cubicles quilt

I love these typewriters, especially in this color! When Melody Miller’s Ruby Star Shining line first came out, I immediately wanted to use the typewriters in a quilt.

(ugh, wrinkles!)

I had a stack of solids sitting out – the aqua, dark eggplant, cream and red – with the intention of using the pairing for a quilt. I was so pleased to see how well they went with this typewriter print.

I don’t usually draw out my quilt designs in advance, but I did for this one, and surprisingly enough, it ended up quite close to my original drawing (which can be seen in this post).

I finished the top a while back, and as you know, it unfortunately ended up stranded in the closet. I’m really trying hard to work my way through those unfinished quilts so I pulled it out and made up a backing with the leftover fabrics. I love the backing almost as much as I love the front, so I’ll definitely be happy regardless of which side is up!

I quilted it with straight lines of uneven widths. It was definitely not a quick finish! I started counting the lines, trying to determine approximately how many I had left (as if that might motivate me to get it finished). I don’t recall now exactly how many lines I actually ended up sewing – all I know is it was a lot!

But I love the look and texture of those straight lines, so I think it was worth it.

This one measures about 60″ x 70″, so a great size for curling up on the couch this fall! (It’s been hot here this summer, so the thought of hanging out under a quilt – not good. But come fall, you know where I’ll be!)

This entry was posted in Posts about Quilts, Quilts, [search] Strip Quilts, [search] Wonky/Improv Quilts and tagged , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

47 Responses to cubicles quilt

Love it! Colours & type writer looks great! Straight line quilting takes ages but well worth it Xx

Camilla says:

That is stunning! A fantastic design, those colours are perfect for setting off the typewriters. Wow you’re really churning through those quilt tops now!

Suzanne says:

You did such a good job piecing those typewriters in line but what really impresses me is the perseverance you repeatedly exhibit with your pinstripe quilting.

ruth says:

lovely! soo soo pretty. i still need to get some of those typewriters.

Sus says:

I moved away from Vermont a couple of months ago and always enjoyed seeing if I got could figure out your photos spots! Where are those cute llamas!?! These pretty green Vermont views are making me miss it! The drought-ridden mid-west is, well…brown… Beautiful quilt and background :)

Kathie L says:

Your quilt is lovely, and the background is intriguing. Where did you take these pictures?

Bridget says:

I am a newbie to quilting and to your blog, and this quilt especially inspires me!

I have plans to make my second quilt for my great-nephew, and now can’t wait to get started.

(If only the one fabric store nearby hadn’t closed … that’s the down side for me …)

elsa says:

What a great way to use the typewriters. I was thinking of using this fabric in a quilt too, but couldn’t think of
    how to use it. You are always such an inspiration!

Carla says:

Love everything about it! The quilting was worth the effort for sure

NicciP says:

This is just too perfect! Great colors-love it!

Beth says:

Love the colors! Perfect with those cute typewriters.
    Smiles~Beth

randi says:

Wonderful! Simply perfect layout!

Yep, the quilting looks great! Glad you had a chance to finish this one.

Martie says:

This is just so cool. I am in love with the whole thing…the front, the back, and the quilting. What a great homage to typewriters!

traceyjay says:

it looks so great… such a fun design to feature those typewriters! Very pretty!

What a great set of fabrics and colors — so perfect for those typewriters. Love it!

nancy says:

Looks great, I’ve seen these typewriters all over and you nailed it!

EG says:

You’re right – the back is equally as special as the front!

Jenny says:

YES! This is the one I wanted you to finish. Love it!

Joy says:

Oh my gosh… I just found your blog… and I LOVE that quilt!

Susan Strong says:

Love this quilt (both sides) and the quilting!

Jessica C says:

I’m surprised at how much I love this quilt, since I’m not a purple/eggplant person, but this is just stunning. I love how you put colors together. You do it so well. I love the organic lines — always take forever, ALWAYS worth it. Beautiful.

Kitty says:

Wonderful quilt! It’s absolutely perfect: the design, the colors, the quilting. LOVE IT!

Clare says:

Great quilt – love it!

Karen H says:

This quilt represents the very reason I LOVE Modern Quilts. It makes me happy and brings a smile to my face through all its whimsy and character. Who knew that silly ol’ typewriters could bring such feelings of JOY within a person! hahahahahhahaha Okay, I am forming a line to buy your pattern. May I please be first in line? *smile* I’m going to bed tonight, dreaming of making this quilt!!!
    Karen

Genius! I love it! I can think of several “cubicles” that could benefit from this quilt.

Jillmc says:

Adorable! I may have to use this as inspiration for a “car” quilt for my grandson! And the scenery in your pix is so lush and gorrrr-jusss! Thanks for sharing your talent!

Karen says:

Ohhhh man do I LOVE this quilt. I could copy it inch for inch. What a beautiful job. I agree, I like the back as much as the front. Don’t you love it when that happens. I’m a newbie quilter so I’m taking in every beautiful quilt I can and this one is very inspiring.

To DAMN CUTE/./……I have seen people use this fabric other ways.. ahhhh, but this just fits all together.. Is this your Castle too, because I think that would inspire me to do a few things too…..

Lisa Cast says:

This is really an adorable quilt! Great job!

Meg says:

I love this ever so much. So, so much!

Rina says:

i do love your quilts! each one more beautiful than the previous one! and the background old buildings just enhances the quilt’s beauty!. thanks for sharing with us
    love
    rina

January says:

That is fantastic!! I heat the typewriters too & love how you incorporated them :)

Laura says:

that is a clever and adorable quilt. What machine do you use to sew and/or quilt? I’m thinking of getting something newer than I’ve got now with a bigger throat….just curious about what you use. Thanks, L

PT in SC says:

Love your quilt, photography and the local. You could not have picked a better location, the color of the rock, the geraniums, it’s lovely.

sewkatiedid says:

You’re inspiring me to finish up all those quilts under my bed. I love the straight lines. I always have to get into a radio show or tv series to complete them.

45. Pingback: FITF: taking stock… | Film in the Fridge