Watching Tropical Storm Andrea come up the East Coast. We live in Virginia Beach!

Krista says:

I may also try this if its ok – I have a layer cake I haven’t figured out how to use but when I saw your quilt I got inspired. Have you tried making the dashes in a different color? I will try that. I don’t really buy patterns anymore – the math is my favorite part – but I try to credit designerson the label.

27. Pingback: FITF: hooked hexagon collage – a quilt top | Film in the Fridge