a trip around the world, in scraps!

scrappytrip

Well, this quilt was not one that was on my list, nor was it one that I had even considered, but now? Well, I’m a bit obsessed! Right after Christmas, Megan posted a photo or two on Instagram of a few of the blocks she was working on. I thought they were pretty, and probably commented as such, but I was working on another quilt, and didn’t give it too much thought. Then there were pictures of additional blocks and before long, there were also more fellow instagrammers starting the same quilt. It didn’t take long before I had my scrap bins out and I was joining the fun!

scrappytrip3

I already mentioned that my goal this year will be to use some of my stash, and this seems like the perfect quilt to help with that. I’ve pulled out lots of the larger scraps, but also had a chance to pull out older fabrics that have been sitting for a while. And what’s great is that it seems like anything goes with this quilt! I love seeing the different variations being made – even though most are scrappy, they still each have a unique look.

scrappytrip2

In the midst of winter, I tend to be drawn to bright, happy colors, so I pulled a bright, vibrant rainbow of colors, along with some light grays. I’ve eliminated brown and black this time, and have mainly stuck with one color prints. I’m not sure yet how large this one will end up being, but since the blocks are somewhat quick and easy to make, you could probably make a bed sized quilt in a relatively short amount of time! (tempting!)

If you’re in the mood to follow along, the free tutorial can be found here. There’s also a Flickr group set up if you want to see other variations, or if you’re on Instagram, you can find photos by searching for #scrappytripalong. Thanks Megan, for the fun quilty start to 2013!

Happy New Year!

This entry was posted in Fabric, Posts about Quilts, Quilt Blocks and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

16 Responses to a trip around the world, in scraps!

Amber says:

Awesome. I have to do this. Trip around the world was my first quilt over 15 years ago (in high school). My mom and I took a class together and I picked out bright colors. The ladies at the quilt store were not so sure of my choices, but I’m still happy with it. I’d love to do an updated modern take like this, it looks great!

Pam Pollock says:

Love your quilt! The colours are perfect. Happy New Years!

Diane says:

Wonderful job on your happy and colorful quilt!

Jen says:

Love your colors, this looks amazing!

Pattie says:

This is perfect! I have a ton of scraps and want to make a quilt for neighbours who are moving – I think you’ve just helped me decide what to do. :)

Alycia says:

I love all the bright colors! We did them in Random Reds and blues with a white center for Quilts of Valor – I love how you can use everything!!

Your scraps are the BEST ever!
    I love all the fabrics in your version.
    This is my favourite so far.

Sara Hill says:

So many of you guys are doing this fun quilt, and now I want to but I’m in the middle of cutting for a hugely time consuming Other quilt. Waaah! I’m always out of step with the current thing. I’ll get around to this in a year or too. In the mean time, looking forward to reading your blog this year and watching your precious boy grow!

Dolly says:

You’ve sold me !
    Wow, your version is outstanding……and I looked at a lot of those other links !

I want to make this, but I want it to look JUST LIKE YOURS !

Lana D says:

OH WOW. Stunning! Great work there!

DivaMomCarol says:

Beautiful! Bonnie Hunter’s tutorials really are awesome, aren’t they? http://quiktville.com
    Your colorful rendition is gorgeous!!! Thanks for sharing.

Linda says:

What a wonderful new version of the good old tried & true Trip Around the World!!!! I just love it, especially the bright happy feel to it!!!
    Linda
    kokaquilts@xtra.com

Wow… they all look fantastic, just had a good look at the flickr group and then visited Megan’s… I’m jumping in too…. lots of Amy Butler to use up… 2 blocks made already….

Susan says:

Much brighter than the small one I finished on New Year’s Eve!

Jen Schultz says:

Seriously… drool. I had to go on etsy to buy a bunch of scrap bags so I could mix it with mine to get a bigger variety than the stuff I already have.

What pattern do you plan to finish this with?