ah, a Liberty throw!

What can I tell you about this quilt other than how much I love it? I started collecting Liberty of London scraps back when I started sewing, hoping to someday have enough to make up a quilt.

I always imagined making a throw – something to snuggle under while watching tv – though when I started cutting squares, I failed to consider the size I’d need, and without realizing it, ended up with a queen sized quilt top, rather than the more modestly sized throw I had intended (not that I’m complaining, mind you!). The only issue was that we had recently upgrade to a king sized bed. Thanks to some kind blog readers who sent along some extra squares, I was able to add to that quilt and turn it into a king sized top.

Though all along, I still was wishing for that throw I always imagined. I realized I might have enough left over for a second quilt, so I cut the remaining Liberty prints into 4.5″ squares and made up this small throw. I love the way Liberty looks in simple patchwork – even though some of the colors and patterns don’t necessarily go on their own, I like the way they come together in these simple squares.

I backed this one with light blue voile, because I wanted this quilt to be as soft as possible, and indeed, it’s so soft and lovely, I may never get off the couch! To keep it soft and drapey, I used Quilter’s Dream Request, which is their lowest loft. It measures somewhere around 50″ x 60″.

I quilted it with Elizabeth’s Dogwood pattern, which I absolutely adore. It’s fun to quilt, and I love the way it looks, especially on a solid backing. Plus, when you use this pattern with patchwork squares, there’s little to no marking needed (a bonus in my book!).

It’s bound in a little more Liberty, and well, I’m in love! If you need me you can find me on the couch under my new quilt!

You can find Liberty of London fabrics at these great shops -
the Organic Stitch Company (Jo also has charm squares already cut up for you!)
Pink Chalk Fabrics
Purl Soho

This entry was posted in Fabric, Posts about Quilts, [search] Charm Quilts and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

27 Responses to ah, a Liberty throw!

Lori French says:

So much gorgeousness in one piece… I dream of what I will do with my Liberty charms as I continue to collect them. You make simple so tempting.

Suzanne says:

I remember reading about you collecting those pieces and look at the lovely result. Cross that one off your wish list. You have a gem on your hands, or should I say, your lap?

elsa says:

oh, I love it! I’ve got a bit of Liberty and this may be just the thing to do with it (keeping it simple and about the fabric).
    You do such lovely work and I’m always amazed at how much you do with a little one around!

Sam says:

I would love to know some of the technical details for making a quilt with so much slippery fabric! Do you use starch? What needle size do you use for piecing/quilting?

Kar says:

I would be hibernating under the throw also. How awesome to have a Liberty quilt for the bed and a throw! I wouldn’t know what to do with myself. :)

It *looks* so soft and lovely… I can’t even imagine in real life! A dream couch quilt for sure!! : )

kristina says:

It is just beautiful!

Meg says:

Delightful! I hope to make a Liberty quilt/throw myself one day; yours is beautiful!

Kay says:

I have throw envy, so gorgeous!!!!!!!!!!!!

Marilyn says:

Beautiful!!! I can only imagine just how luxurious it must feel!

Cathy K says:

GORGEOUS quilt!!!!!

Mmmmm. I can just imagine how yummy this throw feels!

Alice says:

Just amazing! I too love Liberty! Enjoy your new quilt..

Judi says:

That is just lovely. I can remember being taken to Liberty’s as a small child and loving the tables on the ground floor with things made from the fabrics, hankies, tissue holders, make up bags, little floppy frogs filled with rice. I would spend ages touching and looking, to be dragged away by my mother to continue with our shopping. I still get a thrill when I go into the store and the fabric department is awesome.

Pam says:

Sweet! Did you use your regular machine or a long arm for the quilting?

Eva-Marie says:

I Looooove it. Lot’s of blogs talk about these liberty prints. I live in Holland and never heard of them. I’m not a flowery girl, but boy, do I love this quilt!

Lindsey says:

It is so gorgeous!! I want to make one sooooo bad! thanks for the tip about Jo’s shop, I had no idea how I was going to collect a bunch of squares.

anna says:

it’s totally stunning. and I love the quilting, it looks difficult, but I’m sure it was fun! :)

Beth says:

Simply beautiful!
    Smiles~Beth

erin says:

it’s like we’re twins! liberty prints, squares, light blue voile…only i did the orange peel instead of the dogwood. ;)

I really like this quilt, it makes you want to cuddle up with it..Love IT!!! Cathe

sarah says:

Is liberty of london a sheer, silky fabric? Or is there a cottony fabric line? Thanks for sharing your quilt.

25. Pingback: FITF: Jubilee! | Film in the Fridge